Score!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score!!!

I was hauling corn for a farmer a month ago and he was having a big tree cut down and chipped. Asked what kind and he said oak. Dam I wish I knew I would have taken a bunch but he did hold back 3 6' logs bout 5" in diameter for me. asked if I wanted apricot. I said never tried it but yes! He cut that the same day and I forgot about it. He called Friday and asked if I wanted more apple. Already got a whole tree in the spring from him but I said yes. He was just gonna do some trimming. I forgot about go today so I didn't bring my chainsaw and figured branches should fit in my pickup. I get there to start cleaning up and holy hell, I got to go back tomorrow. I think I'll get a good 1/2 cord of splits and two more pickup loads of branches that'll work good in my little smokers. I just discovered this tip so if you all know it already forgive me. To start my big stick barrel I don't use a chimney full of briquets anymore. I grab two had fulls of these small pencil.size twigs and place in a pile. Then I put some inch.diameter branches on top of that. Light the twigs with handheld torch and in about 5 minutes I can start putting splits on.

I do have a question, this apricot he said wasn't that old and just died. Not sure if it was from disease. If it was disease will it be safe to use? Thought I once read not to use diseased wood
    sigpic

Not sure about the disease but you better get a slab of ribs or two for all that wood!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Sweet score. Im curious how the apricot wood works for smoking. I have an apricot tree that I'll be cutting down this winter and since it is a fruit wood, it should be good. Post your impressions of apricot smoking when you can. Thanks
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

very nice...
        God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
        Weber Performer Gold
        Masterbuilt 26" twins
        Big Chief Electric smoker
        Brinkmann barrel smoker
        LEM sausage stuffer
        Cabela's pro HD grinder
        Maverick ET-732
        ThermoWorks Thermapen
        GrillGrates

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
          Sweet score. Im curious how the apricot wood works for smoking. I have an apricot tree that I'll be cutting down this winter and since it is a fruit wood, it should be good. Post your impressions of apricot smoking when you can. Thanks
          I was gonna say it could be awhile till its dry but I guess it depends on when it died, I'll have to ask tomorrow. I to have an apricot tree that might need to be removed, getting close to the power line. And it always loses it fruit early I think cause of lack of pollination.
          sigpic

Comment

Split, stack, repeat.......

Thats super cool..... Don't think I have used Apricot, or heard much aboot it...

Looking forward to your reviews on it
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              Split, stack, repeat.......

Thats super cool..... Don't think I have used Apricot, or heard much aboot it...

Looking forward to your reviews on it
              I'm thinking/hoping its like peach. Never had peach though.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X