How low does the Yoder 640 go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low does the Yoder 640 go?

Gonna smoke some salmon, I can do it in my 30" analog MES but it's very hard to keep it under 140, and just an AMNPS isn't hot enuff.

I read my Y640 can set at 150, that's fine I think if I push the baffle all the way to the left and put the fish on the right.

Want to use Bearcarvers method of 120, the 140, then 180, pull each piece at 140.

Comments?

On a side note, was thinking of modifying my MES with a variable fan down low on the side for better drying, the air is very dry here. And then I can use the heater coil with cool outside air in the winter. Might be good for lox etc. Anyone seen that done before?

I believe 150 is the low setting on the controller... I cold smoke my salmon in my YS640 by just turning on the fan and run my AMZNPS for the smoke. Once I get the proper smoke that I want, then I turn on the Yoder and "cook" the salmon at a relatively low temp (200-225) until I get the desired "doneness". The time to cook will depend on whether you are wanting tender salmon or something along the lines of lox. The last time I simply cold-smoked for about 1 1/2 hours, then cooked at 225 for about 40 minutes and it turned out awesome. The last 20 minutes I put a pepper jelly glaze on the salmon which caramelized nicely and gave the fish a little bite.
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

You folks are over cooking your fish. The Fed recommendation is 145° or cook until flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork.
      I probably never go over 130° internal with fish, just dries out. But I test it by touch, till it just firms up to the thumb.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

On edit, that 130° only goes for saltwater fishes! Freshwater fish have a whole different set of parasites, they need to get to 145°.
      Last edited by Mark R; 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        You folks are over cooking your fish. The Fed recommendation is 145° or cook until flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork.
        I probably never go over 130° internal with fish, just dries out. But I test it by touch, till it just firms up to the thumb.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html
        Depending on your location and the type of parasite possibly present..the 145 is a prudent temp.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Depending on your location and the type of parasite possibly present..the 145 is a prudent temp.
          Let me qualify that, saltwater fish only @ 130°! Freshwater fishes needs to get to 145°!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Great information on smoking fish and cooking tips - thanks! I want to start incorporating more wild caught fish and this is the advice I needed.
            Yoder YS640
            Weber E-310
            Maverick ET-732

Comment

Working...
            X