My "Go-To" Recipe for Venison Jerky (I'm sure it's good for beef,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "Go-To" Recipe for Venison Jerky (I'm sure it's good for beef,

If you want to try a really good recipe, I'd like to recommend one that we've been using in our family for over 30 years for deer jerky. We got it from some friends of ours who had been using it long before that. I believe it was written for 5 or 6 pounds of meat, but I always add "a little extra" of each ingredient (except the TQ) and it works just fine for a gallon-jar-full of meat.

Lowen Family Jerky Recipe

The Lowens were friends of my parents, and we've been using this recipe of theirs for around 30 years, at LEAST since i was in the 6th grade (1982!).

In a gallon-sized container, combine:

TQ in amount appropriate per weight (1.5 teaspoons per pound of meat)
    1 tsp Alpine Touch (www.alpinetouch.com, or see note below)
    2 tbsp sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
    1 tbsp liquid smoke (omit this when using a smoker)
    1/2 tsp garlic salt (I use and recommend garlic powder)
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Mix ingredients together well. Add enough thin strips of meat OR ground meat to fill gallon jar or other large container (adjust amounts of ingredients if necessary or to taste - nothing has to be EXACT except the TQ), then add a couple of cups of spring water or (my preference) apple cider. Mix everything well.

Marinate overnight-to-two days; no longer than three. Mix or stir once or twice a day.

Lay strips out on dehydrator trays or cookie sheets in single layers. If ground meat, flatten between wax paper and cut into strips, or shoot out of a jerky gun.

Dry the jerky in an oven or dehydrator or use smoker according to manufacturer's instructions; at least until the jerky is leathery on the outside, then as long as you want after to your desired done-ness. The idea is to dry the meat; not to cook it.

Some people store jerky in airtight bags or containers; however, i prefer to store it in jars with a few small holes punched in the lids (keep in mind, the idea is to keep it dry; airtight bags or containers can retain moisture, leading to mold). a vacuum sealer can be used for long-term storage in the freezer.
    If you can't get any Alpine Touch from the website or other outlet, I'd be happy to send some, or you could make a very close clone with this recipe:

3 tbsp canning or pickling salt
    1.5 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp "Accent" or MSG (optional)
    2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground juniper berries (the original Alpine Touch had this, but the new stuff doesn't)

I mix this up and put in shaker - yields about 1/3 cup.
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Minor edits to original post ~ if anyone saved this, please double-check!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Looks like a real good recipe Ron.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Yeah, looks interesting. Might give this a shot soon. I like simple recipes for jerky. Sometimes it gets overdone :) Of course, more IS better at times too!
        I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Sounds good Ron. Arrowed the biggest (body wise) buck in my life the other night and have a boatload of venison. Cut him up yesterday and set aside several pounds to use for jerky.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Well, Todd, if ya have more than ya neeeed.....I'd take some off your hands. That's just the kind of friend I am.....that's how I roll ya dig.
            Charbroil American Gourmet Deluxe Offset

sigpic

Comment

I made some of this last week from 4 pounds of beef and venison, cut into thin strips - very good!

The last time I made it, it seemed like it needed a bit of a boost, so I brought the amount of Alpine Touch up to 1 tablespoon, and doubled the garlic powder. This worked very well, and it will probably become a permanent modification to the original recipe.

Also, if one wants to put a little "kick" on this recipe, I'd recommend sprinkling a bit of freshly-crack black pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes directly onto the jerky before drying.

Enjoy!

Ron
              Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-23-2015, 11:51 AM.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
              X