No announcement yet.

Pork & Feather - Ah ha, Gooink Smoke !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork & Feather - Ah ha, Gooink Smoke !

Gobble and Oink (no sniggering at the back !)

Or: smoking cured boned turkey thigh and a small piggy leg joint for smoked ham.

Now I'd love to tell you what the cure recipe is - but I'm buggered if I can remember what it was.
    I do remember it was low in salt, fairly sweet and what smells like a lot of coriander :-)
    Other than that - not a clue, it was 2 weeks ago and I didn't write it down.
    Anyway here it is, just gone on smoker. Removed the elastic netting for rubbing on cure and put it back as the turkey was hacked up a bit and the leg wasn't entirely whole either :-)

More pics in a couple of hours or so or when I slice it :-)
    Got a friend coming to stay who raved over the smoked ham last time so thought it would be a good idea to have some :-)
    And the turkey thigh ham is an experiment - let you know what it turns out like :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Weather changed slightly lol
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

What was that? Your waterproof thermo cover. A Frisbee? Cheers!!
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Try a zip lock bag... Works well for me... Cheers!!
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I've use a 5 qt plastic ice cream pail. Can fit 3 or 4 under it. Doesn't seem to mess with sending signals either.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

lol it was actually the top of the water butt (big barrel that collects rainwater) seemed appropriate :-).
            The turkey came out at about 3 hours but the piggy ham stalled for an hour at 140 - first time with a ham and a small one at that, the rain had stopped by then and we sat out for the bbq - till it started raining again lol

More pics later when I take them out of the foil and slice - they looked pretty good though, felt nice and tender.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Okay final pictures while I'm waiting for the rain to stop.
              Out of the fridge

you can see how the turkey thigh was made up of lots of little muscles.
              Didn't slice so much as chunk :-)

The pork is fabulous and made up 15 4 slice vacpacks. What with the unsmoked ham, pastrami, bacon and smoked ham - I'm keeping us in very expensive sandwich fillings for very little money :-)

Comparison wise: the turkey is slightly sweeter and has a marginally softer texture - but if you weren't told I'd defy anyone to know it wasn't pork.
              The cure imparted a spicey aromatic flavour with a hint of sharp salt and spikey heat that gets you after a few slices, the coriander is noticeable but not overpowering. The oak gives a very mild smokey flavour with zero harsh notes.
              Were I able to find a small artisan delicatessen who smoked their own dry cured ham and bought this stuff it'd cost about £20 per pound Minimum ($30)- And I doubt it'd be as good.
              I think both joints cost me about £10 ($15) combined.

And compared to smoking on the bradley it's more relaxing, about 20 times cheaper (that's not a misprint) and tastier.

Paid £5 for 7kg of charcoal, I've used about half the bag on the last three smokes - wood was free. (just picked up 4 or five smokes worth of commercially seasoned oak too).
              Wood alone would have cost me about £20 with the bradley and that's before you throw in the cost of the watts.
              So total cost of smoking on the outlaw approx £1 per smoke

If you're reading this and wondering electric or charcoal - charcoal and wood is the way to go :-)

And note to self: write the bloody recipes down - this stuff is fantastic, but I have no idea what I used in the cure rub lol
              Attached Files
              Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM.
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Well your backyard is sure beautiful with all that rain... ;)
                Everything looks fantastic, I am glad your experiment was a success... hummm... what was that about writing things down..? LOL!!
                Great smoke inspite of your crazy weather Alex!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

lol it's not crazy - it's just weather, something you california folk don't get :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                  X