Salty jerky left my mouth like a desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salty jerky left my mouth like a desert

Hello everyone, I'm still trying to learn how to navigate this site so I hope this goes to the correct place. Anyhow I'm new to this whole smoking thing and would appreciate any help. The wife snagged me a Big Chief electric smoker and I thought I would try some jerky. Thought I would start off simple so I snagged a 5lb london broil cut er up and went with the "Easy Cure" meat jerky recipe that was in the recipes and operating instruction booklet that came with the smoker. It called for 5lbs of meat, half cup of non-iodized salt and a half a cup of sugar. I also threw in some black pepper, onion and garlic powder and a little crushed pepper flakes. I burned 2 pans of alder chips in the smoker and after about 12 hrs it looked finished.. So it smelled and looked delicious and the initial bite tasted smokey and great till ya chewed it for a while and realized you might be having salt shock. So salty that it had to be thrown out. Should I just reduce the salt in the brine or do you need it for the curing process. Anyhow it was a swift kick to the sack for the the first jerky run. Also what wood would you advise for jerky.

from Sunny Az, I have the same set up, I make my jerky using TQ as recomended by wt of meat for cure and then marinade it in Very Teriyaki over night and smoke the next day or so... Here is my link...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28124
    God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
    Weber Performer Gold
    Masterbuilt 26" twins
    Big Chief Electric smoker
    Brinkmann barrel smoker
    LEM sausage stuffer
    Cabela's pro HD grinder
    Maverick ET-732
    ThermoWorks Thermapen
    GrillGrates

Comment

"Salt shock"

Personally, I like Hickory, Alder, Apple, Cherry, Pecan for jerky...... Also, jerky can be "oversmoked" so I typically go aboot 2 pans of chips, or 2 hours in a Big Chief..... I would also recommend a brine that has cure in it for safety purposes..... I have used the soy sauce based jerky brines for years and have not got sick, but have since switched to commercial mixes that DO include cure just to make sure, or a TQ based brine as Big G noted

Oh, and from Olympia, WA
      sigpic

Comment

If using Tenderquick you might want to go with lo sodium soy and worch to avoid another over salt situation...

And to Smoked-Meat...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

It just doesn't sound like a recipe I'd wanna make. Smoking that long with no "cure" really makes me nervous. Prolly why it is so salty.
          Take a look at the tutorials here - http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Oh, and Welcome from Florida!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks for the advice and the links. Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by giveneratry View Post
              and after about 12 hrs it looked finished..
              12 hours???

Wow.

Look through the threads listed and give it another try. We'll have you making great jerky in no time.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

from Utah
                Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                Weber 22.5" WSM
                Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                Weber Smokey Joe
                GMG Daniel Boone