So about washing poultry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So about washing poultry

You guys see that stuff about not washing/rinsing poultry? What's your take on it?

I see the point about splashing but if you pay attention, take care, and clean as you go, then all should be well. Plus I get crap off of my meat that shouldn't be there.

I think things like this are aimed at the masses of clueless more than anything.
    I mean, when you are prepping that bird stuff is getting on the counter, utensils, clothes possibly, etc. You gotta be responsible and wash appropriately regardless!
    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
    You guys see that stuff about not washing/rinsing poultry? What's your take on it?

I see the point about splashing but if you pay attention, take care, and clean as you go, then all should be well. Plus I get crap off of my meat that shouldn't be there.

I think things like this are aimed at the masses of clueless more than anything.
    I mean, when you are prepping that bird stuff is getting on the counter, utensils, clothes possibly, etc. You gotta be responsible and wash appropriately regardless!
    probably right, probably have some folks out there who would rinse off a raw chicken over a colander of lettuce in the sink.

I rinse off the poultry I buy(carefully over an empty sink, then clean the area before working on anything else.).
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
      probably right, probably have some folks out there who would rinse off a raw chicken over a colander of lettuce in the sink.

I rinse off the poultry I buy(carefully over an empty sink, then clean the area before working on anything else.).
      X2 not gator though.....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        X2 not gator though.....
        Got that right!...Bud.
        In school they had is wash or rinse the chicken in a large stainless bowl. That way the the bird (parts) are never in jeopardy. Vegetables the same way but in a different bowl and if you're peeling, remember - wash, peel, then wash again. Then of course, when finished, you can wash the bowls in the sink.
        Last edited by Mark R; 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM. Reason: I can.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I think it depends on how much you enjoy washing your bird !!

Sorry---Couldn't help meself!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Won't convince me not tooo...Louie is a bleach & ammonia cleaner...if the bastard germ can grow after that chemical attack!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

So I see on the "News" tonight...they are talking about the water spray off of the chix around the kitchen can carry salmonella 3 yards. Not a danger to the chicken or to cooking the chicken. Spreading the "S" bug around the kitchen. .....So don't use the sprayer. .....

A slow day in the "News Biss"!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                So I see on the "News" tonight...they are talking about the water spray off of the chix around the kitchen can carry salmonella 3 yards. Not a danger to the chicken or to cooking the chicken. Spreading the "S" bug around the kitchen. .....So don't use the sprayer. .....

A slow day in the "News Biss"!
                I am not making this up. It was a year ago I saw this report. No shit!

You should not flash your toilet. The violent water action of flashing will spread #1 and #2 all over your house.

dcarch
                Last edited by dcarch; 09-04-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
                  I am not making this up. It was a year ago I saw this report. No shit!

You should not flash your toilet. The violent water action of flashing will spread #1 and #2 all over your house.

dcarch
                  I'm guessing you meant "flush." If so, there some truth to what you stated. My brother the dentist has to take lots of continuing education. One day he told me a habit to get into if you really want to be safe is to close the lid on the toilet before flushing. Evidently the action in the toilet can release small particulates into the air.

True story.

bob
                  Yoder YS1500
                  500 Gallon home made rig

Comment

Originally posted by jzzmusician View Post
                    I'm guessing you meant "flush." If so, there some truth to what you stated. My brother the dentist has to take lots of continuing education. One day he told me a habit to get into if you really want to be safe is to close the lid on the toilet before flushing. Evidently the action in the toilet can release small particulates into the air.

True story.

bob
                    Holy Shit..............................
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

True story.

bob
                      Myth busters did an episode on this one time. They left their toothbrushes in a small bathroom with a toilet and did their business everyday. They tested the toothbrushes daily for anything abnormal and got nothing.

Mark, the splash is what it's all about. Who doesn't pay mind to that though when rinsing meat?
                      I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                        Mark, the splash is what it's all about. Who doesn't pay mind to that though when rinsing meat?
                        I use a bowl not a spray nozzle or faucet. The idea is to rinse, not shower.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm guessing you meant "flush." If so, there some truth to what you stated. --------
                          bob
                          Internet and computer can be strange. There is an identical topic posted in another food forum, and I posted the same story with "Flush".

I basically copied my post to here, and "Flush" became "Flash"!

dcarch

Comment

wash your meat !
                            Just don't play with it in public
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

if you wash it more than twice you're playing with it!
                              Mike
                              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                              X