My first run at canning. Watermelon Pickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first run at canning. Watermelon Pickles

I decided to give canning a shot so I went out and bough a bunch of stuff last week and made up a batch of watermelon pickles. I've only tried them once at my sister in laws and from what I remember they were awesome so I got her grandmas recipe so we will see what happens. Her recipe didn't call for a hot water bath or even putting the water/brine solution into the jars hot which worried me as I wanted them to seal so I decided to give them a 10 minute water bath and all of my jars sealed. She said that none of her jars sealed which didn't surprise me. I can't wait to dig into these in a few weeks. I just hope they don't get really mushy since I put the hot water to them.

Last edited by rbranstner; 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM.
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Interesting.... never heard of them....cant be that bad??
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

looks good, curious to see how yours turn out.

here is some I did a while back that were top notch:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...rmelon+pickles
      Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

I bet they will be great. Next you need to do some spicy pickled eggs with extra Rednick in them! Yummmm!
        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
        Yoder Wichita
        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
          looks good, curious to see how yours turn out.

here is some I did a while back that were top notch:

Those look good. After seeing my SIL's recipe I searched the web for tons of recipes as I was a bit leery about not boiling these and I found tons of recipes and just about every one of them said to boil the melon for some amount of time so I decided to go that route. I can't wait to try time. Mine are mixture of rind and the fruit which is what her family always does so I went that route. What I found online was people usually used the rind or the fruit but not both. I'll see how I like these and go from there.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
            Those look good. After seeing my SIL's recipe I searched the web for tons of recipes as I was a bit leery about not boiling these and I found tons of recipes and just about every one of them said to boil the melon for some amount of time so I decided to go that route. I can't wait to try time. Mine are mixture of rind and the fruit which is what her family always does so I went that route. What I seem to find online was people usually used the rind or the fruit but not both. I'll see how I like these and go from there.
            way to try something new.

i read as much as I could as well. Not an item i was familiar with, just knew I liked them when I tried em'.

Next time I will use Red Hots candies as well as the cinnamon stick for some more kick.
            Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
              I bet they will be great. Next you need to do some spicy pickled eggs with extra Rednick in them! Yummmm!
              I make pickled eggs quite often but I've never canned them. That's actually a really good idea, that way I can store them on my shelf until I actually open them. That's one thing I dislike about making egg is I always make a big batch and then I have to try and store that big container in the fridge. Well I guess I wouldn't technically have to keep it in the fridge because of all the salts and vinegar but I like to error on the safe side.
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              sigpic

Comment

Man those look good... I haven't had pickled watermelon since I lived in Stillwater, OK. aaaahhh memories! Nicely done!
                Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                Frogmats
                Maverick ET 732
                Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
                  Man those look good... I haven't had pickled watermelon since I lived in Stillwater, OK. aaaahhh memories! Nicely done!
                  Well give them a shot. You don't even need canning equipment with the recipe I received. But you will have to keep them in your fridge which I didn't have room for so I went the hot water bath route.
                  Propane Smoke Shack
                  UDS
                  sigpic

Comment

I've never seen any with the skin and meat of the watermelon. We always ate the meat part and then used just the peeled rind. Posted the recipe my family uses. Love the darn things. Dad grew up eating them. He's 73.

let us know what you think of your version.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Right on! Looking forward to your review
                      sigpic

Comment

I never heard of Pickled Watermellon----Sounds Great !!!

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

not something i think i would like.......still i would try it. i'm interested in the texture of the final product.........the color looks good.
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Well I tried the pickles and they are way to salty. I remembered that I was suppose to use 3/4 C salt and for some reason I used 1 C salt. Also they are a bit too dill tasting for me. The fruit part is a bit on the soft side since I put them in the hot water bath but they aren't as bad as I though they might be. All and all this batch was a disappointment I would still give them another shot.
                            Last edited by rbranstner; 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM.
                            Propane Smoke Shack
                            UDS
                            sigpic

Comment

You can add calcium chloride to aid in crispness. Ball makes a product called Pickle Crisp and it's nothing but calcium chloride granules. Some people add it to the bottom of the jar, others swear by adding it on top, but I have found adding it in the brining liquid works too.

Comment

Working...
                              X