Spent to much on pellets this last year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent to much on pellets this last year

Well I have crunched the numbers for how much I spent this last year on pellets and it was way to much. I also plan on a lot more smokes this year so I think it is time to buy bulk for me. I don't really have anyplace near that does a decent price per bag close by, so I have only been buying a few bags here and there when I needed them. Witch is just dumb.

Do you like one brand over another and why? Currently using Traeger cause they are convenient to get. I am sure there are better out there.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing.

YS-640

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Produc...tCode=AMNPS5X8

Owners name is Todd. Great service, prompt delivery(shipping) and the best products on the market!

I am a customer, not a sales person. I am not going to benefit in any way if you order from Todd. He just does chit right!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
      http://www.amazenproducts.com/Produc...tCode=AMNPS5X8

Owners name is Todd. Great service, prompt delivery(shipping) and the best products on the market!

I am a customer, not a sales person. I am not going to benefit in any way if you order from Todd. He just does chit right!
      X2!!! he is who I use as well. He is fair and has great customer service!! He carries lumber jack pellets and has all the wood flavors that you would want!!

top notch!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Good luck with the pellet budget

Wingman should chime in on this soon, I think he buys by the pallet
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Good luck with the pellet budget

Wingman should chime in on this soon, I think he buys by the truckload
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I am planning on buying a ton. I have the room so I figure why not buy as much as I can at once. You can never have to much fuel right
            The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing.

YS-640

Comment

Originally posted by qkrx7 View Post
              I am planning on buying a ton. I have the room so I figure why not buy as much as I can at once. You can never have to much fuel right

Me and a buddy bought a pallet of briquettes when they were on sale.... Aboot 1/2 normal price.... And no trips to find fuel at the last minute..... I highly recommend it if you have the room
              sigpic

Comment

Call Bob @ Bear Mountain Pellets. They will ship bulk. http://www.bearmountainbbq.com

BBQr's Delight is another good pellet located further Midwest.
                http://bbqrsdelight.com/
                They ship bulk. The closest the pellet manufacturer the less costly shipping. I'd find one near by. All this said Bear Mountain pellets in the store are $9.99 per 20 labs. bag. Allot cheaper then Traeger pellets in these parts. May be worthy of shipping.
                Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita
                Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

I do not own a pellet pooper - I am just curious: when you say a lot was spent, would it have been any cheaper using any other form of fuel?

In other words, are the pellets more expensive than say charcoal, elec ,or propane, or is it the practice of cooking X amount of BBQ? I am not sure if the price per pound is the issue in my mind as is the price per hour spent cooking (efficiency).

For example, if the price per pound of pellets is X but does it take 2X, 3X, or 4X more pounds of pellets to cook the same BBQ as some other form of fuel?

Also, is there a shelf life on pellets when stored correctly? Will they "go bad"? Would it be better to buy in monthly, quarterly, or semi annual requirements vs annual requirements?

Inquiring minds want to know.
                  Last edited by Bama BBQ; 12-22-2013, 09:36 AM.
                  ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

If you are buying in bulk try Lumberjack. Last time we bought them we got the pellets for 36 cents a pound. That includes shipping. On The first order we paid 46 cents a pound and had them delivered to a shipping terminal we had to drive to another town and pick them up. On the last order we had them delivered to our work and we could take our time dividing up the 2 tons of pellets. Buying by bulk is the only way to go. Jerry at lumberjack will work with you and find the best delivery method for you.

I use my Yoder about 3 times a week so I can go through some pellets but for 36 cents a pound it still cheaper than burning wood or charcoal. Check the lumberjack web site below. I use MHC for Low And Slow and Oak for grilling

http://lumberjackpelletsonline.com/

Comment

I use Q pellets. Supposedly they are the same as Lumberjack, made at the same facility and another brand they sell. I like them. I get them at .85 a lb in #30 bags. It's right down the street. I'm kinda limited here in Vegas. Someday I'll do a bulk order.

Googling I found this place, kinda close to you.

The Watershed
                      4315 East Harmony Rd.
                      Fort Collins CO 80528
                      970-686-6425

They sell http://www.cookinpellets.com/our-premium-pellets/ brand. Not sure if they are any good. Price is pretty darn good for sure! And they talk about bulk sales too.

BTW, Trager pellets are one of the worst pellets they use wood oils for flavoring the wood. Once you move to a better pellet you will taste and smell the difference.
                      Last edited by Conumdrum; 12-22-2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama BBQ View Post
                        I do not own a pellet pooper - I am just curious: when you say a lot was spent, would it have been any cheaper using any other form of fuel?

In other words, are the pellets more expensive than say charcoal, elec ,or propane, or is it the practice of cooking X amount of BBQ? I am not sure if the price per pound is the issue in my mind as is the price per hour spent cooking (efficiency).

For example, if the price per pound of pellets is X but does it take 2X, 3X, or 4X more pounds of pellets to cook the same BBQ as some other form of fuel?

Also, is there a shelf life on pellets when stored correctly? Will they "go bad"? Would it be better to buy in monthly, quarterly, or semi annual requirements vs annual requirements?

Inquiring minds want to know.
                        As of right now on average I have spent almost 2x per pound for an average price of charcoal. After some research and calling to get prices on delivery I would be able to get pellets down to the same or cheaper price then charcoal as long as I buy enough.

As far as shelf life it is a wood product so at some point just like any wood it will start to brake down. But kept dry your talking years of storage with no ill effect. If I continue to cook at the pace that I am a ton of pellets would get me about a year and a half. I do suspect that having pellets on hand without having to leave the house would just increase the pace.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, those are all that I have been looking into, so it looks like I have been checking out the right products.

YS-640

Comment

Working...
                        X