Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice

Putting this here cause I'd like to contact seller quickly if its worth it. If it needs to be moved that's fine.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/4084658551.html

Been looking for something like this for a long time. I just want it for sausage and cold smoking nothing hot. First it looks like its painted white on the inside. Is this ok or will I have to put new paneling in? Would the insulation be good for smoking? Last question, depending on what's wrong, I'm guessing compressor, could I scrap some of the mechanicalparts to recoup some cost. Right now its not the best time for this purchase but if I can get it cheap I can wait two months to build it right. Just need to know how much work it might entail to persuade the wife. TIA!
    sigpic

Looks to me like the inside is factory paint/coating or whatever it is (see the sticker on it?)

Big SOB that looks pretty sweet,.... Not sure if plastic is OK or not, if thats what the interior is?

Lotta room fo sho...... Good Luck!

Theres been a similar style and size SS smoker on CL around here for a while for $1,000 with all the electronics, and wheels FWIW
    sigpic

Comment

It's been 10 year's since I worked in a restaurant and I wanna say theirs was metal on the inside, never thought about plastic. Thanks Scott!
      sigpic

Comment

FWIW, my last fridge was a similar style side by side SS Viking and it had plastic inside..... Not sure if metal/steel interiors are still around?

My initial thoughts would be the plastic may not be good for smoking, butt i'm sure some others can chime in on that. The cold smoking only might be a determining factor on that?

Good Luck, whatever you do
        sigpic

Comment

Im guessing its a painted metal interior, but its probably foamed in place insulation... You would be better off finding an old Frigidaire/GM refer with a metal interior, and fiberglass insulation....it will hold up to the heat better, and many of them had ceramic interiors..... A commercial hot holding cabinet would be best, as they are designed for the heat.....

Caveat Emptor......
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
            Im guessing its a painted metal interior, but its probably foamed in place insulation... You would be better off finding an old Frigidaire/GM refer with a metal interior, and fiberglass insulation....it will hold up to the heat better, and many of them had ceramic interiors..... A commercial hot holding cabinet would be best, as they are designed for the heat.....

Caveat Emptor......
            Well I do have an old fridge smoker just want something bigger Thanks for the info IC that's what I needed to know. Might give him a call and low ball him.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              Well I do have an old fridge smoker just want something bigger Thanks for the info IC that's what I needed to know. Might give him a call and low ball him.
              Honestly Ryan, I would run away from that... the urethane insulation in it is going to start to disintegrate as soon as you cut a hole in it, and it will start to off gas around 200*. If you are looking to cold smoke, IIRC, Cowgirl Jeanie had a step by step build for a wooden cold smoker with a remote firebox, that you could probably build for $200 or less....

Comment

Took some digging:
                http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...mokehouse.html

Comment

Honestly Ryan, I would run away from that...
                  Me too. Having gone thru it with a commercial pop cooler. OMG. Run Ryan, RUN!
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well I'm a fat man so I don't run Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it, I'll stay away from it. This.will make the wife happy to.
                    sigpic

Comment

<<<Cowgirl Jeanie had a step by step build for a wooden cold smoker with a remote firebox, that you could probably build for $200 or less...>>>

Ryan,
                      It seems to me, if you decide to build a "remote firebox", the freezer on Craig's List would be much better than one made of wood, and very little heat from the remote firebox, and sooo much easier to clean.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        <<<Cowgirl Jeanie had a step by step build for a wooden cold smoker with a remote firebox, that you could probably build for $200 or less...>>>

Ryan,
                        It seems to me, if you decide to build a "remote firebox", the freezer on Craig's List would be much better than one made of wood, and very little heat from the remote firebox, and sooo much easier to clean.

Bear
                        Yep. Until the first time his heat control gets away from him...... then all his insulation and paint melts, and he has to toss everything..... including the smoker.....

Comment

Ryan,

Bear..I would not chance it. those things are meant to be COLD. 0°F or less. they don't want to see even 100°.
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yep. Until the first time his heat control gets away from him...... then all his insulation and paint melts, and he has to toss everything..... including the smoker.....
                            Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Bear..I would not chance it. those things are meant to be COLD. 0°F or less. they don't want to see even 100°.

Maybe my idea of "Remote" firebox is wrong. I'm talking about the two units not even touching each other except maybe a hose or chimney pipe. The whole remote firebox could go up in flames & wouldn't do dick the the other unit.

Look up "Remote".

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Look up "Remote".
                              Look up "0°F"

Comment

Working...
                              X