Well you guys did it to me again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well you guys did it to me again!!!

I have a fairly good size gathering for the 4th coming up, and then the following w/e a family get together about 4 hours out of town. I figured I would smoke two butts one for this Sat and one for next. Now the flavor? what am I gonna do???
    I have some apricot preserves and thought great, I will get some apricot brandy and I can build my flavor profile from there.
    Off to the store to get the brandy.. what do I come across? the Jim Beam Red Stag.. Game over... gotta try it.. new flavor profile...
    So my butts are first a reduction of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat beer, thyme, a bay leaf and apricot preserves.

After reducing and cooling this was slathered all over the butts..

Now the rub had to also change, this is a combo of paprika, turbinado sugar, kosher salt, cbp, lemon grass powder, nutmeg, cardamom, garlic powder and the heat is the "hot" madras curry powder...

the rub up close..

The mop is the JB Red Stag, apricot preserves, and some apple juice..
    Its gonna be a long night! Yes Sir Richard, I did take a "snort" of the whiskey, kind of a tradition now, this stuff will warm you through and through..

The final pix will be some time tomorrow! Thanks for peeking at my REd Stag butts!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

I have yet to find that stuff here. I gotta go to the "city" I guess... Nice looking butt, eh! :{) You GO girl!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yep, sweet butt BBQG.
      SCOTT

Comment

and you wrote down the recipes right ?
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Good for you! I am glad people are starting to use the Red Stag!

Comment

I can tell right off, that's gonna be good! Looking forward to the finished product.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Wow those butts look really really good Kelly! woo hoo
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Yes we need recipes. They all sound very good. May as well put em all on one page and call it " BBQG's Hawgwash " LOL I have never really tried using fruit besides apple juice and fruit wood. I have been wanting to try buzzes apricot pork loin which souded great to me. Lookin Good Kelly.

Comment

Well . . . you're thread title says . . .

Well you guys did it to me again!!!
                  but . . . it is you who have done it to us again.

You've come up with another amazing flavor blend that we'll all have to try at some point. The list of things I need to try is getting longer and longer.

Looks (and sounds) like great stuff. Can't wait to hear how it comes out.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

After you mentioned it the other day I have been tossing around ideas for the reduction/glaze but you nailed it. Now I gotta come up with something else for this weekend. Nice work.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

pork and fruit are made for each other, whether its apple, apricot, peach, or orange. that is all i messed with so far and these fruit glazes take the pork to a new dimension. waiting to here how your mix is gonna work out for you, it sure sounds great!!! if its good you can just send me the recipie right over eh!!! cant wait to see your finish!!!

this is going to build you one heck of a bark as those sugars from the marmelade caremalize... esp since starting with them in the initial slather and then using more in the mop... i have always waited with the fruit glazes til towards the end. this is going to be very interesting.
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all!

Yes CA I did! lol!
                        BBQG hawgwash.. humm my cookbook title perhaps, thank Q Lee!
                        You really should try the fruit/meat combo you will enjoy it!
                        I love this bourbon, man o man!!
                        Here goes nothing!

Off, rested and starting to pull....

Twas very hard to pull between hands and fingers taste testing...
                        It was moist, love the bark wow, I forgot who suggested it awhile back (forgive me) but I did take some of it off and chopped it fine then incorporated it back into the meat cuz its yummylicous... It also had a nice smoke ring....

Thanks for peeking, I will come back and post the recipes, I am working on the two tri tips on the smoker now... dang I am tired!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

wow looks really good...and i concur fruit and pork go hand an hand....wow thats looks good.....im off tomorrow i might have to get something on the smoker.....nice work
                          Mike
                          Oklahoma City
                          22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                          Weber 22.5 Performer
                          GOSM 3405gw
                          Boomer Sooner Drum
                          Maverick ET-732
                          Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                          A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Where can I get those claws ( Don't mean the red ones) for pulling pork.

Herb
                            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                            Ducane 4100 propane grill
                            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Bbqgoddess: That is simply a masterpiece... Beautifully done...Love the bark and the view from here is just ravishingly pulchritudinous....SM I am still waiting for my Smello vision Plug-in...
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X