Chargrilled Oysters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargrilled Oysters

My neighbor came home with a sack of oysters yesterday. I've been wanting some oysters for a while now and even though the temps are frigid here (30's) we shucked them and grilled to perfection.
    The photo is a generic one as i didn't have time to snap real photos. Just wanted to show the goodness.
    Here's the recipe I used.
    The Sauce:

1 Stick Unsalted Butter, very soft
    1 Pinch Kosher Salt
    1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
    4 Tbsp Pecorino Romano
    1 pinch Cayenne
    1 pinch White Pepper
    1 Spritz Lemon Juice
    1 tsp Minced Italian Parsley

Whisk together all ingredients.

For the Oysters:

1 Dozen Large freshly shucked Oysters on the half shell (preferrably Louisiana)
    1 Recipe of the Sauce, above
    Pecorino Romano to finish
    Minced Italian Parsley for garnish
    Fresh Bread
    Lemon wedges

Mix together all of the ingredients.

Heat a charcoal or gas grill until very, very hot. Place the oysters on the hottest spot on the grill and let them cook in their own juices for a few minutes, just until they start to bubble and the edges curl.
    Top each with a generous portion of the sauce, enough to fill up the shell. When the sauce starts to bubble and sizzle sprinkle each oyster with about a Tbsp of Pecorino Romano. Let the Oysters go until the sauce on the edges of the shells gets nice and brown. Garnish with minced Parsley.

Serve while still sizzling with Lemon wedges and fresh bread.
    Attached Files
    Stumps Baby
    Bubba Keg Convection Grill
    Digi Q
    Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
    Custom end grain cutting board
    Superfast Yellow Thermapen
    18 " Smoke Vault
    12" AMNTS
    AMNPS
    Newbie beer brewer

Sounds Great !!!

Wish I had a neighbor like that !!!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

got me drooling, have some oyster

Love them cooked but do not understand how people can eat them raw (it's just a big lump of cold salty snot )

1 Dozen Large freshly shucked Oysters on the half shell (preferrably Louisiana)
      lol the louisiana part could be tricky, but I'll keep an eye out at the fish counters for ordinary oysters
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        got me drooling, have some oyster

Love them cooked but do not understand how people can eat them raw (it's just a big lump of cold salty snot )

lol the louisiana part could be tricky, but I'll keep an eye out at the fish counters for ordinary oysters
        I'm not a big fan of them raw unless they are on a cracker with hot sauce. I prefer them grilled or fried.
        I've never eaten any oysters other than Louisiana. I guess they are somewhat similiar in texture but the taste would probably be different. Not sure what you have up there in the UK. Can you even get oysters there?
        Stumps Baby
        Digi Q
        18 " Smoke Vault
        12" AMNTS
        AMNPS
        Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Frigid? 30 is frigid? Hell..we're 30 degrees warmer than yesterday..a blazing +15°F

But hey..pass a couple od those dee-licious looking oystahs and I'll not ridicule you any more
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

man those look great... I guess you are finding out frigid is a relative term...Just dont let our members from ND look at your post or the will shoot you... they go sun bathing in 30* weather..

yeah pass one here as well please!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I've been looking at the posts from you guys up north. Don't see how you can live in that weather. it rarely gets below freezing here. Not used to the "frigid" temps down south. It's now up to 49 degrees. gonna warm a bit over the next couple of days than more rain and cold for the damn weekend. i want to do some fishing but that's out of the question for another weekend.
              At least you guys up north can do some ice fishing.

Nuttin' betta than fresh oysters right out of the gulf, shuck them yourself then cook'em up.
              If you go to Drago's in NOLA, it would cost $20+ for a dozen chargrilled, but doing them yourself might cost $20-30 total including the oysters and ingredients. But these oysters were FREE so it only cost a few bucks for the stuff we needed.
              Stumps Baby
              Digi Q
              18 " Smoke Vault
              12" AMNTS
              AMNPS
              Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                Love me some oysters... gotta try them Louisiana grown ones... never had them.

Alex, how can you compare the consumption of bivalve mollusks to eating a lump of cold, salty snot? I don't think I've ever eaten cold, salty snot actually... and I'm sure I will never try it.

Raw oysters are da' bomb. They are a pain in the arse to open sometimes, butt well worth the effort.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Ha! Have been to Drago's many times and had the grilled oysters. They are good, but for me the ultimate is a dozen on ice, fresh shucked. Don't need anything else, just a drop of red sauce or maybe a little shot of lemon juice and Tabasco and of course a cold beer. My boss and I often have a dozen followed by a bowl of gumbo for lunch.

As to the different types, the range of textures and difference in flavors is quite amazing. Yes the fresh Gulf oysters rightly deserve their reputation as excellent, but I have had some great ones in Boston, San Francisco, L.A., Portland and lots of other places and they are all different.

If you do cook them, the secret is to cook them just barely. Lots of good restaurants will slip a couple of raw oysters into the gumbo just before serving it, letting the only cooking occur from the hot broth.

Enjoy 44 bbq, a sack of fresh oysters is a treat.
                  A few of my favorite things:
                  Good Whiskey
                  Good Food
                  Bad Girls
                  sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                  Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Tasty gig for sure! Uhhh....(preferably Apalachicola!)
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                      Ha! Have been to Drago's many times and had the grilled oysters. They are good, but for me the ultimate is a dozen on ice, fresh shucked. Don't need anything else, just a drop of red sauce or maybe a little shot of lemon juice and Tabasco and of course a cold beer. My boss and I often have a dozen followed by a bowl of gumbo for lunch.

As to the different types, the range of textures and difference in flavors is quite amazing. Yes the fresh Gulf oysters rightly deserve their reputation as excellent, but I have had some great ones in Boston, San Francisco, L.A., Portland and lots of other places and they are all different.

If you do cook them, the secret is to cook them just barely. Lots of good restaurants will slip a couple of raw oysters into the gumbo just before serving it, letting the only cooking occur from the hot broth.

Enjoy 44 bbq, a sack of fresh oysters is a treat.
                      Fried oysters as so often over-cooked they become dry. Better just to eat them raw or chargrill them. The BP oil spill has hurt the growth of gulf oysters as they are somewhat on the small size and not as plentiful as they one were. Hopefully in a few years the crop will be back or at least on it's way back.
                      And I agree w/you that a couple of raw oysters slipped into a hot cup of seafood gumbo is pretty darn good. Wish I had kept a few from the sack for this weekends gumbo.
                      Born and bred in S. Louisiana, I never did get into raw oysters-i do eat them on a cracker w/a bit of hot sauce but for me, Chargrilled is the way to go.
                      Stumps Baby
                      Digi Q
                      18 " Smoke Vault
                      12" AMNTS
                      AMNPS
                      Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                        Tasty gig for sure! Uhhh....(preferably Apalachicola!)
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I love quahogs more but a fresh oyster with some horseradish is very good .

I guess I just love shellfish of any kind to be fair .
                          Pete
                          Large BGE
                          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                            I love quahogs more but a fresh oyster with some horseradish is very good .

I guess I just love shellfish of any kind to be fair .
                            Never heard of quahogs so I had to Google it. Thought that was another name for rocky mountain oysters.
                            Stumps Baby
                            Digi Q
                            18 " Smoke Vault
                            12" AMNTS
                            AMNPS
                            Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Originally posted by 44 bbq View Post
                              Never heard of quahogs so I had to Google it. Thought that was another name for rocky mountain oysters.
                              Cherry stones is another name and very good. My grandfather taught us how to harvest them as kids at low tide. So, I just grew up with them.

Your post looks great and not trying to derail or lessen it. Sorry if I did, not my intent. I really do love raw oysters. I could eat shell fish 24/7.

As for the Rocky Mountain version, no.....I'll leave that to others

P.S. you're in LA, I love mudbugs as well. Order them (LA crawfish company..the season is almost here) every so often.
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X