Intimidated by Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intimidated by Brisket

Alright, I'm going to come clean. I never have tried brisket because of it's reputation to be finicky, insanely long cook times (14+ hours), and difficult to cook.

What are the basics I need to worry about, or do I actually need to be worried?

(Mainly, I'm concerned with cooking time to expect, and rookie mistakes to avoid.)

Thank you in advance, Carl G.
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Weber 22.5" Silver
    Weber Performer Platinum
    Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
    Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Biggest mistake, given the thin blue of course... is trying to rush them. Cranking the temps. Hang in, monitor the temps after 5 hours or so, foil if ya like at 160-170, be sure no leaks... pull by 190 for slicing...200+ for pulling.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

THATS PRETTY MUCH IT BUT ALONG W/ THE TEMPS(OOPS CAPS)
      for slicing & pulling do the probe test. starting around 190 insert a probe & when it goes in like butter it's tender.
      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
      cast iron Hibachi
      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
      & rotisserator
      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
      my music recordings-
      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Carl,
        No need to fear the briskey... Long cook time, yes! yummy goodness when your all done yes! Ditto Rich, gotta hang in there and cook by temp not by time. I get these huge packers like 15# and they are an all nighter for sure. They are certainly worth it though. Give us a heads up and we will hang out with ya for your first briskey!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I have the same thoughts some times. then I come to this forum.
          they make it look and sound as easy as fillin a glass with water.
          But they don't know me.
          all lines of commo will be open and running when I do mine..
          have at it. I bet you will do another in a short time after this one.
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
            they make it look and sound as easy as fillin a glass with water.
            Well, preferentially beer or a cocktail, but whatever...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I felt that way too before I did my first one.

Not much to add advice wise just reinforce the time thing. Let it take its' time and don't rush it. The ones I have done were around 12 pound packers so I usually plan on about 16 hours but I really don't have a deadline for them.

Here is a website with a lot of good information on brisket prep and such. You don't really have to get to particular with trimming and separating the point from the flat if you don't want to. The first one I did, I just sliced the whole thing up and it was pretty darn good.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I don't know, I did one...(Not that I know anything)... It turned into a brick... It now lives in my rock garden...(It's happy)
                Last edited by Zeeker; 07-06-2009, 02:54 PM.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                KCBS CBJ

Comment

Everyone is intimidated on their first brisket, some have to do 3-4 before they are comfortable with them.I'll tell you its no more trouble than doing a pork butt, honest! I can tell you all day not to worry, but ya will anyways, and thats good. Because the excitement and tension involved with a brisket smoke, make it something to remember.
                  After you do a half dozen of them, you'll chuckle and offer some good advice to folks in the same boat as you are now.Enjoy it, go with the flow, have some buds around to help ya calm down. Its not a rocket science. The temps you cook at are not the most important, good clean smoke, good rub,and finishing temp and texture will be the big decider. And for gods sake, make sure ya let it rest for at least an hr before you slice it up.

After you get this one under your belt, we have lotsa lil tricks to make the next one top knotch!
                  Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Just keep the temps low until its tender. And don't tell anyone " dinner is at six" while it is still on the pit.
                    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                      I'll tell you its no more trouble than doing a pork butt, honest!
                      It's true!! He's not just sayng that to make you feel better. They're a piece of cake really.

I've only done 3 but after the first one I was wondering what all the fuss was about. I need to do another one here in a couple of weeks. No more brisket or pp in the freezer. The weekend of the 24th is looking good so far.

Dave
                      Last edited by DDave; 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM.
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

The only other thing I can add is kind of what has been said. The plateau might drive you nuts until you get used to it. Just go with it. They usually plateau around 150 internal give or take. Don't be surprised if they actually drop from the plateau. I've have them skip the step altogether as well as hitting 2 plateaus on that same brisket. It's all worth it in the end.

The other thing I will add, I tend to like brisket and butts more the next day. So, I usually do them the day before and I don't have to worry about dinner time that day. Makes the smoke much easier and less worry over the plateau.

When I started smoking, I was too stupid to know to be afraid of a brisket. I did 3 or 4 before I ever did a butt which for whatever reason, scared me more than a brisket .
                        Pete
                        Large BGE
                        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

You have gotten some good advice. Sounds like an excuse for an overnighter to me.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                            The temps you cook at are not the most important, good clean smoke, good rub,and finishing temp and texture will be the big decider. And for gods sake, make sure ya let it rest for at least an hr before you slice it up.
                            Bravo Dan....

Comment

If you can do butts or chucks, you can do brisket...go for it!
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X