Dehydrator Jerky- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrator Jerky- help!

Some of my cuts are thicker than others.
    Does it matter if I place them on the top or bottom trays?
    Weber 22.5
    Lil Chief
    1950's Crosley Shelvadore
    Bradley Smoker
    Maverick ET732
    Nesco Dehydrator
    Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

What are you using to dry them? I have a Nesco dehydrator & I find that location within the unit doesn't make much difference. I will usually have some pieces that are finished before others and I remove those and put the others back until done.
    MES 30"
    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
    Weber 22" kettle
    E-Z-Que rotisserie
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Big Weber Gasser
    Cracker Smoker
    UDS

Comment

I'm also using a Nesco. Thanks for your reply.
      Weber 22.5
      Lil Chief
      Bradley Smoker
      Maverick ET732
      Nesco Dehydrator
      Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

usually with the flying saucer dehydrators you have to rotate the trays - so logically put the thickest pieces on the bottom which should be warmest :-)

Although its probably easiest just to check after about 6 hours and remove anything done ane elave rest in for another hour - and so on till it's all either done or eaten :-) (well you do have to sample to check it's done _ I 'lose' a lot of jerky at the testing phase )
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I agree with what L20A said. Basically the thicker slices will take longer, but it really shouldn't make too much difference where there are located in the dehydrator. I try to get my slices as close to the same thickness as possible for consistency and so they all come out at the same time. If there are a few that are thicker than others, I simply leave them in for a longer period. I used to use a Showtime (ie Popeil) Dyhydrator and found that it really didn't matter where the slices resided in the unit, but I found that I get much better results by simply using my oven. I do plan on making some jerky in my YS640 this year to see how that works out... Homemade jerky rocks!
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            usually with the flying saucer dehydrators you have to rotate the trays - so logically put the thickest pieces on the bottom which should be warmest :-)

Although its probably easiest just to check after about 6 hours and remove anything done ane elave rest in for another hour - and so on till it's all either done or eaten :-) (well you do have to sample to check it's done _ I 'lose' a lot of jerky at the testing phase )
            If his Nesco is like mine the heat comes from the top not the bottom but I still find that it doesn't make much difference where you put the thicker pieces. Just pull off the ones that get done first.
            MES 30"
            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
            Weber 22" kettle
            E-Z-Que rotisserie
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Big Weber Gasser
            Cracker Smoker
            UDS

Comment

Great comments all. Thank you.

I ended up putting the thicker pieces on the bottom, cause I know they will take longer. Yes, the heat source comes from the top. I only cut them thicker because I wasn't paying close enough attention at first. I like the idea of rotating the trays a bit too.
              Weber 22.5
              Lil Chief
              Bradley Smoker
              Maverick ET732
              Nesco Dehydrator
              Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Working...
              X