??? Calf brisket ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? Calf brisket ???

Was at the store lookin for a brisket flat to fix for Lena's pot luck at work tomorrow. Well I found this small little thing marked "trimmed beef brisket". Only 3.47# has to be a flat right? I mean thats kinda small even for a flat isnt it? When I opened it up to rub it down... The darned thing is a WHOLE trimmed brisket! Flat and point! 3.47#! By trimmed I mean that pretty much all the fat has been removed except for about 1/4" on the underside. It measures 13" long 6.5" wide and 2" thick at the point...Never seen anything like it...Im afraid if it cooks too quickly it wont turn out quite right so I guess Ill run the temps on the low side and hope for the best...
    Craig
    sigpic

Yeah, that's a pretty small brisket, especially for a "packer". Have some pics to share?

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
    Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sumosmoke View Post
      Yeah, that's a pretty small brisket, especially for a "packer". Have some pics to share?
      Dangit I knew someone would ask for that...

Hey I gave you measurements didnt I ???
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Are you sure it's even beef, with that poundage, could be some other species
        Pete
        Large BGE
        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Maybe it's from one of these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xXkmvrT_e8

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
            Are you sure it's even beef, with that poundage, could be some other species
            Said beef on the package...Trying to keep 220 and below...Good trick in July... Thin blue is doin fine. Meat (whatever species it is) is at 133 in 2 hours. Kinda quick but this "beast" is thin Im tellin ya. Hope it stalls like its supposed to or its gonna be shoe leather and not smoky enough...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Here's one that was just a bit over 5 lbs and it's a packer off of an 834 lb (live weight) longhorn/Angus cross. I treated it exactly like any other packer. I also thought it was a flat and wondered what the packing house did with my point. But when I sliced it and got to the point, it was no doubt a packer, as I could tell from the fat separating the two and the difference in the grain.
              So maybe your packer just came from a small steer like mine.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                Maybe it's from one of these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xXkmvrT_e8

Dave
                Dave I think you got it! Cows the size of snauzers...

That was a good laugh...thanks...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Here's one that was just a bit over 5 lbs and it's a packer off of an 834 lb (live weight) longhorn/Angus cross. I treated it exactly like any other packer. I also thought it was a flat and wondered what the packing house did with my point. But when I sliced it and got to the point, it was no doubt a packer, as I could tell from the fat separating the two and the difference in the grain.
                  So maybe your packer just came from a small steer like mine.
                  Tom, I hope your right. That looks pretty cool with the smoke ring almost all the way through. Hope mine turns out as well...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Anyway... the little snauzer brisket turned out pretty good. Or so I hear. You see I didnt get to eat any of it. Oh well... The ladies in Lena's office were askin her how "she" got it so melt in your mouth tender... She told them low and slow...
                    Thats right ...the little snauzer (3.47 lb) cooked in the 200 degree range for close to 10 hours till it reached 206. Then into the cooler for 1.5 hours. the into the fridge for another hour. That firmed it up enough to slice it thin. After that into a crockpot and drizzled with some of the defatted juices. It couldnt lose. I hear it was the hit of the pot luck...

Can I give myself points???
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X