• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new to dutch ovens

I just received two bauyo classic Dutch ovens, 2 and 4 qt
    Read about seasoning no problem
    But I keep reading no tomato sauce in it. Acidity and all
    Had grand plans for chili in those things. Is it just a mater of waiting until they season up a bit before doing tomato based cooks in it

Well you don't start chili with tomatoes, you start with onions an peppers an celery an oil...peanut oil here. Then ya start addin stuff, the maters come later soos it don matter. Be aight, gets youself onnit!
    (on edit) Oh yea on the starters I fergot salt, GBP, GRP, fresh garlic...did I mention garlic?
    Last edited by Mark R; 08-31-2013, 07:34 PM.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Re:

What do you aim to season your Iron with ?

If you haven't already done it with bacon grease etc, why don't you consider picking up some Flax Seed oil to do it with. It's an edible oil
      g that works well with Iron.

It would help to do some cooking in these where you don't have an
      acidy material in it when it's rather new. But to each his own.

The main thing is to not let them get rusty. Inside especially.

If you were to have a cool rainy day when it's in the 60's, you could
      heat up the kitchen oven and oil up those DO's and put them in there
      at say 350 F for a half hour and bring them out to cool outside. When you can handle them mop them again with your seasoning and stick them back in the oven. 3 to 5 times will have them beginning to turn
      black. Then you could begin to start some break in cooking in them.

I'd suggest a beef stew in the 4 qt and some kind of bread to go with it
      in the 2 qt.

When you wash your Iron, go easy on the dish washing liquid. (no detergent) Dry them well and apply a thin coat of oil to the inside and inside lid. You'll soon be able to make some chili.

I agree with Mark regarding the tomatoes being added later than sooner.
      The other ingredients should have already coated it and act as a buffer to the acids. Ya just gotta get that Iron trained right.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Good as Done guys thanks

Comment

In my experience many/most CI DO's are already seasoned, but it doesn't hurt to re-season. Never had a problem with tomatoes/sauce in a DO. Scotch Brite scouring pad for cleaning - then a light oil. Keep the lid ajar with some folded up paper towel to let air circulate.
          Weber 22.5
          Lil Chief
          1950's Crosley Shelvadore
          Bradley Smoker
          Maverick ET732
          Nesco Dehydrator
          Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Fresh tomatoes are a lot less acidic than the canned stuff. And as others pointed out, usually added near the end. Those aren't the big problem.

Sauces and canned tomatoes are more of a concern. I recently made gnocchi with a jarred spaghetti sauce on it. Baked in my DO for about 1 1/2 hours in the Akorn. This wasn't a heavily seasoned DO, but didn't notice any real damage. Some seasoning may have been removed, but not all. I won't make a habit of it.

The biggest problem I see is LEAVING it in the pan. Ever get lazy after making a meal and just throw the lid on a pan and toss it into the fridge? Never do that with CI! As soon as you can safely handle the leftovers, put it into appropriate containers and wash the CI.

Never use soap. Lodge makes some great tools for removing stuck on food. I bought both of these and my son has the red ones. They get into all the corners very well. Got mine off Amazon. They were add ons and shipped free with other things I ordered. Just an FYI.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/cooking-acce...aper-SCRAPERPK

http://www.lodgemfg.com/cooking-acce...ll-pan-scraper

I don't like to use the scrubber pads either. Instead, I found these brushes at the dollar store. Don't fill it with soap, just use hot water. They work great for CI. Stiff bristles, small, fits in your hand and gets into any corner.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Dispens.../dp/B004OUUVYW

Just wipe the excess water off and heat on the stove or grill to dry any water that may be in the pores. When cool enough to handle, wipe down with whatever oil you are seasoning with.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

If you clean your DO right after your cook and apply a light oil coating, you won't have any issues. Enjoy them and get to cooking!
              Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
              Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
              Yoder Wichita
              Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
              Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
              Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Congrats on the new Dutch Ovens! I agree with Ray and Wingman....if you clean your DO when things cool down enough to handle you won't have any trouble. It's when you leave that acid in there over night or an extended amount of time after cooking that gives you problems...I know...
                Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

I need to get over to Mom's place as she has a ton of CI that she doesn't use anymore and said to come and get it...
                  God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                  Weber Performer Gold
                  Masterbuilt 26" twins
                  Big Chief Electric smoker
                  Brinkmann barrel smoker
                  LEM sausage stuffer
                  Cabela's pro HD grinder
                  Maverick ET-732
                  ThermoWorks Thermapen
                  GrillGrates

Comment

Originally posted by BIGGLOPEZ View Post
                    I need to get over to Mom's place as she has a ton of CI that she doesn't use anymore and said to come and get it...
                    You gone yet?
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

You can season them right in your grill while your cooking something else. If they happen to get really crusty throw them in the oven when you put it on self clean. This will remove evrything though, even the old seasoning, so they will need re-seasoned. I do this with my cast iron grates.
                      sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                      Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                      Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Working...
                      X