Probe port question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe port question

Okay, I'll admit it right out front; I'm mechanically challenged.

I completely understand the need for probe ports. What I don't understand is why use silicone grommets, couplers or anything. Why not just drill a hole and go?

I know I must be missing something so before I go drilling away I am stopping here for a couple of expert opinions.

Thanks in advance,

bob
    Yoder YS1500
    500 Gallon home made rig

While you could just drill a hole and go, you open yourself up for a few things that grommets or flanges will prevent. Secondary material wear is the number one reason for using a grommet/flange on a port. Since you would be rubbing metal on metal, there is potential that you could cause abrasion on you probe wire potentially resulting in probe failure. The second reason kind of goes along with the first, even if you painted the hole you would be rubbing the hole every time you inserted and removed the probe which could lead to rust, having a grommet/flange would prevent the potential to cause exposure rust. Grommets also will help with any sharp edges in the hole to prevent cutting the probe harness/wires. And finally, grommets/flanges make for a better seal on the hole.
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Hi

I didn't do mine, Yoder did for me. Mine does not have a silicon insert. Mine is a shiny grommet with a whole big enough to run at lest 4 wires.

It works fine.

Ed
      Yoder YS480
      Yoder Cheyenne
      Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
      Kettlepizza

Comment

Originally posted by veryolddog View Post
        Hi

I didn't do mine, Yoder did for me. Mine does not have a silicon insert. Mine is a shiny grommet with a whole big enough to run at lest 4 wires.

It works fine.

Ed
        Yoder didn't offer that when I bought my YS640, so I did it myself. I went the most cost effective solution with the high temp silicone grommets that cost 0.33 each. The other method that I would have done is to use a cable gland similar to what Yoder offers for $30 bucks a port.
        Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
        Frogmats
        Maverick ET 732
        Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
          While you could just drill a hole and go, you open yourself up for a few things that grommets or flanges will prevent. Secondary material wear is the number one reason for using a grommet/flange on a port. Since you would be rubbing metal on metal, there is potential that you could cause abrasion on you probe wire potentially resulting in probe failure. The second reason kind of goes along with the first, even if you painted the hole you would be rubbing the hole every time you inserted and removed the probe which could lead to rust, having a grommet/flange would prevent the potential to cause exposure rust. Grommets also will help with any sharp edges in the hole to prevent cutting the probe harness/wires. And finally, grommets/flanges make for a better seal on the hole.
          Your explanation makes all the sense in the world. Connectors ordered, along with the nomex gasket material.

Thank you!

--bob
          Yoder YS1500
          500 Gallon home made rig

Comment

Glad to help if I can...
            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
            Frogmats