This bucket is food safe correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This bucket is food safe correct?

Sure looks like it to me with the glass and fork and no bpa symbol, but it says its a paint bucket on Lowes website and rings up that way.

A symbol depicting a cup and fork means that the plastic is safe for storing food, and is therefore a food grade bucket. Other symbols include radiating waves meaning "microwave-safe," a snowflake meaning "freezer-safe," and dishes in water meaning "dishwasher-safe.

Check the recycling symbol on the bottom of the bucket. The quickest and most reliable way to check for food safety is by consulting the recycling number. This number will be between 1 and 7 and will be stamped inside a triangle of arrows. As a general rule, the numbers that are safe for use with food are 1, 2, 4, and 5.

found this and more info at http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
      A symbol depicting a cup and fork means that the plastic is safe for storing food, and is therefore a food grade bucket. Other symbols include radiating waves meaning "microwave-safe," a snowflake meaning "freezer-safe," and dishes in water meaning "dishwasher-safe.

Check the recycling symbol on the bottom of the bucket. The quickest and most reliable way to check for food safety is by consulting the recycling number. This number will be between 1 and 7 and will be stamped inside a triangle of arrows. As a general rule, the numbers that are safe for use with food are 1, 2, 4, and 5.

found this and more info at http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets
      Thank you sir!

Comment

Great info! Thanks erain.

Comment

Well done E!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thank you E! :bow:
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Why are you buying food safe buckets? Go to your local bar/burger joint and they will happily give you buckets they get pickles in for free. With covers. Perfect brining buckets.
              G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                Why are you buying food safe buckets? Go to your local bar/burger joint and they will happily give you buckets they get pickles in for free. With covers. Perfect brining buckets.
                Thats funny you say that because I bought 2 pickle buckets at Firehouse subs right before I bought these at Lowes, I decided I dont want to deal with that pickle smell that never seems to go away. I am using the buckets to make a redneck Berkley water filter system, so no pickle stink please lol the new ones were only 3.99 each. Thanks for the idea of what to use the pickle buckets for though, I never brined anything, need some of that mad hunky brine now lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                  ....I dont want to deal with that pickle smell that never seems to go away.
                  LOL! i brought some home from work for a brass sorter for reloading and it took 2-3 weeks to get that smell out of my garage......mind you it was 110+ deg in there too. if some place has boiled eggs in the big buckets......they are MUCH better to use, no smell at all.
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                    I never brined anything, need some of that mad hunky brine now lol
                    You would be wasting brine... use a gallon (or larger if needed) ziplock and "burp" the bag. You only need enough brine to keep the meat covered. In a bucket..that's WAAY too much waste. A quart of MH brine easily does a whole chicken in a gallon "zippie".
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

If you live close to a Costco, Sams Club or any Grocery store that has a bakery in it you can usually get food grade buckets that had frosting or other baking materials in them for very cheap if not free. They usually have hundreds of them.
                      Propane Smoke Shack
                      UDS
                      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        You would be wasting brine... use a gallon (or larger if needed) ziplock and "burp" the bag. You only need enough brine to keep the meat covered. In a bucket..that's WAAY too much waste. A quart of MH brine easily does a whole chicken in a gallon "zippie".
                        That's very true Rich. I usually go with the bucket method when I am brining multiple birds for Thanksgiving.
                        Propane Smoke Shack
                        UDS
                        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                        sigpic

Comment

If you get know people who work in the food service industry you should be able to get all the buckets you need or want very cheap or free. Catering or Banquet Halls are a great place as well. They tend to get items that are pre prepped like pie filling, potatoes, pickles and hard boiled eggs. Most places just throw them away, but if you catch them on the right day or even be friend one of the Chef's with a Smoked Food Offering they may save some for you. Yes the pickle and egg buckets carry and odor, but if they run them through their dish machine a few times it will cut it way down. We also get these rectangular boxes our fish gets delivered in. They are very nice size and fit in the fridge very well too. They also do not keep the fish smell if run through the dish machine.

Jeramy
                          Plywood Smokehouse
                          Char-Griller Outlaw
                          MES 30"
                          AMNPS
                          2- 6" AMNTS
                          Super Aladin Smoker and Aromatizer
                          Home Made Cold Smoke Gun
                          Polyscience Smoke Gun
                          2 - Maverick ET732
                          Still more to come as time allows.......

Comment

so i am research this filter thinking.... pretty cool idea then it dawns on me!

what the frak do you do when you run outta filters
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

My wife uses a mix of 50% vinegar 50% water in a spray bottle and it gets the smell of fish out of my coolers. It works really good kills any odor that I've gotten in my coolers. With that said it should work on a bucket but I don't know. also straight rubbing alcohol is one of the best window cleaners you can use. hope this helps
                              Last edited by Blue Dog BBQ; 12-11-2013, 11:41 AM. Reason: Misimforation
                              sigpic
                              Weber 22.5 kettle
                              Smokin in the Smokies
                              Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                              Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X