Temp test on my smoker for Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp test on my smoker for Jerky

Got a Masterbuilt electric, the 30" tall one, three racks. Temp here was from the low 60's in the AM to high 70's in the PM. Seems with no electric heat I can keep it by adjusting the door gap about 125f to 100f using a 6" AMZMP. That should be good for cured jerky, about 4 hours in the smoker then finish on a dehydrator?

Gonna use Gunslingers basic marinade/cure and heavy pepper. I have Riches TQ cure, just use 1.5 TSpoon per lb? Or should I get low sodium Soy sauce?

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post

Gonna use Gunslingers basic marinade/cure and heavy pepper. I have Riches TQ cure, just use 1.5 TSpoon per lb? Or should I get low sodium Soy sauce?
    Which one are you going to use?
    sigpic

Comment

Definitely low sodium if you use tenner quack.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Got a Masterbuilt electric, the 30" tall one, three racks. Temp here was from the low 60's in the AM to high 70's in the PM. Seems with no electric heat I can keep it by adjusting the door gap about 125f to 100f using a 6" AMZMP. That should be good for cured jerky, about 4 hours in the smoker then finish on a dehydrator?

that seems a Non sequitur...what would the TQ amount have to do with "just use low sodium soy"? Altho..if you ARE using TQ LS soy would be the choice... but you NEED the TQ regardless. And that is the correct amount of TQ
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Rich's TQ is pretty salty, I wouldn't add any more.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Well should I get some pink? Not sure about the types, you talk about #1 and #2. And can pink be bought in smallish amounts like a cup? It's shelf life should be like forever.

So TQ will work, just can be salty, thanks for that note. And Rich, thanks for the amount verification, I double checked.

Still wondering about my temps and smoker. I'm sure it will be fine at 100f on average then to the dehydrator.

Comment

I have #1 and TQ available. #1 is not isted on the site, but it's like $4 for 25 pounds' worth or so.

And it looks like Mark R is a winner?
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well should I get some pink? Not sure about the types, you talk about #1 and #2. And can pink be bought in smallish amounts like a cup? It's shelf life should be like forever.

So TQ will work, just can be salty, thanks for that note. And Rich, thanks for the amount verification, I double checked.

Still wondering about my temps and smoker. I'm sure it will be fine at 100f on average then to the dehydrator.
                As low as you can. Also note the amounts are different for Ten Quack and pink #1. You don't want #2 fro this.
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  I have #1 and TQ available. #1 is not isted on the site, but it's like $4 for 25 pounds' worth or so.

And it looks like Mark R is a winner?
                  Yeaaa!!!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll look for it in town then if it's that cheap. Meaning #1.

And how much #1 pink for 1 lb of jerky?

And congrats Mark!

Comment

And congrats Mark!
                      Check oot Amazon. Type pink salt in the search

And congrats Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

And congrats Mark!
                        It will say on the package the correct amount per lb , but I've never seen it in a "store". I order it online.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Conumdrum;454069]

/QUOTE]

read your directions. But if it's the Cure 1 I am familiar with aboot 4.5 grams for 5 POUNDS meat

Comment

they carry LEM brand pink #1 cure at bass pro shops. they may stock it at at any place that stocks LEM products...
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

With regards to the heat... I cold smoke my jerky for ~4 hours and then dehydrate. I wouldn't add heat at all unless you are trying to get it heated to 165 before dehydrating.
                              You can of course. The flavor is different with heat. I prefer it without but both are good.
                              I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Working...
                              X