Cowboy Candy - My Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy Candy - My Way

A friend gave us a jar of his version of Cowboy Candy, and Rock has been hooked on it ever since. This is the 4th batch (9 lbs of jalapenos this time) I've made since May, and we have given several jars away.
    I just can't keep it in the house!

4 pounds Firm, Fresh Jalapeno Peppers, Washed
    Half were seeded and half were not
    3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    6 cups White Granulated Sugar
    2 tsp Turmeric
    2 tsp Celery Seed
    1 tsp Granulated Garlic or Powder
    2 Tbsp Mustard Seed
    1 tsp Ground Ginger
    1 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper (I omitted this, but if you want hotter go ahead and add)

Bring boiling water canner, half full with water, to simmer.

Wearing gloves, remove stems from all of the peppers. Slice peppers in half lengthwise. seed half the peppers, leave the seeds in the remaining half. At this point I slice them in half lengthwise again so they chop more uniformly. Buzz the peppers, small batches at a time in the food processor until you get the desired chop of the peppers that you want. I did approximately 6-8 short buzzes per batch. Do more or less depending on how fine you want the relish.
    Set aside.

In a large pot, mix remaining ingredients thoroughly and bring to a full rolling boil, continuing to stir occasionally. Add jalapenos and continue boiling for 2 minutes. Do not turn off heat under pot, but you can turn it down for now.

Use a slotted spoon or small strainer, scoop jalapenos out, letting syrup drain off. Put jalapenos in clean, sterilized hot jelly jars (or desired size) leaving 1/2 inch head space of the upper rim of the jar. Insert a cooking skewer or chopstick to the bottom of the jar two to three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of syrup if necessary, by adding more or removing some. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp paper towel and screw on new, two piece lids to finger tip tightness.

Once you have removed all the jalapenos from the syrup, return it to a boil and continue boiling and occasionally stirring
    until it reaches 235-245° on a candy thermometer. At this point you may can it same as the jalapeno relish or store in the refrigerator. It is outstanding used as a glaze on pork, chicken ,etc.

If you do not want to can these to the point of shelf stable, you can put the jars in the refrigerator and store them.

To can, place jars in a canner and cover with water by 2 inches, if water doesn't cover jars by 2 inches, add more boiling water if needed. Cover, bring the water to a gentle boil. When it reaches a gentle rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack (I sit them on a clean dish towel). Leave them undisturbed to cool, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe jars with a clean, damp cloth and label.

For best flavor allow to mellow for at least two weeks, a month is even better, but it can be used immediately.

Processing times increase at altitudes above 1,000 feet.
    Increase processing time by 5 minutes at 1,000-3,000 feet
    10 minutes at 3,001-6,000 feet
    15 minutes at 6,001-8,000 feet
    20 minutes at 8,001-10,000 feet

Buzzed in food processor

In the pot

Syrup after removing peppers

Syrup cooked and thickened

Peppers in jar before adding any syrup

Finished!

Finished with 12 jelly jars of relish and 4 jelly jars and 1 pint of syrup.

I mix equal parts of the relish and softened cream cheese for crackers, on breakfast burritos, breakfast sandwiches, burgers etc.

Thanks for checking it out!
    Last edited by LadyRed; 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM.
    Alesia

MES40, Home built Vertical Propane Smoker with SFB

Sounds good! I did something similar with sweet pickle relish and dumped a bunch of jalapenos in there.. this is just jalapenos which would be tasty I am sure.

Here is another that is similar but not sweet. I have been know to use this and sweet relish together on a dog and it is right fine!
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9343

next year with the jalapenos I will have try this one out a time or two!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Nice Job Alesia!!!

I can see how Rock got hooked!!!

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks Brian for the link - that does sound good and I will have to make a batch of that too!

Thanks Bear - he's so spoiled!!! LOL and of course I'll be smoking, cooking, baking and packing until he leaves!
        Alesia

MES40, Home built Vertical Propane Smoker with SFB

Comment

Good looking stuff

Yet to make it, butt on the list for some day.......
          sigpic

Comment

I gotta do some canning someday.

Comment

OMG! That looks so good. Nicely done Alesia.
              Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
              Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
              Yoder Wichita
              Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
              Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
              Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Like that kinda taste!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Niiiice! I love this sort of stuff! I was blessed by Cowgirl last week with some corn/jap/onion relish... just smacks yer tastebuds into screaming "I'm ALIVE"!
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                  X