Getting to know my grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting to know my grill

Got my first pellet grill on Tuesday. This week i did the burnoff, cooked 5 lbs of bacon, a chicken, and did ribs tonight. The bacon was very good, the chicken was great, the ribs..... I have some more work to do. One rack was ok andthe other was dry. When i cooked bacon i didnt notice any hot spots. I rotated the ribs during the cook. If i had to guess id say i just cooked them too long. I did the 2-2-1 method for babyback ribs. Ive attached the temp graph for my cooker. The probe was center in the grate. I think the temp rise at the 3 hour amrk was caused by the foiled ribs being too close to the probe. The grill showed 220-235 the whole time.

Looking forward to getting a little more practice. Enjoying the journey so far.
    Yoder YS480
    Weber kettle
    Weber Genesis

I can say from my experience from my pellet smoker the temps will only get better with time. Things will seal up more and hold them temp better and consistent from side to side. As far as the ribs not sure whey they would get dried out since you foiled them. I would ask what kind of ribs, spare, St. Louis cut, ect. That maybe help on why. I actual do 3-2-1 on mine. Also did you do any liquid in when you foiled?
    The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing.

YS-640

Comment

Ya might have just had a "bad" rack O rib, it happens. Just cause it came from the same cryo pac doesn't mean it came from the same pig.

AND Welcome from Florida!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

They were baby back ribs, I got from my local butcher. I followed the 2-2-1 sticky here, I used a cider beer as liquid. I put about 1/4 cup of liquid in each. Truth be told I've done ribs a few times and didn't have much luck. I didn't see any hot spots when I did the bacon.

Probably just need to try again. :)
        Last edited by Geddy; 12-22-2013, 05:03 PM.
        Yoder YS480
        Weber kettle
        Weber Genesis

Comment

If one was real good and one was real .... not so good and they were cooked the same way...something was different with item "B", and you cannot control that, chit happens! That's why comp cooks smoke 3 racks of ribs to turn in 5 ribs!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Do you have a water pan in your smoker?
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

Not sure on the ribs, just have to keep trying, best thing about practice is you get to eat the practice. I have not had the dry rib yet, fingers crossed, I have had some come out way to tender almost mushy but that was didn't change cook times with a higher temp. That would be about as far as my experience will get.
              The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing.

YS-640

Comment

What these guys said /\

At those temps, you should have had juicy ribs IMO...... Might have been a "bad rack"

Also, just a thought, don't cook to "times" but cook to feel and texture on ribs..... You can use the bend test, and or use a toothpick in the meat area to test for tenderness..... Just some thoughts.

Keep, after it
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Also, just a thought, don't cook to "times" but cook to feel and texture on ribs..... You can use the bend test, and or use a toothpick in the meat area to test for tenderness..... Just some thoughts.

Keep, after it
                  Fish onnit!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with the folks here as the ribs should have been fine.

That stated, perhaps one was closer to the back of the grill or experienced some sort of flare up (juices hitting the bottom of the grill after foiling)? The other thing that has happened to me before is missing the signs that one rack may be done before another. So on my current rib cooks I do the 2-2 and then the 1 sometimes is 30 minutes on meatier ribs (ribs with more loin left on them from the butcher) - as those come out of the foil but need less time to tighten up (bitewise). Try this method next time and see what you think.

Incidentally, I learned all of this from this forum - these folks will learn you.
                    Yoder YS640
                    Weber E-310
                    Maverick ET-732

Comment

Actually now that it's been mentioned, I do not foil my ribs at all! Ever!
                      Not going to solve the dry rib butt....
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        Actually now that it's been mentioned, I do not foil my ribs at all! Ever!
                        Not going to solve the dry rib butt....
                        ^^

I do spritz my ribs..when I can remember. My favorite is Buttershots and Apple or Cranberry juice. Find that the bit is much better for me than foiled ribs. I don't foil butts either.

Buy another pack of ribs and give'r a go. That should answer if it is a grill or rib issue.

Comment

What smoker?

Please make a sig so we know what we are dealing with please.

I'm also one who doesn't foil, it a PITA and my ribs come out fine every time. At least everyone and me likes them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            What these guys said /\

At those temps, you should have had juicy ribs IMO...... Might have been a "bad rack"

Keep, after it
                            Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to try again after the annual family trip. I have been having fun learning my new Yoder. Built like a tank.
                            Yoder YS480
                            Weber kettle
                            Weber Genesis

Comment

Working...
                            X