Pellet smoker Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet smoker Conundrum

Just wondering what you guys think.After much consideration im going to pull the trigger and buy a entry level pellet smoke(just bough a new house and a new truck in the last 2 months)so it has to be at the lower end of pellet smokers.Im currently torn between the Treager lil tex and the pellet pro 627.Can anyone please explain the pro's and con's of each smoker.

Thanks

Ronan

Originally posted by Ronan View Post
    Just wondering what you guys think.After much consideration im going to pull the trigger and buy a entry level pellet smoke(just bough a new house and a new truck in the last 2 months)so it has to be at the lower end of pellet smokers.Im currently torn between the Treager lil tex and the pellet pro 627.Can anyone please explain the pro's and con's of each smoker.

Thanks

Ronan
    A low level entry pellet smoker will be replaced soon enough due to thin metal, poor construction, and just won't do the job. So please reconsider your budget and wait till you can get one that will last a long time, trouble free and makes perfect smoke every time please.

Quote:
    The Lil' Tex smoker is Traeger's smallest unit, but at 418 square inches of cooking space you will have plenty of room for any family cookout. This unit will run you about $700, but I would recommend the thermostatic control unit as a necessarily accessory. This will put the price at closer to $900.

So already you're at almost $1000 tax etc with the temp control.

Quote:
    The I have had the CPG 969 for going on a year. Yes it's a Traeger with a different name tag. But I have found it to be a very good entry level grill. It doesn't keep consistent temperatures like the higher priced units, but it does produce good results.

So it's just another Traeger mostly.

Look at the Yoder please, the 480 or the 640. Save for a few months, it will last forever. And don't use Treager pellets, they use oils for flavor, not the real wood.

Comment

Have been looking on amazon and the pellet pro is $699 with 60lb of pellets and the treager lil tex elite with thermostatic controls is just $679.I think if i broke the $1000 mark for a bqq my wife will break me lol

Comment

Connundrum is correct. If you spend $700.00 now and it fails, either you will be soured by the pellet smoker experience or you will go and purchase a new unit with better quality like the Yoder. If you do the latter, then you will be into spending $1700.00 to do the right thing. It is cheaper to spend your money on a quality unit one time instead of falling into a situation where you will have spend more money shortly thereafter.

Ed
        Yoder YS480
        Yoder Cheyenne
        Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
        Kettlepizza

Comment

if cash is tight, look at a UDS. They are incredibly stable, you don't have to use or buy pellets, and turn out amazing Que. By controlling the intake, you can control the temps and also the length of burn which can be very long.

Another excellent choice is a weber kettle, or a weber smokey mountain smoker. again, no pellets, but just awesome eats.
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Treager quality seems to be very hit and miss. My nearly 20 year old grill has been outstanding and is still in regular use. My brother's 8 year old unit has had many recurrent problems. My dad's 4 year old grill has had one problem, which was replaced under warranty.

Have you looked at Green Mountain grills? Similar in price and size to Treagers, they get good reviews for quality and great reviews for customer service.
            Good One Heritage Oven
            Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

I dont own a pellet grill, but like these fine gentleman noted, quality is not cheap. I hope to add a Yoder some day also. Check out Rec Tec grills on Amazon, they have great reviews and are a bit less costly. Dont know anyone who has one, but might be worth a look to see what size, features, etc. They have compared to others. My FIL bought a Traeger aboot a year ago and it broke down twice within the first 2 months. They sent him parts, but he had to fix it. Another good friend bought one aboot 2 years ago and same thing
              sigpic

Comment

has anybody ever used or heard about this one
                http://www.pelletprogrill.com/grills.html
                comes with 60lb of pellets

Comment

has anybody ever used or heard about this one
                  http://www.pelletprogrill.com/grills.html
                  comes with 60lb of pellets
                  That is a Traeger with different style furniture and brand name on it.
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    I dont own a pellet grill, but like these fine gentleman noted, quality is not cheap. I hope to add a Yoder some day also. Check out Rec Tec grills on Amazon, they have great reviews and are a bit less costly. Dont know anyone who has one, but might be worth a look to see what size, features, etc. They have compared to others. My FIL bought a Traeger aboot a year ago and it broke down twice within the first 2 months. They sent him parts, but he had to fix it. Another good friend bought one aboot 2 years ago and same thing
                    I will add, the more complex the machine, the more likely it will break at an inopportune time not of your choosing.... If you smoker needs a computer controlled widget.... best not rely on reviews that mention "great customer service when I had a problem", "it was covered under warranty" or "they shipped out a replacement gizmo the next day"..... To me thats like eating at a place that sells antacids at the hostess counter....
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Check out Rec Tec grills on Amazon, they have great reviews and are a bit less costly. Dont know anyone who has one, but might be worth a look to see what size, features, etc. They have compared to others.
                      We just had a new member join that sports a RecTec grill...I looked them up and they look pretty cool. Maybe send Chunk D a PM and get the inside scoop.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31584
                      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I was just on the Rec Tec site and they are offering their pellet grill for $998.00 with 24 months financing same as cash. They list the MSRP at $1598.

On another note, I see that they are offering 2000lbs of pellets for $799 with free shipping. Not sure of their quality.
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis Copper E310
                        VacMaster Pro 260
                        2 Mavericks ET732
                        Blue Thermapen
                        6" & 12" AMNTS
                        Q-MATS
                        "Yoder YS Pellet Grills (Fan Page)" on Facebook

Comment

Ive had my Yoder for about 1.5 years now, but did some serious research b4 pulling the trigger. If you are wanting to stay out of the $1500 mark, look at the Green Mountain grill. They arent as stout as the Yoder, but have some good reviews. Like the others here, I say save your pennies for a better quality pellet grill. You'll be much happier in the long run.
                          Mike
                          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                          POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                          Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

thanks everybody for the input.In the end i have decided against the pellet smoker because of the expense.Even with the cheaper models because i live in Canada it would cost me an extra 13% to bring across from the states and i cant afford a yoder,mak or green mountain.Im just about to go off to my local Canadian Tire store to buy a Vision Kamado Professional C-Series for $699 canadian which will smoke and grill and hold temps better in the cold climate that i live at.
                            Thanks again
                            Ronan

Comment

thanks everybody for the input.In the end i have decided against the pellet smoker because of the expense.Even with the cheaper models because i live in Canada it would cost me an extra 13% to bring across from the states and i cant afford a yoder,mak or green mountain.Im just about to go off to my local Canadian Tire store to buy a Vision Kamado Professional C-Series for $699 canadian which will smoke and grill and hold temps better in the cold climate that i live at.
                              Thanks again
                              Ronan
                              Best of luck, I'm sure that will suit your needs just fine. It seems to be well received where I have looked.

Comment

Working...
                              X