X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten Free...

From the Oakland County MI "Weekender"

Gluten-Free: It Works Until It Becomes a Fad

A look at how new gluten-free products are affecting Americans, and their bank accounts.

Posted by Catherine Crawford , December 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Dunkin' Donuts will add two gluten-free items to its pastry repertoire by the end of the year. A smart move when you consider that market researchers say nearly one third of Americans are cutting, or altogether eliminating, their gluten intake.

However, a gluten-free lifestyle is a medical necessity for a fraction of its participants. Celiac disease, which causes damage to the small intestine, afflicts only 1 percent of the population. Certainly others have a gluten sensitivity, but many Americans give up the gluten in an attempt to shed some pounds.

Nutritionist Ian Marber thinks gluten has been popularly exiled “because it’s so prevalent. If you make any adjustment to your diet, say you stop eating foods with the letter ‘l’ in them, you may well lose weight, simply because you’re making far better food choices than you were previously.”

According to Susan Bowerman, assistant director of the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition, “It used to be that a gluten-free diet almost assured weight loss, because there were very few alternatives except for fruits and vegetables." But increasingly, we have donuts and other snacks as alternatives.

The gluten-free cinnamon-sugar doughnut from Dunkin' Donuts will contain 320 calories, while their regular sugar raised donut has 230 calories. At this rate, it’ll take gluten-free dieters twice the willpower to slim down as they’re forced to resist regular goodies in addition to their now-available gluten-free counterparts.

Their wallets may lighten up, though. The price of gluten-free products is “significantly higher,” than their standard equivalents. One market research firm concluded that the gluten-free market was $4.2 billion dollars in the United States alone last year and predicts it will balloon to $6.6 billion in 2017.

Ian Marber isn’t opposed to a gluten-free diet on principle: “If it makes you happy, do it! By buying that expensive stuff, you’ll certainly be making someone else very happy.”
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

I have a friend who can not have gluten at all... horrible reaction to it.. and she laughs all the time at people who think it is a healthy life style... she says it is full of sugar... she says it has to be if it is going to taste good......oh well they will figure it out sometime...
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      I have a friend who can not have gluten at all... horrible reaction to it..
      My mother is a celiac victim. And it sucks for her. Italian lady who can't have gluten. Oh, the humanity!

And honestly... it was for her that I kept gluten out of my products. It did not increase cost much. If there was any real difficulty..it was not using common ingredients in the products. But then again..perhaps that's why they stand out?

I guess... if it does not affect the product, and the price not too much..why not exclude it. In the rub/spice world it's not a huge hardship.
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        ... if it does not affect the product, and the price not too much..why not exclude it.

Because, unless you're truly gluten sensitive / have celiac disease, it's bad for you. Just saw an article on this yesterday, I'll try to find it. Basic jist was that if you're just doing it because it's "fashionable" you're doing more harm than good, because a) companies that make things gluten free typically add a lot of "other" crap to it to make it taste good, and b) since the human body is just barely tolerant to gluten (ignoring those that are completely intolerant or have celiac disease) if you deprive the body of gluten, then go back to eating gluten, the body can't handle it as well as it used to. In effect causing yourself gluten intolerance.

I'll see if I can find the article.

BTW, my grandpa was a celiac sufferer, so I know what you're dealing with with your mom Rich. Sucks big time.

Edit: found it http://gizmodo.com/why-you-might-wan...ree-1475646469

Second edit: But you're right Rich, from a producer's point of view it makes all the sense in the world to include a gluten-free product if you can do it without substantially reducing product quality or increasing price. I was looking at it from a consumer's point of view.
        Last edited by PitRow; 12-12-2013, 03:01 PM.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
          Second edit: But you're right Rich, from a producer's point of view it makes all the sense in the world to include a gluten-free product if you can do it without substantially reducing product quality or increasing price. I was looking at it from a consumer's point of view.
          Interesting article...

And honestly... I thought my product was BETTER not using run-of-the-mill ready made "flavors" one has access to in the commercial world... in my rubs and brines. Some of which use gluten as fillers/thickening agents.

Let's face it... MSG...gluten... I wont go peanut/nut tho... are pretty much harmless given the percentages. But I felt no compromise was made in my products.

I'd really like to go on a rant right now. Especially about the peanut/nut thing. But I won't. It would not be pretty. Suffice it to say Darwin would be mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

I'd really like to go on a rant right now. Especially about the peanut/nut thing. But I won't. It would not be pretty. Suffice it to say Darwin would be mentioned.
            c'mon, I want to hear it, pretty sure Ill laugh.
            Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

That is an interesting article.

I know some folks who are deathly alergic to gluten... and some alergic to nuts. Or both. It is a very difficult situation for those folks. The nut situation is very severe in that ANYTHING prepared/cooked in a kitchen that has been exposed to nuts in that environment... all hell breaks loose with health issues. Seen it.

I don't use nuts in any of me products. Period.

As far as the gluten gig, yeah... it has become a marketing ploy. Bastards.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Screw that "No foods with the letter I in them" Bullchit !!!

That would include Prime Rib!!!!

#$%^&*(&^%$#

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Well me guts won't answer...nor me exit! At near 60 yo...I know what I shove down me gob...and I know I ain't on no/none/notta med...Natty Up!...hockey still sux!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                    hockey still sux!
                    You only say that because any average skater could beat 88 around an ice track any cold day

Comment

Imagine how much fun hockey would be if they could only go left...

Obviously Celiacs have to avoid gulten. But for the rest of us, I think it's about calories. And if a no carb, or no gluten diet makes you eat less calories, you're going to be better off.

Comment

gluten is only an issue for people who react to it.

Other than that it's just a part of flour.
                        There's bugger all present in most flour anyway.

The nut thing - as long as you stick on every single label that it doesn't contain nuts but was made somewhere nuts were at one point present.
                        Then just go ahead and use nuts.

WHere it gets stupid is having to put : warning may contain nuts on a bag of actual nuts.
                        And I'm guessing this is because some imbecile ate a packet of nuts labelled dry roasted nuts. Had a reaction, sued because it didn't say it contained nuts even though it was a bag of nuts. And now you have to put: contains nuts on bags of nuts.

You simply can't legislate for morons - though the idiots keep trying.

People who are allergic to things make the effort to read labels - and if they don't then tough. You take responsibility for your own actions.

If you're allergic to bee stings only an idiot would take up a career as an apiarist.

Just stick it on the label and let people decide for themselves.

Not eating things with gluten in if you are not celiac is stupid.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Just read several articles in the last few weeks. There is no such thing as an allergy to gluten. Bee venom, nuts, pollen.....yes. Those with Celiac disease DO need to avoid gluten. All others.....have a screw loose. I'm paraphrasing.
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Just heard today the FDA is cracking down on gluten free labels and restaurants

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsro.../ucm363474.htm
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Food intolerances are something to be taken seriously. I know that there are people who play the system and make claims to get reasturants to accommodate their crazy diets. I deal with them on almost a daily bases and they suck!

When someone has a food ingredient intolerance that is legit, they can range from a bit of discomfort to a full on anaphylactic reaction. Those that are celiac are extremely sensitive and can cause life threatening reactions. Those that are gluten intolerant are being found to have different levels of sesativity like you would find with sesame and peanut/tree nut allergies. So on the low end they get an upset digestive system to the high end they can have life threatening reactions. It is very comon that someone may have their sesativity change as they age or have major illnesses.

I find it easier to talk with the guest and find out what they want if major or multiple dietary concerns are involved. Most times they are overjoyed that you are willing to work with them. As you get more experience with talking with people about their dietary concerns you will find questions to ask to filter the true concerns from the quacks..... An easy one is to ask how sensitive they are... With gluten I will get anything from "I can't have anything that was cooked in the same pan that ever had gluten" to " I can eat small amounts".

Just be carefull with any dietary need. It could be legit and very serious.
                              Plywood Smokehouse
                              Char-Griller Outlaw
                              MES 30"
                              AMNPS
                              2- 6" AMNTS
                              Super Aladin Smoker and Aromatizer
                              Home Made Cold Smoke Gun
                              Polyscience Smoke Gun
                              2 - Maverick ET732
                              Still more to come as time allows.......

Comment

Working...
                              X