Lump Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lump Charcoal

Ok really rookie question, if i plan on smoking for 9-10 hours, in a Komodo, which is like a big green egg, does anyone know about how much charcoal i need and will i need to add more after like 5 hours?

It depends a lot on what lump you have. Some last longer than others. Here is a good source to give you an idea how various brands last... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

OBTW... Welcome to the forum.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

I'm not familiar with your cooker, but most ceramic cookers are pretty efficient. I'd say at least 2 bags just to be sure.

My smoker is a off-set type, so it's not as efficient as yours, and I will burn a 10 lb bag in 6 hours with a pretty heavy "meat load".

I'm going to suggest that you buy 2 - 8.8lb bags of LUMP type charcoal brand: Royal Oak, Cowboy, etc, just make sure it's "lump" and not "brickets". The "blue bag" in my opinion, produces to much ash for a long smoke .

Hope this helps. Feel free to post questions here, there's a bunch of great people on this site that will be glad to help.
      Last edited by solar; 09-01-2013, 12:31 AM.

Brinkmann Smokin' Pit Deluxe: heavy gauge, modified
      Weber 22.5 Gold
      Weber Smokie Joe

"Racing Cars and Smokin' Q, what else is there to do ?"

Comment

I'd be surprised if you have to add much at all... those things are efficient as all get-out...

You should have probably done a test burn, but I doubt you'll go thru much at all. Get to know that pit!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

i was thinking on the same lines as Rich. Most green egg folks that i kno' brag 'bout the efficiency of their pride and joy.

That said you will have to play it by ear. Have charcoal on hand and be ready to add it. As you use your smoker you will learn its pulse and rhythms.

Good Luck and God Bless
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I'm guessing 3 maybe 4 chimney fulls for a ten hour cook. I got 6 out of a chimney and half and struggled with high temps on mine at first. I'll be interested in what it takes cause I'm still learning on mine.
            sigpic

Comment

My Big Green Egg XL takes about 10 pounds to fill the fire ring and it stays at 250 for 16-18 hours easy. Super efficient!!
              22" Weber Gold
              26" Weber
              BGE XL
              MES40
              Meadow Creek TS120 with BBQ42 Chicken cooker
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by notbobvilla View Post
                My Big Green Egg XL takes about 10 pounds to fill the fire ring and it stays at 250 for 16-18 hours easy. Super efficient!!
                That is eggsactly what i have heard....
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X