Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sullys banging ass jerky - ripoff thread :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sullys banging ass jerky - ripoff thread :-)

Sully's bangin ass jerkey:

5 lbs meat
    1 tsp. pink salt #1
    2 cups soy sauce
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup worcestershire
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    5 cloves garlic smashed
    2 Tbsp. Cracked black pepper
    1 Tbsp. Onion powder
    2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. mustard powder

Marinate 48 hours.
    This is my signature recipe. It took 30 years to develop. Its bangin. Enjoy
    The above is sullys bangin' ass jerky marinade.
    I modified mine slightly. Underlined any changes.

CA's ripoff of sullys bangin ass jerky marinade:

5 lbs beef - top rump - probably (honestly I didn't look at the packet label that closely - but that's what it usually is)

5gms pink salt #1 (weigh it sully)
    1 1/2 cups billy and johnbobs beef marinade (basically 99.9% soysauce with microscopic amounts of garlic and spices). One of the bottles I got in exchanges - glad to finally put it to good use

1 cup beer (come on sully - water ? what you thinking man )
    1/2 cup lea & perrins original worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    5 cloves garlic smashed - french garlic gratered
    2 Tbsp. Cracked black pepper
    1 Tbsp. Onion flakes
    2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tbs. frenches american mustard (couldn't find the powdered stuff)

2 tsps smoke powder - I really like this stuff, just adds a smoky hint to things.
    3 good tsps ginger paste - I used to make this myself but now I just buy it ready made in jars for a bout a buck a jar. Saves all that peeling and blitzing and it's basically the same stuff.

I was going to leave it in the marinade for 2 days.
    But I got hit by some weird 24 hour bug friday and lost most of the day in bed. Thursday night fine, Saturday morning - fine. weird.
    And I know which bugger i caught it from too ! His next bill's got addtions

The only real significant addition: 3 tsps fresh ginger paste. For a little extra kick and fruityness - try it sully
    Added extra cayenne instead of pepper flakes and I never use water when beer's available.
    The smoke powder just adds a little smokyness to it. Look it's cold and raining. Give me a break

I Cut the beef into strips with the grain. This way when you bite a bit off you're biting across the grain. Or it's the other way round

After 3 days in the marinade - hell, I ate a few bits straight out the container, smelt so good couldn't resist:

Gave it 8 hours at 135f This way the thinner bits are really dry and chewey but the slightly thicker bits are more like a 5 day biltong.
    Softer eating, but still well done.

Packed into snackpacks

Got to say this is hands down the best jerky I've made and some of the best I've ever tasted.
    Some big flavours in there: the worcestershire comes through strong and then gets tackled by the garlic, meanwhile the cayenne and ginger are sneaking up on your tastebuds. Couple of pieces of this and the heat starts to build nicely. The soy gives it a salty savoury base that works extremely well with the beef and all the other ingredients complement it and each other.

One of the things I really like about this place. No matter how good you think your recipes are - there's usually someone around who can help you improve or show you a better one.

Cheers sully, this is a serious keeper
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-22-2013, 01:25 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Nice work Mate!
    sigpic

Comment

Nice job! I just got a scale for xmas. Ill tip a 40 in the mix for you next time
      sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
      Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
      Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
        Nice job! I just got a scale for xmas. Ill tip a 40 in the mix for you next time
        I'm guessing that's a beer, right ?

Grateful to you for this stuff - over here beef's only slightly cheaper than gold, and I've never been exactly 100% happy with my jerky.

This stuff, and drying it at a slightly lower temp has really nailed it
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Yes! I made some of Sully's origional and to say it is excellent is an understatement! Man, he out did himself with his jerky recipe!

Comment

I bolded my changes, your lookin at a double dare now, put that tounge on the pole boy! (Christmas Story movie about the Red Rider BB gun, hope you have seen it, classic!)

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            The above is sullys bangin' ass jerky marinade.
            I modified mine slightly. Underlined any changes.

CA's ripoff of sullys bangin ass jerky marinade:

5 lbs beef - top rump - probably (honestly I didn't look at the packet label that closely - but that's what it usually is)
            Yep, that's my cut for jerky.

5gms pink salt #1 (weigh it sully)
            I hear I'm gonna buy a scale for myself for Xmas but I gotta wrap it

1 cup beer (come on sully - water ? what you thinking man )
            Old school, they were makin beer in Britain way before we even knew about the 'New World'! Good choice!

5 cloves garlic smashed - french garlic gratered
            Wait, they aren't smoked cloves with some olive oil? Missed some more yummy.....

1 tbs. frenches american mustard (couldn't find the powdered stuff)
            Since it's just a Tbs, I'll forgive you on this. Why that mustard? You can get it there? It's pretty lame really. Sign of old age?

The only real significant addition: 3 tsps fresh ginger paste. For a little extra kick and fruityness - try it sully
            Standard add for Teriaki sauce, no issue here.

I Cut the beef into strips with the grain. This way when you bite a bit off you're biting across the grain. Or it's the other way round

The cut looks amazing, that is going to be my next try, gonna print the pics and show to my butcher. There goes 10% to the butcher for the magic they do. It looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gave it 8 hours at 135f This way the thinner bits are really dry and chewey but the slightly thicker bits are more like a 5 day biltong.

Packed into snackpacks

Got to say this is hands down the best jerky I've made and some of the best I've ever tasted.
            Some big flavours in there: the worcestershire comes through strong and then gets tackled by the garlic, meanwhile the cayenne and ginger are sneaking up on your tastebuds. Couple of pieces of this and the heat starts to build nicely. The soy gives it a salty savoury base that works extremely well with the beef and all the other ingredients complement it and each other.

One of the things I really like about this place. No matter how good you think your recipes are - there's usually someone around who can help you improve or show you a better one.

Cheers sully, this is a serious keeper

Comment

The cut looks amazing, that is going to be my next try, gonna print the pics and show to my butcher. There goes 10% to the butcher for the magic they do. It looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Butcher ?
              You get the hunk of beef, then you cut it into thin slabs lengthwise, then you lay the slabs flat and cut them into thin strips and then cut the long strips into shorter strips. I figure I aimed for between 1 - 1.5 square cm with some odd shaped bits from the ends of the slab for variety.
              And the natural thickness variety you always get when trying to vut large lumps of fresh meat into even thickness slabs. Much easier with semi-frozen meat.

What's it got to do with a butcher - you must own a sharp knife

I do have a tin of english mustard powder in the cupboard - somewhere.
              Just used the frenchs mustard because it's got a sharp mustard flavour and it was in the fridge by my leg :-)
              Could have gone with a variety of wholegrain mustards - but figured the frenchs would suit the flavour profile more.

And yep - it's widely available over here.

Smoked garlic cloves. Weelll, I have done hot anc cold smoked bulbs of garlic and just don't see the point.
              The cold smoked bulbs - all the smoke is in the outer skins. By the time you've peeled the cloves themselves there's zero smoke flavour. Cold smoked garlic is a gimmick invented to fleece ignorant foodies out of even more money and goes on shelves alongside dark chocolate with horrible herb flavourings in them :-)
              Made it, had it bought for me - never seen the point. That said If I ever get my food business off the gorund I'm quite happy to make it and sell it to other people

Hot smoked garlic - great stuff, but you lose all that intense, sharply floral garlic flavour. It makes it sweet and mild, not much good for jerky.
              I usually use garlic powder in jerky - but the fresh stuff definitely made a vast improvement, so in future I'll only use fresh garlic in jerky marinades

And I don't personally believe olive oil (or any kind of oil) has any place in a marinade. The oil might soak up the flavours but it doesn't penetrate the meat - so you end up with something covered in flavoured oil but bugger all flavour any deeper. The oil actually coats the meat and prevents the flavours going any deeper.
              For me a marinade must penetrate the meat and oil based marinades simply don't.

So that's the whats and wheretos and whyfores :-)

As for the length of time we've been brewing beer in the uk - I live about 4 miles from burton upon trent. There was an abbey brewing beer there about 1200 years ago. Still a major brewing town, despite coors continued best efforts to demoralise their workforce

Shame really, as I just don't like the taste of real beer
              And prefer the flavoured alcopop type stuff - and cider
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
              X