X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Oven Pulled Pork

October 27th, 2013
    Dutch Oven Pulled Pork

An Eight pound Boston Butt, Fridge to table in under 5 hours.

I love my pit but sometimes there's just not enough time to to fire up the pit and have dinner on the table in time.

I have done Picnics, Loins, Butts in a crock but it takes even longer in a crock pot than my pit, one nice thing about a crock pot is you can set it and forget it, so if you have time, you can pop a butt or picnic in your crock pot with some onion slices before you go to bed with no worries.

But what if you forgot about that butt and woke up the next morning an said shoot!, I forgot to throw the butt in the crock.
    You had promised everyone pulled pork for dinner at 5:00 but its almost noon. You may be able to squeak it out in 8 hours if you toss it on the pit and run the temps 275°+ but then that means you will be eating at 8pm at the earliest.

Well that's exactly what happened to me this past weekend, we were running like crazy as we were running the Cub Scout Halloween party and when we got home after cleanup we were exhausted so we just went to bed.
    So the next morning I woke up and figured I would do this Butt in the Dutch Oven.
    Preheated the oven to 325°F

I Placed the dutch oven over the burner and heated it up and wiped liberally with Crisco.

Sliced a few onion for the bottom, you can use a wire rack (I don't because its just more to clean).
    You want to keep the meat out of the liquid for the most part, in retrospect I should have used two onions and halved them instead of one onion sliced.

Placed the Butt on the onion slices.

I then poured some coca cola on the butt, (wanted to use a quality Root Beer but had none)

Seasoned the butt with my "Philly style" rub.

Added some brown sugar.

Placed the DO in the oven on a pan.

After about a half an hour, I turned the temp down from 325°F to 275°F.
    Checked the Internal temp at the three hour mark, 155°F internal.

Internal temp, 200°F - 205°F respectively. Ready to pull. I had to drop my daughter off and pick up my son and his friend, so I turned off the oven and left it in the oven.

OK I'm back approximately 30 minutes, removed DO from the oven and it's Ready to pull.

Removed the butt from the DO and placed in a steamer pan to fork shred.

Juices are strained and saved for another day, they will not be used for this cook.

Added some Sweet Baby Rays and some Cattleman BBQ Sauce to the pork.

What a wonderful meal, there was almost no cleanup from this cook, The DO cleaned up with a sponge and some hot water and was wiped down with some flax seed oil.

Great Post, SQWIB !!!
    Awesome Pics as usual too!!!

Mrs Bear would love this kind of pulled pork, because she'd rather have it made in the crock pot than smoked. I gotta have mine smoked, so when it comes to pulled pork, Prime Rib, etc, she has to suffer with smoked meat. TS !!!

Unless maybe you can drill some holes in your DO to allow smoke in??? Hmmmmm.......

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Yep that looks like some good pork! Sometimes life gets in the way of cooking!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks wonderful! I have done pot roasts and briskets in my DOs, but haven't tried pulled pork. Great job!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Nice looking PP there SQWIB! I like the alternate method and certainly can appreciate people that would prefer the non-smoked method... personally I like some smoke on mine
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Wow that's some wonderful looking meat.
            Alesia

MES40, Home built Vertical Propane Smoker with SFB

Comment

That looks Awesome Sqwib!!! Love seeing a new method (to me) for cooking a butt!!!
              Just call me Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
                Nice use of the CI, the pork looks supreme. Nice work with the onion grate too. I do the same thing when baking chicken or pheasant pieces. Less clean up and more flavor.

Hope no one burnt there fingers picking up that cover, I see a flame under it... Or do you heat it up after the rinse for evaporation purposes and then put the oil on?
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                  Nice use of the CI, the pork looks supreme. Nice work with the onion grate too. I do the same thing when baking chicken or pheasant pieces. Less clean up and more flavor.

Hope no one burnt there fingers picking up that cover, I see a flame under it... Or do you heat it up after the rinse for evaporation purposes and then put the oil on?
                  Yep, Part of the cleanup, everything is washed (no soap) and placed on burners to dry, then a rub down with Flax Seed oil.

Comment

Nicely done! Got to love cooking with Black iron.
                    Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                    Yoder Wichita
                    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Working...
                    X