Teriyaki Hot Whang jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teriyaki Hot Whang jerky

This is so easy to make and sooo freaking good that I really want to keep it a secret so folks can be impressed LOL. I don't care for the flavor or the strong taste of most teriyaki makers sell so I found a recipe online that has a more subtle sweet flavor. Honestly, I still don't like it I'm not a teriyaki fan at all but I make it for others frequently. But listen. Add some Hot Whang to this and you got yourself some badass jerky! Sweet and hot with amazing flavor!

1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    1/2 cup mirin
    2 Tablespoons (sugar as per original recipe) of good quality honey is what I use. (An extra TBS or more won't hurt either).

Combine ingredients in a saucepan. Stir mixture well. Put it on Medium heat and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low and simmer for a couple of minutes. Stop heat and allow to cool.

Now as I recall this will handle at least 3-4lbs of beef. You can easily double the recipe for more meat.

I add the appropriate amount of Tenderquick (1/2 Tablespoon per pound of beef) to the teriyaki sauce and stir. Poor over meat in container and mix well. Cover and place in fridge for about 48 hours. I open the container and with a gloved hand, remix everything 2-3 times a day. It will likely be fully cured after 24 hours but the flavor intensifies if you let it go longer. I suggest 48 hours.

Take the beef strips out of the cure solution and place on a rack. Dust liberally with Mad Hunky Hot Whang! Flip meat over and repeat.

I cold smoke my jerky with the Amazen tube smoker http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12
    for about 4 hours and then transfer the meat to my dehydrator until finished.

Next time I do it I will take pics. This is seriously some killer jerky. Sweet with just the right amount of kick! Keeps you coming back for more
    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Nice... Sweet/Heat is a winning combo in jerky.

FYI... I'm back on the jerky mix trail. Won't be a Teriaki type. Well, not the first product anyway, but there seems to be a need for a solid basic cure/seasoning mix. Hi Mountain, look out
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sounds great!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Sounds good Chris, Have you tried Very Teriyaki? I use it and its good. But I seem to remember you don't like sesame seeds?
        God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
        Weber Performer Gold
        Masterbuilt 26" twins
        Big Chief Electric smoker
        Brinkmann barrel smoker
        LEM sausage stuffer
        Cabela's pro HD grinder
        Maverick ET-732
        ThermoWorks Thermapen
        GrillGrates

Comment

Not really a fan of sesame seeds but like I said, I don't really like ANY teriyaki. I just make it for my friends and kids. You should try some Hot Whang! on your next batch Gilbert. It works really well with the teriyaki flavor on jerky!
          I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

That does sound good
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...