Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Bean, Corn , Smoked Chicken and Drippin's Soup

Black Bean, Corn , Smoked Chicken and Drippin's Soup

In the freezer I always save my drippin's and left over au jus from smoking or roasting to make bean soups or BBQ beans. I especially like to save the drippin's from "crutching" beef or pork on the smoker or grill. The au jus liquid in the foil after the Crutch makes an amazing bean soup stock addition.

Be sure to scrape the fat off your frozen drippin's once it has thawed a little. You can save the fat and use it to make gravy. That fat makes amazing country gravy that will drive people crazy trying to figure out the "secret" ingredient is in the recipe.

I like to occasionally grill or smoke two whole chickens on a Saturday or Sunday and use the meat for lunch and dinner during the week. We rarely finish all the chicken by the following weekend so I use what is left to make bean soup. It is actually an easy "taste" recipe to make so make liberal use of the amounts of spice to match your desired flavor profile.

What follows is a recipe that really never tastes the same twice, but it is always delicious with a smoky goodness. Easy to make year-round. You really can't screw this up except to make it too salty, so don't worry about being exact with measurements.

You can use any dried beans you desire, even a bag of 15 bean soup. The reason I use black beans is that they have substantially less of the explosive enzyme that causes your gut to contribute volumes to the global warming dilemma.

The recipe below makes a BIG pot of soup, so plan on having leftovers or company!

Ingredients
    1 lb black beans, soaked and drained
    2 smoked chicken carcasses, complete with skin and any drippings
    2 large sweet onions, diced
    2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes. Used fire roasted canned tomatoes or Rotel (3 cans of Rotel)
    1 Tbs cumin
    1 Tbs garlic powder
    2 tsp fresh, cracked black pepper
    2 cups drippin's or crutched au jus from a previously smoked, BBQ'd, or roasted chicken, pork, or beef dish.
    2 cups apple cider
    Salt as needed
    2 large baking potatoes, cubed (optional)
    2-4 cups frozen sweet frozen corn (we usually use 4)

Directions

1. On Friday night I start soaking a bag of black beans.

2. Saturday morning I throw the two chicken carcasses in a stock pot, pulling them apart so they fill the bottom of the pot, then cover them with cold water. I add whatever drippings were left in the chicken dishes too. Then I simmer the chickens covered for 2 hours until the meat falls off the bones. I dump the contents through a strainer into another pot, pull out the bones, then cut up any large pieces of chicken. Once I have discarded all the bones, skin, and cartilage, I begin making the soup.

3. In your soup pot add the drained black beans to the smoked chicken stock and chicken meat.

4. Add the onion, tomatoes, spices, apple cider, and 2 cups of left over drippings from any previous smoking/grilling adventure. Don't worry if it is still a little frozen, that won't last long.

5. Stir well, and taste to make sure spices are how you like them. Usually it will need salt. Add any additional spice or salt as needed, just don't over salt if you can help it.

6. Simmer with a tilted cover 1 hour to allow some of the liquid to boil off. Then simmer covered for the next hour.

7. Add frozen corn and potatoes (optional) with about 30 minutes left. Cover and simmer for the last half hour. The potatoes are good if the soup is a little too salty. They will absorb salt. You can either take them out when the soup is done and eat them or leave them in the soup. Your choice.

8. Serve with crusty bread and butter.

Servings: 12
    The big oak tree in my backyard ain't just for shade any more since I started smoking meat!

now that there is one fine recipe. thank you for posting and allowing me to add it to both my collection and to do list
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I like the sound of it too.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

It's great for freezing too and taking to work for lunch. When I heat it in the microwave people walk by and say "OMG that smells incredible! What is it?" I tell them its "Homemade Drippin's Soup."
        The big oak tree in my backyard ain't just for shade any more since I started smoking meat!

Comment

OH man that sounds awesome.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X