Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88's & Louie's SnP is Green...go figure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88's & Louie's SnP is Green...go figure!

Most of ya'll know my neighbor left a SnP. I am the new owner. Ken & SixPack did great work. Me I needed to get something going, cause the Coffin is deceased.

It was really used with charcoal in both sides. Scrapped & washed out with Dawn. Yeah...wish she did....Gilligan's Island. Then I put it in the garage with a hot plate in the fire box & smoke side. I could smell lighter fluid burning off. Smelled enough jet fuel in my life to know.

Yeah Man! Amp Energy Green! Louie's choice.

I'm not a fabricator....airplanes are made outta aluminum, I get along with that stuff. Made a template outta cardboard for the fire side block out. Used my dremel tool with a grinding disc then on my bench grinder to smooth out. Tight fit I'll weld it in later. Zeek...I ain't a welder but I can melt metal to hold. The bottom is a piece of steel from work...free. It was powder coated. I baked it in a oven at work at 500+ for hour's, figure all the goober's are gone that will kill me. The stack extender is...a Bud Can! To be replaced later. I did a test burn to get all the paint happy & I was very impressed with how it was producing heat. I'll get pic's of it as I go forward.

1. 2 thermometer's 2. Better shelf 3. Fire basket outta stretched steel 4. Whatever ya'll recommend. Criticism is the only way I can make it better, unless yer talkin about a Natty!

Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Looks good so far Mike. Nice job.

Tom

Comment

Good job on the smoker. Looks better than new.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Looks great 88. now I have to paint my Chargriller yeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwwwwwwww.
        Last edited by lynsey123; 07-13-2009, 08:07 PM.
        Chargriller Pro w. sfb
        Ducane 4100 propane grill
        Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Nice job Mike. looks great.
          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Damn Mike look at that!! Bet it puts out some good smokes with you and Louie at the helm. I would keep the Bud extender. Classic! And pass me one of those ice cold Natties

the Coffin is deceased.
            Hate when that happens.
            Last edited by Kingudaroad; 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM.
            Keith

Comment

How bad have YOU got it?
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Nice job Mike...Ya made a good looking rig out of that orphaned SnP.
                Steve

Comment

Slanted88: That puppy is going to rock your world bud...Kudos... well deserved
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Beautiful job you did there Mike. Love the Green! Have fun learning the new toy and eating some good eats.
                    One little thought on the plate at the bottom. Some holes for heat and smoke to rise up through might be in order. I've got a similar smoker, not as nice looking though, with movable tuning plates so if you have any questions just give a shout. Sorry about that Coffin. Reminded me of a one time use wood burning stove I saw once.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
                      One little thought on the plate at the bottom. Some holes for heat and smoke to rise up through might be in order. I've got a similar smoker with movable tuning plates
                      Yep. What he said.

You might want to take a look at HawgHeaven's Chargriller Mods thread. Pretty similar smoker and lots of good ideas.

In my SnP I orignally went with 4 tuning plates but only use 3 now.

I find that the larger gaps help with the transfer of heat. I had the area too closed off in the beginning and it was causing some real problems.

Also, I wouldn't weld that baffle in if I were you. I remove mine from the SnP now and again to clean things out.

Yours looks good. I wish I had the heavier style like you have. Mine is pretty thin steel and wind really affects its ability to hold heat.

On Edit: Oh, and if you want to convert it to propane, the Afterburner works GREAT!! The nice thing about it is you can switch back and forth in minutes if you want to do a charcoal smoke.l

Dave
                      Last edited by DDave; 07-14-2009, 07:02 PM.
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Amp green, LOVE IT! great job Mike! I am gonna steal your stack extension idea, perhaps with a big can of AMP!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Nice job Mike, Now about that plate. D Daves is a great way to do an offset, or you can take that plate back to the shop and drill/punch some holes in it.
                          Start with 1/2 inchers near the fire box and have 3/4 in the center and 1 inchers on the far end, leave about 2-3 inches open on the far end so yer fire will draw nice!

Gonna need an 88 sticker for the end near the stack, or an AMP sticker on the stack!
                          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                            Nice job Mike, Now about that plate. D Daves is a great way to do an offset, or you can take that plate back to the shop and drill/punch some holes in it.
                            Start with 1/2 inchers near the fire box and have 3/4 in the center and 1 inchers on the far end, leave about 2-3 inches open on the far end so yer fire will draw nice!

Gonna need an 88 sticker for the end near the stack, or an AMP sticker on the stack!
                            Cool...love feedback to make thing's better. From the block out baffle, between the screws to the end of the steel is 29.75". What is your recommendation for spacing....1/2 to 3/4 to 1. I can do that on the drill press at work.
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I would recommend leaving a 3 inch gap at the end to start with( far end). ten divide the plate into 3rds, in the first 1/3 make the 1/2 inch holes every 2 to 2 1/2 inches on center, in the secound 1/3 you want a little more heat to come up so make them 3/4 " holes about the same on center, or a lil closer together, and on the last portion the 1 " holes about the same.

I would also recommend that the plate is resting 1 1/2 to 2 inches under the grates.

If the draw is slow or temps won't come up correctly, I would keep cutting a portion of the end off 1/2" at a time, and be sure that your baffle plate isn't extended to far under the plate, it just needs to get past the end of the plate and tuck under. If it angles too sharply or too far towards the bottom of the smoke barrel, the draw will suffer too!

One last thing to play with. The level or attitude(for you pilots) of the rig itself.In otherwards the firebox side of the smoke chamber needs to be slightly higher than the exhaust side, but not by alot. This is a nother way to play with draw and heat.

Experiemented alot with my charbroil silver before I got the Lang.Make the changes a little at a time.

I'm sure you'llhave it allfigured out in a few smokes.
                              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Working...
                              X