Loaf of death, Fire water bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loaf of death, Fire water bread

So I made some CI bread to go with the left over Carbonnade from the other day

Here's the basic recipe that I use to which you can add any kind of seasonings or just leave plain:

3c unbleached all-purpose flour
    1t yeast
    1t salt
    1-1/2c warm water
    Instructions
    In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and stir until a shaggy mixture forms (mixture will be loose and sticky; this is what you want).
    Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours (up to 24). Overnight works great.
    Preheat oven to 450. Place a cast iron dutch oven with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, pour the risen dough onto a heavily floured surface (mixture will be sticky) and lightly shape into a round loaf.
    Remove hot pot from the oven and carefully set in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.
    Then, remove the lid and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
    Carefully remove bread from oven and from pot and place on a cooling rack.

And here is what I added and/or substituted:

I added two diced Jalapenos, a 1/2 teaspoon of Habenero dust., and I substituted a 1/4 of fire water for part of the 1 1/2 cup water.

Fire water:
    8-16 fresh Hawaiian Chile peppers sliced (I substituted 16 or so of the dried habaneros)
    2 cloves garlic sliced
    2 tsp rice vinegar (I substituted plain vinegar)
    2 tsp Hawaiian salt ( I substituted kosher and added about a 1/2 tsp more)
    2 cups hot, but not boiling water

Put the peppers garlic salt and vinegar in the jar. Muddle together with the fat end of a chop stick or similar item. Add water cover and set on counter overnight. Put in fridge the next day. Use on everything!

ENJOY!!!!

Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
    iGrill Therm

great looking texture on the bread
    bread
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      great looking texture on the bread
      bread

Thank you! you get that great bubbly going by not handling the bread so much! Makes for great butter holding pockets of goodness! MMM smoked Butter!!
      Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
      iGrill Therm

Comment

Beautiful bread!!! Love the firewater idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
          Beautiful bread!!! Love the firewater idea.
          Thank you! The fire water heats it up!
          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

I like the sounds of this. Need to look into this fire water. What size DO did you use, or does it matter?
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
              I like the sounds of this. Need to look into this fire water. What size DO did you use, or does it matter?
              It doesn't really mater as long as the dough fits without touching the sides. I think I normally use my 12" DO
              Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
                It doesn't really mater as long as the dough fits without touching the sides. I think I normally use my 12" DO
                Without touching the sides. Ok. I have a 12 inch for the fire. Have a 5 and 6 qt for the oven. The 6 qt is close in size. May try that. Thanks.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Great idea, thanks for posting this.

As a new guy, you really hit the ground running!
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Without touching the sides. Ok. I have a 12 inch for the fire. Have a 5 and 6 qt for the oven. The 6 qt is close in size. May try that. Thanks.
                    Yeah that should be fine. Make sure and preheat the DO for 30 minutes.
                    Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                      Great idea, thanks for posting this.

As a new guy, you really hit the ground running!
                      Thanks!

I've been hiding out at another site for a while. Lurking here for over a year. Kind of posting some of my best of cooks along with some fresh cooks too.
                      Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Yeah that should be fine. Make sure and preheat the DO for 30 minutes.
                        Got it.

After eating it with a meal, I want to grill it with some smoked cheese. Have you tried that?
                        S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Got it.

After eating it with a meal, I want to grill it with some smoked cheese. Have you tried that?
                          Oh yeah, in fact that's what's for dinner this evening! Smoked Tillamook pepper jack on top of loaf of death bread. Served with the smoked chicken broth I made last night from the spatchy chicken!
                          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Oh yeah, in fact that's what's for dinner this evening! Smoked Tillamook pepper jack on top of loaf of death bread. Served with the smoked chicken broth I made last night from the spatchy chicken!
                            Love that Tillamook cheese
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              Love that Tillamook cheese
                              Yeah it's our favorite cheese to smoke, soooooo good!!!
                              Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Working...
                              X