Refrigerator Pickled Asparagus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Pickled Asparagus

Been wanting to try this for a while and finally got around to it...... Didn't have thyme to pull oot the pressure canner, so thought I would give the easy version a shot. Was 1/2 short on liquid (vinegar water salt) and in a bit of a hurry, so the lighter colored jar got hot liquid to cover. Turned the Asparagus a lighter pale green. The other jar is pretty bright. Not sure if pic will show it? Basic Internet recipe with pickling spices....... Gotta wait a few days to taste them...... Recipe suggests 24-72 hours and said it will only keep for 2 weeks in fridge. .... Thought that was kinda minimal on fridge storage thyme????? Any thoughts on that???

sigpic

Oh yeah that has to be good...
    If the vinegar/water ratio is right then they should store indeffinately...But they wont be there long enough to find out
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

I'm just starting to get into canning and I was thinking about making some beans or asparagus like this. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        ... and said it will only keep for 2 weeks in fridge. .... Thought that was kinda minimal on fridge storage thyme????? Any thoughts on that???
        Not sure but that sounds like after opening a jar.... They look good though!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          Oh yeah that has to be good...
          If the vinegar/water ratio is right then they should store indeffinately...But they wont be there long enough to find out
          What he said^^^
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Here is the link, basically 50/50 water & vinegar, some salt & pickling spices

I used quarts & would recommend doubling the recipe for quarts

http://putneyfarm.com/tag/easy-refri...led-asparagus/
            Last edited by Fishawn; 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

I do my cukes with two parts vinegar/one part water...salt, garlic, hot peppers and dill...Works for me
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Here is the link, basically 50/50 water & vinegar, some salt & pickling spices

http://putneyfarm.com/tag/easy-refri...led-asparagus/
                Man they look really good Scott.

I'm thinking... Add a few Scorpion peppers and kick it up a notch!
                Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita
                Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                  Man they look really good Scott.

I'm thinking... Add a few Scorpion peppers and kick it up a notch!
                  That's a great idea Rob

If these turn oot decent, might try another batch with some heat
                  sigpic

Comment

24 hours in, had to test them oot. Pretty decent really. Might add some red peppers to a jar for a lil kick.
                    sigpic

Comment

I usually just use a good dill pickle recipe for canning pickled vegetables. Your asparagus looks really good to me! My patch should be kicking out enough next spring to can up a whole bunch of pickled asparagus!

If you want a real treat some time, try lacto fermenting vegetables. Best pickles ever!
                      Phil. 4:13
                      Scott

Comment

With that mix... those babies will last a long time. What..no garlic cloves?
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          With that mix... those babies will last a long time. What..no garlic cloves?
                          1 garlic clove in each jar....... Had a few again today, pretty good stuff

Those that like heat, might use it as a "base" for some heaters?
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X