Help educate me a little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help educate me a little

I love cheese, but growing up where I did I haven't experienced a lot of different kinds. So I got a couple questions. I came across a dairy 50 miles from us that makes and sells cheese. I can get Havarti, see it on here from time to time, what's that like? What I've read is it can be sharp like swiss. I can also get New York style white cheddar. I've read its sharp, how sharp? I've had Tillamook white cheddar extra sharp and just didn't care to much for it, prefer it a little milder. Curious how it might compare. Don't wanna waste money if I don't like it. Also a 6# block is $21 for both havarti and cheddar, is that expensive? I would smoke these. They got a lot of different 8oz kinds and I'm looking forward to trying the horseradish cheese. We'll be ordering through the local FFA chapter so at least if its not good the money will go to a good cause. TIA
    sigpic

I'm pretty mellow when it comes to cheeses, so not much help on your questions. Not a fan of real sharp cheese though personally. I have had Havarti that I did like though. Love smoked Gouda If you can get it in your area, Tillamook regular/mild Cheddar, for the money, is really hard to beat for mainstream everyday cheese..... Only thing is, its made in Oregon And yes, Im kidding.

Prices seem pretty reasonable to me ..... Anybody in the area where its made that you might know? Give you some insight?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      I'm pretty mellow when it comes to cheeses, so not much help on your questions. Not a fan of real sharp cheese though personally. I have had Havarti that I did like though. Love smoked Gouda If you can get it in your area, Tillamook regular/mild Cheddar, for the money, is really hard to beat for mainstream everyday cheese..... Only thing is, its made in Oregon And yes, Im kidding.

Prices seem pretty reasonable to me ..... Anybody in the area where its made that you might know? Give you some insight?
      The wife told the kid that gave her the order form that I was gonna order some and he said its really good. Went back and looked on website they have an aged cheddar and a regular. What I've read is the aged should be sharp. So I'll probably go with the regular. Even though we didn't care for the extra sharp we still finished it. Also saw a spinach artichoke cheese, this could get pricey.
      sigpic

Comment

For a good cause.....

Good luck and keep us posted
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          They got a lot of different 8oz kinds and I'm looking forward to trying the horseradish cheese.
          I am not a fan of horseradish, bit I do have to say a horseradish cheese in a stuffed pork loin is excellent...
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

For a good cheddar that's CHEAP. A pound of good stuff around here goes for at least $6.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              I love cheese, but growing up where I did I haven't experienced a lot of different kinds. So I got a couple questions. I came across a dairy 50 miles from us that makes and sells cheese. I can get Havarti, see it on here from time to time, what's that like? What I've read is it can be sharp like swiss. I can also get New York style white cheddar. I've read its sharp, how sharp? I've had Tillamook white cheddar extra sharp and just didn't care to much for it, prefer it a little milder. Curious how it might compare. Don't wanna waste money if I don't like it. Also a 6# block is $21 for both havarti and cheddar, is that expensive? I would smoke these. They got a lot of different 8oz kinds and I'm looking forward to trying the horseradish cheese. We'll be ordering through the local FFA chapter so at least if its not good the money will go to a good cause. TIA
              best advice is to go there and sample the different cheeses.

And if you mean 6lb for $21 ! then damn, that's not just cheap it's practically giving it away

Havarti isn't a cheese I've had much but, yeah i'd say it's similiar to a dutch gouda (though I could be thinking of acompletely different cheese lol)

But as everyone's tastes are different - the best advice is to try before you buy

It's actually really encouraging to see 'real' cheese making a decent cmeback in the states. By that I mean something with an actual taste and texture that hasn't been processed into blandness beyond belief.

Flavoured cheeses made from proper cheddar - while processed are different to those horrible limp plastic squares that pass for cheese over there.
              They are just proper blocks of cheddar blended with flavourings and pressed into moulds - my current two favourites are an indian pickle one and one with added chilli.

I'm currently working on an easy method of making flavoured cheddar at home. I do eat a lot of it.
              watch this space :-)

Also farmers market thursday - so I'll be making my monthly pilgramage to The Cheese Stalls !
              Also going to costco - going to be a bloody expensive day
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks guys! Yep its 6 pounds for $21 or you can get 8 ounce for $4.50 or 40 pound block for $140. Probably figure out my order tonight.
                sigpic

Comment

If you can get fresh cheese from a dairy, go for it and see what you think. Most places like that will allow you to sample their cheeses if you go there. For the money, it sounds like a good deal. And being that it is so close, it would be a good trip to find out if they make something that you like... I mean 50 miles is really not that far and you might find yourself a gold mine! Worse case, you have a nice trip and taste some cheese! Take the drive and see what you think!

Me personally, I love Havarti, especially sliced on a sandwich that has some kind of spice (ie pickled peppers, horseradish, etc.) It makes killer grilled cheese too! I don't find it sharp at all, kind of of a buttery taste with a little hazelnut in the back of the pallet... but like with many cheese, it can vary in flavor from manufacturer to manufacturer and batch to batch.

That being said, like what Fish is saying, some of the best cheese that you can get is Tilamook out of Oregon! They make many varieties with all different sharpness and they are all good. I especially like their pepper jack cheese and the medium cheddar. We get ours at our local costco, and if we have some time, we have even gone to the factory in Tilamook (about an hour away) and toured the facility and picked up some cheese, along with some killer ice cream.
                  Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                  Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                  A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                  A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                  Frogmats
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Deano! I'm gonna check the grocery store and see if they carry it. I want to say they do and I just never realized it was made so close. I'm hoping the FFA sells the 6 pounders cause the site I saw it on wants $20 each for shipping and handling, $41 is to expensive for me. If work slowe down definitely gonna try to make a trip down there. Only open M-Thrs 8-4
                    sigpic

Comment

Havarti is a very mild cheese that is traditionally very high in butter fat, so it is a very good melter. Smoking it? Better stay way on the cool side or you will have some RichT cheese on your hands.

6# for 21 bucks is theft. On your part. Unless it is some very crappy cheese.

And if you mean 6lb for $21 ! then damn, that's not just cheap it's practically giving it away

Havarti isn't a cheese I've had much but, yeah i'd say it's similiar to a dutch gouda (though I could be thinking of acompletely different cheese lol)
                      In my opinion it isn't any thing at all like gouda. Sharp white New York Cheddar is one of my favorites. The sharper the better.

Most Cheese purveyors will be glad to give you a small taste, just ask.
                      A few of my favorite things:
                      Good Whiskey
                      Good Food
                      Bad Girls
                      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                        Havarti is a very mild cheese that is traditionally very high in butter fat, so it is a very good melter. Smoking it? Better stay way on the cool side or you will have some RichT cheese on your hands.

6# for 21 bucks is theft. On your part. Unless it is some very crappy cheese.

In my opinion it isn't any thing at all like gouda. Sharp white New York Cheddar is one of my favorites. The sharper the better.

Most Cheese purveyors will be glad to give you a small taste, just ask.
                        then I'm definitely thinking of something else

I mean 50 miles is really not that far
                        lol - I read a great quote recently (I believe in a dean koontz book) that sums up the difference between america and england in a nutshell.

England is a place where 100 miles is a long way.
                        America is a place where 100 years is a long time.

:-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks Roscoe! The way you and Deano described it sounds like I'll like it.

CA in Nebraska everything is wide open, so 50 miles will be an hour drive. That's one good thing about living here.

I was worried havarti might be one of those stinky cheeses. When I was a kid bout 25 years ago dad sold some alfalfa to a Wisconsin dairy. About a month later we got a big box from them filled with their cheese. I still remember that it was some good stuff. Except for one it smelled like my wife's shoes. Nasty!! Dad called and thanked them and asked what the hell that stinky stuff was and the dairy farmer just laughed. Pretty sure mom probably tossed it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ryan, what's the name of the place? $21 is cheap for quality stuff (like everyone else has already said). If it's decent, let us know... I'll have my parents grab some before they come up after Christmas.

Later,
                            Andy
                            Current babies:
                            -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                            -RichTee's Lang :)
                            Former Lineup:
                            -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                            -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                            -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                            -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                            BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                              Ryan, what's the name of the place? $21 is cheap for quality stuff (like everyone else has already said). If it's decent, let us know... I'll have my parents grab some before they come up after Christmas.

Later,
                              Andy
                              http://www.jisacheese.com/

I think it might be in Hyvee or if they're in Omaha theirs a shop in the north terminal at Epply called GrowNebraska. The farm is by brainard which would be about 25 miles West of Wahoo. Or about an hour from Omaha.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X