Tempeture jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempeture jump

Hello. New to the forum. Have only been smoking meats for a few months and have decided to smoke a pork shoulder today (it's 10 degrees here in NJ, great decision). Have the smoker going at a nice 228F. My question is in the first hour the meat went from room temperature to 127F, will it slow down? Every where I read it says that this 9 pound shoulder should take about 10 hours, but at this rate I will reach 195F in no time. Rookie question but can use some opinions. I assume it will slow down.

That does sound like a good jump in temps.. Check your probe to see if you are deep enough in the shoulder (middle) and be sure if it is a bone in you are not touching the bone..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      That does sound like a good jump in temps.. Check your probe to see if you are deep enough in the shoulder (middle) and be sure if it is a bone in you are not touching the bone..
      What TH said!
      It will prolly "stall" at about 150-155° for a couple hours so I wouldn't worry.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

And honestly..with a jump like that in an hour..you SURE on the pit temps? I guess on your meat probe as well? That seems pretty wild for an hour...

Oh..and welcome to Smoked-Meat!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

It does sound a bit strange to rise that much in an hour. As was said earlier, make sure your probes are properly placed and your thermos are accurate. What are you using to monitor temps?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Not sure what smoker you're using. If you're relying on the stock thermo in the door, they are notoriously inaccurate. You may be running a lot hotter than you think you are. Try to place an accurate temp probe in the chamber.

And they do like to "stall" in that 150-160 range. Seen stubborn ones sit there for 3-4 hours before climbing.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

from another New Jersian. There's something off for sure, can't see a 9 pounder doing that, especially with these outdoor temps.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

If they aren't, calibrate your thermo's.
                sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Thanks. After first hour and a half opened the door to spray it down and add more wood chips. Adjusted the meat temperature probe and it dropped back down to 100F. Now it seems to be going at a normal pace. As an FYI I am using a masterbuilt upright smoker. Got it for the holidays so this is only my second smoke on it. Thanks again for the advise.

Comment

Dat mo betta!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

from Utah
                      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                      Weber 22.5" WSM
                      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      GMG Daniel Boone
                      Pit Barrel Cooker
                      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                      The Vortex

Comment

to the forum.

Probably not a bad time to point out that . . .

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        You SHOULD NOT insert thermo probes into your meats before the surface of the meat has attained 140°+ because of the possibility of carrying contamination into the meat. Of course, if you have injected or otherwise penetrated the whole muscle meats, it don't much matter. You willl want an IT of 140°+ within 4 hours.

But a whole muscle "virgin" hunk does not require this. Besides, why do you care about IT till the meat is at least half done? Perhaps for statistical purposes, but other than that... wait
                        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15708

Not trying to start another raging food safety debate. Just thought I'd throw that tip out there.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                        X