Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm realling loving this canning thing. 6 Quarts of Slippery Hots canned tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm realling loving this canning thing. 6 Quarts of Slippery Hots canned tonight.

I'm really getting into canning after buying all the stuff a few weeks ago. I've done watermelon pickles, pickled eggs and now some slippery hots. I think I'm going to do some apple butter this weekend as well but I'm looking for more idea's. What are your guys favorite things to can? I've made salsa before but I don't have any tomatoes. I'll have to see if I can hit up a road side stand and find some more produce. I'd like to make up a few more things yet this fall. Maybe pickled/spicy green beans, salsa or anything else fun you guys can come up with.

6 Quarts of Slippery Hots. I can't wait to dig into these. My buddies mom use to make these and we would always dig into them when we were a bit tipsy at his house. Man they were good. I hope they turn out like I remember them.
    Last edited by rbranstner; 09-11-2013, 01:16 PM.
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Very nice... hot pickles rock! Do you have a recipe?
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Nice!

Try some hot green beans
      sigpic

Comment

Chili relish, chow chow, cauliflower. ........lots of possibilities. .....
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

those look great!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I am sure the canning gods will strike me down for even mentioning this but what the hell.... For the last 5 years or so I have cheated when making my salsa and spaghetti sauce, I have been using canned tomatoes. I know it is a cheat but my garden does not like to produce tomatoes and I am not spending an outrageous amount for fresh tomatoes else where when I am canning 50 plus quarts of stuff. So one year I gave it a whirl and it turned out amazing and a lot less work than blanching and peeling 100's of tomatoes, not to mention the cost savings. I bought a super size can of tomatoes at Sams Club for around $3.00 and I was off and running.

Sorry to offend and of the canning gods......
            Where to Shop -
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
            https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by TATONKA3A2 View Post
              I am sure the canning gods will strike me down for even mentioning this but what the hell.... For the last 5 years or so I have cheated when making my salsa and spaghetti sauce, I have been using canned tomatoes. I know it is a cheat but my garden does not like to produce tomatoes and I am not spending an outrageous amount for fresh tomatoes else where when I am canning 50 plus quarts of stuff. So one year I gave it a whirl and it turned out amazing and a lot less work than blanching and peeling 100's of tomatoes, not to mention the cost savings. I bought a super size can of tomatoes at Sams Club for around $3.00 and I was off and running.

Well, l may be guilty of certain transgressions myself. I absolutely hate cleaning tomatoes.......
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by TATONKA3A2 View Post

That's a wonderful idea. I've been going the next step easier than that even which is to just buy my salsa at the store. I'm just thinking to myself do I even want to dick with making salsa when I like the store bought stuff just a well and there's no work involved? If I had tons of tomatoes that I was trying to use up in a garden well then I can understand but being I have to buy everything anyway I think it may be just as easy to not make any and just buy it. Just my thoughts.
                Propane Smoke Shack
                UDS
                sigpic

Comment

So what are watermelon pickles and how do you make them? Ever try to make bacon relish?
                  Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

Originally posted by whitey View Post
                    So what are watermelon pickles and how do you make them? Ever try to make bacon relish?
                    Watermelon pickles are basically dill pickles but made out of sliced watermelon. I've only had them once and they were really good. some people make pickles out of the red fruit and some make them out of just the rind. I made some a week or so ago but I screwed up the recipe and put way too much salt and I think too much dill so they aren't very good. I think I'm going to dump them out and make a new batch. If you google watermelon pickles you will find tons of recipes. Here is the thread I started on mine.
                    http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29962

No I've never heard of bacon relish. But if it has bacon in it, it's gotta be good right??
                    Propane Smoke Shack
                    UDS
                    sigpic

Comment

Heres my pepper jelly. Won blue ribbon at my home fair:

1 1/2 Cups cranberry juice
                      1 Cup of vinegar
                      2-3 fresh jalapenos halved
                      1 habanero seeded and finely chopped
                      5 Cups of sugar
                      1/2 of a 6oz. Pkg. (1 pouch) liquid pectin

In saucepan combine juice, vinegar, and peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain mixture thru a sieve and measure out 2 cups.
                      In a heavy kettle combine the 2 cups liquid and sugar. Bring to a FULL rolling boil stirring constantly. Stir in pectin and habanero. Return to a full boil for 1 minute. Take off heat and skim off foam with a metal spoon
                      Ladle at once into sterilized half pints, leaving 1/4 in. Headspace. Process for 5 minutes @ sea level. Place on rack to cool
                      sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                      Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                      Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
                        Very nice... hot pickles rock! Do you have a recipe?
                        Yea I have the family recipe from my buddy. I can send it to you if your interested. PM me if you want it.
                        Propane Smoke Shack
                        UDS
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X