Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Carving

Hey Everyone,

Since most of you generally end up cooking for a party, or multiple people...I thought you might be interested in something that I have picked up recently - Ice Carving.

I am in no way an artist, but, fancy myself as an amateur chef...and since Chefs are the ones that commonly add ice carvings to their more prestigious events, well, you know it just had to be done.

Ice carving has also given over to making my carvings more "functional" (read: DRINKING), and most of them I have made since the original are artistic shot luges.

A shot luge is a great addition to a party - nothing better than a cooled drink going directly into your mouth (or if you are uppity, into a cup, then drank from the cup - to avoid putting your mouth where someone else's mouth has been...even though the alcohol will kill just about anything).

Here are a few pictures of the ice shot luges / sculpture I have done in the past.

#1 - MOST IMPORTANT - you will notice that I am SAFE. Dont just pick up a chainsaw unless you know what you are doing, and have all of the necessary safety equipment, PERIOD.

For a simple ice shot luge or carving, you will need a block of ice. Most ice houses carry "carving ice", which is clear, and doesn't have bubbles. This is very important for an ice luge, as the bubbles generally be in the center of the ice, and will melt through, rendering the "tube" drilled though useless - and will WASTE YOUR ALCOHOL!!!! The slow-frozen blocks of ice, eliminate this, and are more attractive anyway. Generally, they run anywhere from 45 bucks (at the shore, or near our ski house in the Poconos) up to 90 bucks (Near Philly proper...OUCH!). Blocks are usually 300 lbs, and will come wrapped in cardboard boxes.

A 300 lb block will yield 2 "regular" shot luges.

Here are pictures of a scribed whole block, that requires a diagonal cut, then nipping the tips off of each piece, plus installation of the "chutes", that you can do with a chisel, or a right angle grinder, with a sanding wheel attached. Very easy and quick to do:

Finished:

We had a Christmas party recently (I will duplicate this one for our Christmas in July party, in two weeks). straight lines, mostly with the chainsaw.

Rough Cut:

Installing shot funnel (with right angle grinder sanding wheel):

Installing shot chute (with a 1" spade bit), that continued down to the point of the branch, to drink the shot from the side:

Finished, with LED christmas lights:

Here is a Easter Island head that I did up at the ski house for a party...no luge chute, and in hindsight, I'll not do sculpture with out a luge anymore:

I'm in no way artistic, but, I'm OK with a chainsaw...
    Last edited by Fat_Head_Carl; 07-10-2009, 11:54 AM.
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Weber 22.5" Silver
    Weber Performer Platinum
    Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
    Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

So THAT'S what's behind you! Heh Cool! (Small pun intended)

Good friend of mine used to do that...now he's mainly doing treetrunks.

Neat stuff!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

just curious.... but doesn't the bar oil from the chainsaw contaminate the ice?
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

That is pretty sweet. Next time you gotta post some "action" shots with people taking shots off of one of those.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
          I'll butt in and just take a guess here. I think the ice would keep the blade and chain cool enough that it wouldn't require any oil. BTW, nice work!
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
            That is pretty sweet. Next time you gotta post some "action" shots with people taking shots off of one of those.
            I'll have to take some of myself - I don't want to post pictures of others consuming alcohol on teh interwebs...you never know where they will end up. (read this as: I can't find any at this point in time)

Well - I've not run into this at all, so far. First, the chainsaw is usually only used for rough cutting, and it's finished with the grinder / drillbit / chisels, no oil on them. AND - oil and water don't really mix too well, so it would run off pretty quickly.
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Weber 22.5" Silver
            Weber Performer Platinum
            [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
              I'll butt in and just take a guess here. I think the ice would keep the blade and chain cool enough that it wouldn't require any oil. BTW, nice work!
              Cool, and the water (as it heats up) is a pretty decent lubricant too - but in all honesty, I dont think it makes a difference...cause the melt keeps a clean surface...
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Weber 22.5" Silver
              Weber Performer Platinum
              [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

...and more importantly, thanks for the compliments!

For the most part it's easy and fun - just make sure to remember Miller Time is AFTER chainsaw time.
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Weber 22.5" Silver
                Weber Performer Platinum
                [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

That's pretty awesome!

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Carl: I didn't know you had the artistic flare... Pretty cool stuff... Kudos to you...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Rock On Man!...that is just to cool!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

ice luge for vodka !
                        wow - my kind of party.

Points for all sorts of stuff, but mainly for the perfect way to drink vodka :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

hey everyone,

here is carl's ice sculpture thread from 2009. darned if i can do any of this stuff and i really appreciate those that can.

thanks for sharing carl
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Impressive, and would be awesome at a party

I would probably lose a limb if I tried something like that.
                            Maybe I'll start small...
                            Gonna go find a nail file and an ice cube.
                            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                              Impressive, and would be awesome at a party

I would probably lose a limb if I tried something like that.
                              Maybe I'll start small...
                              Gonna go find a nail file and an ice cube.
                              Exactly.
                              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X