First Sausage with Brat-View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Sausage with Brat-View

I’ve decided to stick my toe into the waters of making my own sausage. I got the LEM #10 hand meat grinder from Bass Pro Shops along with a kit to make Bratwurst. The kit contained the spices and the casings, and the LEM was not only a grinder but a stuffer, so basically I’m out the door for not much over $50 or so without the meat. The next step will be to bring back the manual and swap if for an electric!

Here it is clamped to a cutting board and then clamped to my counter. It worked better than I thought it actually would.

Here's what the seasoning from the kit looked like - enough to do 15 lbs. My butt was a bit over 5 lbs with the bone in still.

The butt that had been so patiently waiting for me in the freezer! Looks pretty fatty and at least 20% fat, so didn't add any more.

The casings rinsed and now soaking. I didn't know to run water through them to rinse the insides too and might be why the finished skin was a bit tough. Could use some help here if anyone knows for sure.

After I cut the butt up (need to cut it smaller next time, more like one inch cubes instead of just happy chunks), I just had to stop and say "Cool!" when it first started coming through.

After putting in all the chunked meat, here is the pile of course ground meat.

After that I put it through the finer grinder for about half of it before I realized that duh! I needed to add the spices. Lots of cranking for nothing. So I measured out the seasonings and mixed it up in water, then mixed it into the meat. Then back to the grinding. I didn't get a picture of it but it looked pretty good coming out with well-defined strands.
    After that I took the plate and blade off and swapped over the the stuffing attachments and started turning that handle again. This is where you need three hands. One to hold the casings coming off, one to crank the handle and one to stuff more meat in and push it down. My wife helped out, but during all of this she gave me the a-ok for the electric!
    Here's what it looked like after it was stuffed, twisting it as I went. Guess I could have saved that for the end for a more consistent size. I'm guessing again that the wrinkles meant that I could have stuffed it more. Which might have made the skin thinner and therefore more tender?

Started the smoker out low and kept raising the temperature every hour until it reached 154 degrees. Forgot about the part about letting them air-dry first so I got some spots but not too bad. The low starting temperature must have helped. Here they are coming out. I didn't have a way to hang them (yet) in the MES so they've got the lines on them from the shelves.

Now under a cold water bath to get them down to less than 100.

Overall they had a very good taste. We ate one right after the bath and they were nice and tender but a bit dense. The next day after refrigerating them the skin was more like a beef jerky skin. Tasty but tough.

It was a lot of fun even though I made a lot of mistakes, and I'll definitely be trying it again. Hope you enjoyed seeing my first attempt!

ETA: temp was set at 100 for the first hour, then up to 150 and up 10 more every hour until at the end it was at 190 and the internal temp of the sausage was 154. I wasn't very clear about that.
    Last edited by smokeguy; 07-13-2009, 04:39 PM.

Smokeguy: Welcome to the world of Sausage making...You will have a ton of fun making your special creations... I just have to give
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Congrats on your first run, great pics along the way. I will being looking back at this as I get started in the next week or so.
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

After a quick read thru your post...well done!

Yes, adding spices at the grind is easier. Also I think BB523chevpro has a great thread on inverting the casings, both washing them and improving the sausage appearance (Those little white connecting tissues are inside...)

Over all and to sum up...GREAT WORK! And remember, learning is a continuing process!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man Smokeguy thats a great job!! Amazing all the things you can do with a pork butt!!

A couple of possible observations. You are correct to want to chunk the meat into smaller pieces and you also need to partially freeze the meat before you feed it into the grinder. Looks like your fat is smearing a bit. Freeze, grind, refreeze regrind. Then get it very cold before stuffing also. Keeping it cold will help keep the fat pieces from smearing and help with the texture.

Here is a link to prepping the casings by Andy. It really should be a sticky(hint hint) http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ghlight=inside.

A vertical hand crank stuffer will make your life a lot easier. Its even hard to stuff with an electric grinder.

If you twist the links a few more times they will tighten up, if you think they are loose. But keep in mind there is a fine line between tight and exploded.

I'm not at all being critical though. Much better than my maiden voyage.
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
            Man Smokeguy thats a great job!! Amazing all the things you can do with a pork butt!!

A couple of possible observations. You are correct to want to chunk the meat into smaller pieces and you also need to partially freeze the meat before you feed it into the grinder. Looks like your fat is smearing a bit. Freeze, grind, refreeze regrind. Then get it very cold before stuffing also. Keeping it cold will help keep the fat pieces from smearing and help with the texture.

Here is a link to prepping the casings by Andy. It really should be a sticky(hint hint) http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ghlight=inside.

A vertical hand crank stuffer will make your life a lot easier. Its even hard to stuff with an electric grinder.

If you twist the links a few more times they will tighten up, if you think they are loose. But keep in mind there is a fine line between tight and exploded.

I'm not at all being critical though. Much better than my maiden voyage.
            Thanks for all the comments and suggestions all. And the points are might tasty too!
            That tutorial was a good one too and should solve the issues with the white lines on them. I don't see how I could have stuffed them much more really, so it was good to see that the lines are natural and if you go inside out they're gone if you want to do that.

I could see how a vertical stuffer would be a big help. The larger hopper and "cram it in" part (technical term from a newbie!) would take care of the extra hand needed.

No comments are taken critically! That's why I posted everything, the good and the bad. The learning curve is so much better here when everyone chimes in!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
              Here is a link to prepping the casings by Andy. It really should be a sticky(hint hint)
              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ghlight=inside.

Say no more :{)
              Last edited by Richtee; 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Here's what it looked like after it was stuffed, twisting it as I went. Guess I could have saved that for the end for a more consistent size.
                That comes with practice. I pretty much always twist as i stuff and after 5 years I can pretty much turn them out to 6 or 8 to the pound at will.

They look great for a first batch :-)

You're next step is to mix your own seasonigs - plenty recipes round here for that :-)

All in all a great start - and yeah, a vertical stuffer is pretty much essential.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Great job on your first voyage ... Hell you should have seen my first try years ago I was cleaning meat off the ceiling... If you want the sausage to be a little less dense try using the fine grinding plate...
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Impressive 1st venture!
                    sigpic

My Facebook page
                    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

Great looking first start. I used to use the natural casings from Gander Mountain or the ones that came with a Hi Mountain kits. Now I am mixing my own seasonings and have since switched to sheep casings. I like them much better but the down fall is they cost a lot more. I currently am using the 20 to 22mm size and I have gotten nothing but good feed back on them. Next order I will order a larger size for my brats. Now myself I add my seasonings after I am done grinding but I also have 15lb meat mixer.
                      Also if you can get your smoker down to the 130 degree range then put sausage in for an hour and then raise it and start the smoke. I don't hang my either I just let lay on the racks. Also after they have rested in the fridge for 24 hours I will seperate my links. No reason for it but its the way I like to do it. So when Ya wanna take picks you can hide the rack marks. lol
                      If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                      Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Smokeguy, nice job on your first batch of sausage! I'm a little concerned about the lack of a cure in your seasoning pack and slow smoking the sausages. The seasoning pack said "fresh brats" so I'm thinking it didn't include curing salt. If your brats got up to finishing temp in 4 hours your ok but this is something you need to consider in the future. Adding the cure to the meat mixture and letting it cure overnight in the fridge allows you to smoke meat at low temps(internal meat temps in the danger zone for more than 4 hours) for longer periods without having to be concerned about "growing the nasties". If you haven't already pick up a copy of Rytek Kutas-Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. Full of info and great recipes.
                        sigpic

GOSM/propane
                        UDS (Cam)/lump
                        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                        Weber Genesis/propane
                        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Thanks all. Some good tips to try on my 2nd batch.

As far as the temps. The seasoning does not have cure in it. But, I was incredibly surprised at how fast the internal temperatures went up. Even when I started out at the 100 degrees for the 1st hour, they went into the low 90 range. When I set it at 150, they kept on going and by the 3rd hour when I had it set for 160 they were already over 140. Then they went into a plateau stage at 146 and even dropped 2 degrees at one point. I expect that from butts, but didn't expect it from ground butt in such relatively little quantities per link. It took about 2.5 hours more, increasing the smoker temp 10 degrees every hour before they hit my targeted 154 degrees.

I've got the Rytek book and hate it -there are too many things in there I want to try! I thought I could source some of my supplies around where I live, but it looks like I'm going to have to order them online instead.

Comment

Wow Smoke guy! Great step by step, ups and downs..
                            I can't wait to get into a position to make my own sausage... great job!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                            X