Made some summer sausage...questions on safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made some summer sausage...questions on safety

So I was unbelievably busy and made several summer sausage without casings. Some were beef/pork and some were bison/pork.

I know they were all over 150-something and some hit 160. I couldn't deal with them dude to some family issues and they sat in the fridge for 3 days after they had the ice bath and were dried with paper towels.

Are these still good to go? I threw them in the freezer yesterday. I was planning on giving them as gifts and would hate for them to be tossed. I feel pretty good about it but thought I'd hit the experts here before I actually give the first one out this morning.

I did use TQ as a cure in the amount of 1/2 T per lb.
    The Bison/pork ones sat in the fridge for over 48 hours and the Beef/pork ones sat in there for ~24 hours-ish. Before they were smoked.
    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Sure those 3 days in the Fridge won't hurt anything.
    Look at it this way----Some guys will smoke cured things for 6 hours a day for days, and put it in the fridge at night each day. I wouldn't do it for too long though.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

ok, so as long as they hit 150 they are good? I know the goal is 152 and I think they hit it but.......I was very buy at the time and can't recall. Definitely over 150

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Yes you are good to go
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Thanks guys! Huge stress relief in a busy time. You all are the best!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Iwouldn't have a problem with it.
            sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

cured, smoked, cooked, refrigerated.

safe as brick houses
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Ditto what the guys said, the 152 is a temp mark which is the general rule of thumb for taking sausages of one sort or another to make them safe eating without additional cooking. You had them cured and refrigerated so you have no issues whatsoever.
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

The one thing you should notice since they were not in casings is a bit dryer.. The frig will pull the moisture out of them, other than that.. Chow down..
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    The one thing you should notice since they were not in casings is a bit dryer.. The frig will pull the moisture out of them, other than that.. Chow down..
                    Wanted to comment on that too. Years ago, I used Grandma Lamure's seasoning with out casings. Good flavor, but dryer. Learned a lot since then.

As the others said, you're fine. The next step is a good stuffer. Do it up right.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Absolutley good to go

Comment

As long as they are cured you are fine.

Comment

Working...