Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever heard of a....

uds with a side fire box ?

I've been thinking about adding a door and a sfb to a drum. Think I've worked out how to do it without any welding.
    Benefits: easy to use for cold smoking, 4 shelves. Small enough to fit under my balcony for smoking in the rain and winter.

I figure I can do it with 2 drums (free) a bunch of nuts and bolts, a big hammer, a smaller hammer, a jig saw, pliers and some wire mesh for shelving (know where I can scrounge that too). I can also recycle some of the stuff from the bradley.

Just wondered if anyone knows if it's been done before .

I figure I can chop down the second drum to make the sfb, door and any baffles etc for the main drum.

Yes I could make 2 conventional uds's but a top loading drum isn't practical where I want to use it and small utility charcoal smokers just don't exist over here. And I do like front loading vertical smokers.

I've stuck the post here because it'll be made from drums, a smoker and I GUARENTEE It'll be Ugly
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

I think i see where you're going, might work, but might rust out or warp fairly quick?

Comment

just remember to share the wealth if you invent the new next best thing
      i will be waiting to see the pics of the build sounds good
      Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

shouldn't warp - I plan on leaving both ends on the main barrel.
        As for rust - nobody's mentioned it as a problem with uds's so should be okay.

lol dunno about the next best thing - just trying to get something effective at minimal cost and no welding :-)
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

This site might help you with a door and stuff for your drum... Only way I know how without welding...Not a front, I guess it depends on what you call a front...lol

http://www.vogelzang.com/barrel_stoves.htm
          Last edited by Zeeker; 07-05-2009, 04:17 PM.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

doors easy. Cut out front of main drum, then cut out same panel just an inch larger all round from second barrel. Attach with hinges (bolts not screws) and a catch and bodge up some sort of gasket :-)
            Haven't figured out details of sfb yet, but shouldn't be too hard.

I like wutangs design for air inlets or might just drill lots of holes and have a sliding cover for them. Actually that's probably much easier. We'll see.
            Hmm, sfb might end up being Afb (arse fire box) long as it'll fit on my table and work -don't really care what it looks like. In fact the weirder and more bodged the better :-)
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
            X