Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet question, looked through posts more than a few pages back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet question, looked through posts more than a few pages back.

I'll try to make it short. My second post. I have a Yoder 640 on the way and am looking at local source pellets. About a mile away is a place that has commercial wood for smoking etc, logs, all sorts of goodies.

They have Milts Original Gourmet 20#, says pure on the labels, all sorts of mixes.

They have Q Pellets. 30# Comp/ Premium, etc etc. I know these are blends.

They have #40 lb bags of Q Pellets also.

Are these decent brands? or :(

They sell them at $.85 a lb. I'm not a comp smoker and will smoke 20-30 times a year. With The Yoder, that will prolly be more often I think. I hope.

Lemme know, if they are decent brands, I'd like to stick with these. I'm moving from an electric smoker to the real thing.

And, any Vegas Smokers out there? Beer is on me.

I cook on the YS640 and have used the Q Pellets. I really liked them. They are good quality buring and provide a good smoke flavor. I think it would be worth trying a bag so you can judge for yourself. Can't help with the other ones you listed.
    I'm no Gynecologist
    But I'll take a look at it

Comment

Thanks! Appreciate the input.

Comment

Wingman, MossyMo, and the other pellet heads should be along at some point. If you need more help send Wingman a PM. He has been running the YS640 since the beta testing.

Comment

I use B & B brand from Academy Sports. They are $0.50 per lb. If you have an Academy nearby, it is worth a visit.

Ed
          Yoder YS480
          Yoder Cheyenne
          Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
          Kettlepizza

Comment

Not sure how many you want to have on hand but that is not a bad price point for cash and carry pellets... If you want a large quantity get a 1/2 ton and you generally can find them for around .50 a pound give or take.

I am a lumberjack man as they have 100% hardwoods no blends, so you are getting the "flavor" or wood type that you want not the oak or alder.. I do like 100% oak though as well.

Hope that this helps. Like others have said buy a bag as see how it goes.. I am sure you have burnt through 20 bucks before sitting at a bar once or 100 times in your life.. I know I have ... alteast here you are getting Q!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I believe that Q pellets are private labeled Lumberjack.

ATBBQ has a standing deal of $8 a bag, plus shipping, for BBQR's Delight for a pallet (56 bags) of one flavor of pellet. Call and talk to Don about it.
              G'Pa Herb's herbs
              KCBS CBJ CTC

Yoder YS640 w/black comp cart
              Custom made Chimney mount for Mavericks w/6' leads

Pictures of my "tool" http://smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=258

Comment

I think the best way to get a deal is to purchase bulk pellets. I use three main pellets in my YS640... Lumberjack, Bear Mountain and Pacific Pellets. I like BBQ delight, but they are nearly twice the cost here locally. I typically get 2 of them from my local bbq dealer in Sherwood Sam's BBQ - Bear Mountain and Pacific Pellet Gourmet BBQ Pellets for $0.50 lb or $9.99/20lb bag (http://samsnwbbqco.com )
                Sam is a great guy and has always gone above and beyond.

Here are a couple of links for getting bulk pellets by the pallet:

Sam's pellets by the pallet
                http://samsnwbbqco.com/we_ship_bbq_p..._by_the_pallet

Lumberjack by the 1/4, 1/2 or full pallet
                http://www.bbqpelletsonline.com/
                Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                Frogmats
                Maverick ET 732
                Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Love to buy in bulk, but don't smoke that much. If I could find a few Vegas pellet heads then possibly a partial pallet buy could happen.

Thanks for the input, still looking for someone that has used the pellets I mention. No matter what, going to buy 2 #40 bags and get some rollaround holders for them soon.

Comment

I put my pellets into dog food containers that I got at Petco. They are airtight and fit perfectly into the storage shelves.

http://www.petco.com/N_22_4294956708...d-Storage.aspx
                    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                    Frogmats
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I am in Henderson and just got a Rec Tec. I got a couple hundred pounds of pellets from them and some Ozark Mountain pellets(alder blend) from k-mart so I am set for now. When I run low I might be interested in splitting a bulk order with you though.

What is the pellet source you are talking about? I know of Nevada Outdoor Living here in Henderson. I stopped in there to check out the GMG and Memphis grills before I bought the Rec Tec. They seemed like good people and had a variety of pellets on hand. I didn't think to ask about pellet cost though.

I've got a large deck box that should be delivered to me today that I plan on putting all of my stuff into. I bought two of these on sale for $10.77 from Lowes to try out:

I haven't filled them up enough to see how many pellets they can hold but there is still room in them after 40 pounds. I plan to get several more if they fit in the deck box nicely. If not I am thinking 5 gallon buckets for pellet storage. Firehouse subs sell used pickle buckets for $2 and the proceeds go to help firefighters.

Comment

Hi Andrew! Thanks for the input. Here is where I will get my pellets. It has pellets, chucks, charcoal etc. And a smoker inside I was interested in but did some research and backed off. Nice folks. Haven't asked about bulk prices. They sell ALL sizes at $.85 a lb. And no one has said the pellets they have are bad. Best thing it's 5 min from my house.

The www is kinda weak, folks seem nice, the lady has a clue about the products, but haven't met any hardcore employees for smoking yet. They are just North of Lake Mead and Nellis.

http://www.nevadahotwood.com/

Just so you know, I'm gonna friend you here.

Gonna go with diff pellet holders, prolly on wheels and get a scoop so I can roll it to my grill n' fill it. And might look at a outdoor type of holder for my stuff too. Like a very small plastic tool shed.

Lastly, we'll hook up someday. We's past the heat finally, time to grill and smoke!

Last edit: Pickle buckets smell like pickles forever. Check your local grocery store, your Whole Foods etc. They toss em.
                        Last edited by Conumdrum; 09-19-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Ok cool, that is where I buy my logs for my vertical smoker. I didn't realize they had pellets too. 85cents per pound is a bit much though. Off the top of my head I know you can get 100% Hickory or Oak pellets for 75cents on Amazon.

This deck box is huge:

Even with almost 300 pounds of pellets in it there is still a lot of room for other stuff. The charcoal caddys fit great so I will be buying more. I was mistaken about how many pellets they can hold though. 40 pounds pretty much fills them.
                          Last edited by AndrewS; 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Hmm, my Petsmart ones look exactly like that. I got these.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I put #30 in them, looks like they could hold #40 with some room to spare. Could be the same tho. Yours has wheels on the backside? What did you pay for yours?

Comment

Working...
                            X