Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Smoked Fresh Italian Sausage-Uncured

All,

I have exhaustively researched smoking store bought sausage and cannot find a definitive answer to this.

Is it safe to smoke fresh, uncured sausage??? I wish to start smoker at 225 degrees and hold there for entire process, until internal temp at 156. Then hold a few, then an immediate chilled bath.

Has anyone successfully done this? Are there dangers? If so, is there a point in the smoke process when temps are too long in the danger zone?

Part of me says it would be safe, but some of the material I've read states NEVER Hot or Cold smoke uncured sausage. I do understand the COLD smoke reasoning, but thought the HOT smoke method may be safe.

All experiences and advice welcome. Thanks in advance

Paul
    "If a little is good, and more is better, then too much is just enough"

What do you plan on doing with it? Letting it sit out afterwards would be bad but if you cook it and freeze it or eat during the week you should be okay.

I cook uncured sausage at 225 all the time while I smoke my butts or whatever else I am cooking at that day. Generally it is breakfast sausage though...

So I guess the big question is what are you going to do with it AFTER you cook it?
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Hot smoke it to temp and eat it. I go 165degrees. No need to ice bath it. It has no cure, treat it as fresh.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Hot smoke it to temp and eat it. I go 165degrees. No need to ice bath it. It has no cure, treat it as fresh.
        Yep what he said!
        Alesia

MES40, Home built Vertical Propane Smoker with SFB

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Yup Fish onnit!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Yeah like Fish said, I'd go to 165° with a fresh sausage...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
              Yeah like Fish said, I'd go to 165° with a fresh sausage...
              And I'd get to 140 within 4 hours. Should not be an issue at 225-250. Lean to the 250. If yer doing big cuts..might as well anyway. I have found no difference and spent less time at the cooker that way. Fatty ribs benefit some with the 225. Gives them time to render out gently.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                And I'd get to 140 within 4 hours.
                this is what was missing from the above comments...............
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

unless these are massive sausages, at 225 you'll hit 140 within about 30 minutes.

If the sausages are still there 4 hours later - you've got crispy, crunchy sausage jerky - probably black :-)

so the short answer is: there is no problem with smoking fresh sausage at 225.

Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    unless these are massive sausages, at 225 you'll hit 140 within about 30 minutes.

If the sausages are still there 4 hours later - you've got crispy, crunchy sausage jerky - probably black :-)

so the short answer is: there is no problem with smoking fresh sausage at 225.

That's what I was thinking. I did my Johnsonville brauts on the grill with smoke and in an hour they were over 170 as I recall. Still plenty juicy but I could have pulled them sooner for sure. Tasted great BTW
                    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      And I'd get to 140 within 4 hours. Should not be an issue at 225-250. Lean to the 250. If yer doing big cuts..might as well anyway. I have found no difference and spent less time at the cooker that way. Fatty ribs benefit some with the 225. Gives them time to render out gently.

Exactly what Rich said, but stick a temp probe in because at 225*, it'll get to 165* pretty fast. You could use a lower temp to get more smoke on it, just so you get it through the Danger Zone "40* to 140* in no longer than 4 hours".

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                      X