Beef Short Ribs with Pastrami Spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Short Ribs with Pastrami Spices

I did these once on the gasser and they were tasty but TOUGH. So thought I'd try them on the drum. Got about 5 lbs of beef short ribs, made up a pastrami-ish
    wet rub: coriander, pepper, star anise, brown mustard seed, brown sugar garlic salt and oil. Rubbed up the ribs and let them sit over night.
    Here they are right before going on the smoker.

Cooked them directly over the coals for about 10 minutes, took them off and let the drum settle back to 250* and smoked for two hours. Here they are at that point.

I then put them in an aluminum pan with some of the mop and foiled tightly for another hour. They came out fall off the bone tender. My 9 year old said they were TOO tender, but his friend just pointed and nodded his head when I asked if he would like some more. These things were delicious. Sorry, no plated pics. This recipe is from Raichlins, Ribs, Ribs, Ribs book.
    Question. With pork ribs the goal is tender but not fall off the bone. What are the opinions out there regarding beef ribs? Fall off the bone or with a little tug?

Hey man, those look great!

As far as your question... I guess it's preference, but I like "tug" on all my "boned" meats that you eat "by hand". If they are knife/fork type cuts, make 'em tender/fall off the bone. I said tender, because I guess steaks come under boned meats, and cooking a porterhouse to 205 just isn't right ;{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I agree with Rich. Just a bit of tug on the ribs. I won't even do butts to 205 anymore. Makes the meat too soft. I can get fall off the bone at 195 and coolered for a couple of hours.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Fine lookin rib's! Like the spice!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Those shortys look pretty yummy to me! Good job! nice spices too.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Man those look good.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Now I gotta go and get some Dino's for tonight!
              sigpic

Comment

Those look and sound great. I'll be trying this for sure.
                sigpic

GOSM/propane
                UDS (Cam)/lump
                22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                Weber Genesis/propane
                Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

looks great, like the spice mix as well - But alas, yet another beef product You can't get over here lol
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Very nice looking short ribs Smokin' Dick.
                    The rub sounds like something I need to try.
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X