Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Sausage with Pics

Breakfast Sausage With Pics

Well since I got up at 6 am I decided to go ahead and jump into the breakfast sausage I had planned and use the new grinder. The grinder is a Cuisin Pro 1800.

The sausage turned out very well and I was pleased for the first attempt. The fry test tasted good but a bit mild for our taste. I chilled the sausage down quickly in the freezer and moved to the fridge to ripen a bit. We will do a second fry test this evening before packaging after it ripens. I will adjust the recipe to our liking at that time.

The grinder functioned flawlessly and powered through the partially frozen pork as fast as I could feed it with no bog downs on low speed. I never ran it on high speed the whole process. Clean up was simple and I soon learned to use a bottle brush and pipe cleaner for the head and plates. Pics are below.

The Assembly Line:

Meat prep:

The First Grind with coarse plate: Spices mixed in at this point with ice water.

The Second Grind with fine plate:

The fry test:

Overall it went smooth and I learned some basics. Onward to a stuffed casing with the next effort. I will either do an Italian or Andouille next.
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Glad to hear the grinder worked well for you. Looks like you got it figured out. Isn't it nice to know you control what goes into it? You'll be shopping for a stuffer next.

But, do you really need another addiction? Lol.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

looking good! super set up ya got there. I wanna get on this sausage gig, but I need a few more things. Birthday is coming.
      Nice looking sausage
      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

You will find that most recipes are fairly mild. I have always had to add to what the recipe called for to make it to our liking. Looks great and congrats on your first batch!
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Looking good Rick. That's gonna be some of the best b-sausage you have had, because you made it yourself. It's a fun hobby. Just be carefull, you'll have a freezer full of all different kinds of sausage before you know it.

sigpic
          Brinkman SnP-w/mods
          ECB
          GOSM
          MES for sticks and sausage
          30 yr old Weber Kettle
          Brinkman gasser

Comment

Congrats on the first run. Since I started making my own sausage can't remember the last time I had store bought sausage. I always add more of the seasoning when doing sausage. Say I make a 7lb batch I'll use a 10lb mixture. Using Hi mountain breakfast kit I usually double up on the seasons. For the breakfast sausage I use sheep casings for stuffing. Don't be afraid to add other seasons you may like. You never make bad sausage's just happy mistakes of they dunt turn out.
            If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
            Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

ShooterRick: Congratulations on your first run... Very nice set up... And I wish you all the best in all your sausage adventures... You should hook up with Cajunsmoke13... He has some amazing recipes for sausages... He is the link master...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Nice job on the breakfast sausage! You've now been bitten by the sausage bug!
                sigpic

GOSM/propane
                UDS (Cam)/lump
                22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                Weber Genesis/propane
                Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Nice first run Shooter....
                  Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

You got a good start, but the fun part is the stuffing and linking. Sometimes it can be quite an ordeal using a grinder and small diameter casings.
                    Col. Big Guy

Comment

Nice first run. I am gonna be buying a grinder soon. Hopefully my first run goes as well as yours.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Nice start on the sausage. When I twist my links I have 3 marks on a board that is use. Which will mark off 2 equal size links. I'll twist my starter first. Then I put it at the first mark, then pinch at the 2nd and 3rd mark and twist. then repeat the steps by moving the links down pinch again at 2nd and 3rd, twist that link the same way I did the others. I am going to do some sausage her in the next couple days I will try and see I can get a helper to take the pics to i can post them.
                        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Working...
                        X