Marinade w/cure...Maybe Im overthinking this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marinade w/cure...Maybe Im overthinking this

OK...I've been modifying my jerky recipe lately cause Rich and the rest of ya finally convinced me that a cure was needed...

So before the holidays I made up a big ol batch of jerky...12# of beef...Marinade contained about 3.25 cups of liquid and the required amount of tenderquick (1T./2# of meat)...The thing is that there was little to no "excess" liquid when the meat was added...All pieces were coated with the juice...Just no extra...Jerky turned out great...

This weekend Im doing a smaller batch...Tweaking the recipe to increase the liquid...5.5# of beef...Proper amount of tenderquick...And again about 3.25 cups of liquid...Much happier to see the meat swimming in liquid...

And then I start to wonder...
    Since a smaller amount of cure was added to the same amount of liquid have I diluted the cure to a point where it isn't as effective?
    I know the instructions say to use the amount per pound of meat but the cure isn't applied directly to the meat like when curing bacon etc...

Just something to think about...

I drive me crazy sometimes...
    Craig
    sigpic

I dont think thats enuf liquid to compromise the cure. The meat should easily absorb 3 cups. At least your using some cure, i have 20 jerkey recipes that have no cure at all. If you put the meat in a 3 gallon ziploc and squish it around, you dont need so much liquid. You gotta get it back out anyways when you dry it.
    sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
    Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

I always shoot to have the meat absorb all the liquid. Otherwise..you are wasting spice and whatnot. In my experience every 5 pounds of meat will absorb about a cup of liquid.

I use 1 gallon bags that hold 5 pounds nicely..and massage/mix them 3-4 times thru the 24 hour cure time.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

1 gallon bag...5+ pounds of beef...3 cups of liquid...36 hours...When the end of the meat was laid out on the racks just over a cup of liquid was left over...Might be another tweak to the ol recipe coming...
        Dangit...That means another batch of jerky...Ill get this right yet...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          I always shoot to have the meat absorb all the liquid. Otherwise..you are wasting spice and whatnot. In my experience every 5 pounds of meat will absorb about a cup of liquid.

I use 1 gallon bags that hold 5 pounds nicely..and massage/mix them 3-4 times thru the 24 hour cure time.
          Rich has the numbers pretty close for amount of jerky in a gallon bag. A gallon bag filled full to the point you almost cannot seal it, with venison trimmings or ground, is about 8 pounds. However you cant move the meat around and allow for proper distribution of the marinade/cure. 5 lbs I think would be about right.

What did you use for a marinade out of curiousity. I got this tumbler which is itching to be used...
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            1 gallon bag...5+ pounds of beef...3 cups of liquid...36 hours...When the end of the meat was laid out on the racks just over a cup of liquid was left over..
            Likely a cup and a half with what dripped off...

.Might be another tweak to the ol recipe coming...
            Dangit...That means another batch of jerky...Ill get this right yet...
            Oh..the misery of more jerky
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
              What did you use for a marinade out of curiousity. I got this tumbler which is itching to be used...
              Tumbler would be cool...Save a lot of bag massage...Probably speed up the whole process...

This version...
              1 c. lo sodium soy
              1 c. io sodium worch
              1 c. spiced rum
              1/4 c. terri-yucky
              2 T. stupid sauce (or other very hot sauce)
              4 t. A's beef rub
              4 t. onion powder
              3 t. garlic powder
              3 t. fine ground black pepper

And of course 5.# beef and 2.5 T. tenderquick...

Cold smoked for 3-4 hours with the wine soaked oak chunks that I got from my daughter and finished in the oven set on its lowest setting with the door propped open a bit...Smells amazing...Cant wait to try it out...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Tumbler would be cool...Save a lot of bag massage...Probably speed up the whole process...

This version...
                1 c. lo sodium soy
                1 c. io sodium worch
                1 c. spiced rum
                1/4 c. terri-yucky
                4 t. A's beef rub
                4 t. onion powder
                3 t. garlic powder

Cold smoked for 3-4 hours with the wine soaked oak chunks that I got from my daughter and finished in the oven set on its lowest setting with the door propped open a bit...Smells amazing...Cant wait to try it out...
                Yer gonna like the stuff I have been working on. Well, once I get it right anyway. Got some early feedback... not bad...but still needs work I think.

Comment

Oh..the misery of more jerky
                  Yer gonna like the stuff I have been working on. Well, once I get it right anyway. Got some early feedback... not bad...but still needs work I think.
                  Keep trying Rich...Just force yerself...One more batch and you might get it right
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

This version...
                    1 c. lo sodium soy
                    1 c. io sodium worch
                    1 c. spiced rum
                    1/4 c. terri-yucky
                    4 t. A's beef rub
                    4 t. onion powder
                    3 t. garlic powder

Cool beans, will let you know how the tumbler works... was thinkin of setting it up in the fridge so I could walk away from it for a few hours or half a day...

AAAAAAAnd I just so happen to have a bottle of spiced rum!!! thanks for the recipe bro. Tell Lena I said hello. Tell her to get on the puter sometimes and let me know how her job is going.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Just began the test for MH jerky. This is 5.1 lbs. eye of round getting ready for the experiment. I will make a new post with the details. Since I was selected as the "newbie" I am trying to dumb it down as much as I can. Not to offend the newcomer but to think outside the box. "I am new to this and don't have all the equipment/resources others have. "
                      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389479687.070548.jpg

Wish me luck!
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                        Just began the test for MH jerky. This is 5.1 lbs. eye of round getting ready for the experiment. I will make a new post with the details. Since I was selected as the "newbie" I am trying to dumb it down as much as I can. Not to offend the newcomer but to think outside the box. "I am new to this and don't have all the equipment/resources others have. "
                        [ATTACH]20517[/ATTACH]

Wish me luck!
                        This I am looking forward to...
                        Good luck...

For many years the only equipment I ever used was an oven with the door propped open...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Looking good, sir!

Comment

I've thought about this too. My jerky recipe doesn't have cure either, but next batch I'll add it. Mine is a lot of liquid due to the different ingredients. The reason I think about it is cause a brine cure uses a lot more cure 1. To me I'd think the standard weight of cure for 5# wouldn't be sufficient and a lot would be poured down the sink.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                              I've thought about this too. My jerky recipe doesn't have cure either, but next batch I'll add it. Mine is a lot of liquid due to the different ingredients. The reason I think about it is cause a brine cure uses a lot more cure 1. To me I'd think the standard weight of cure for 5# wouldn't be sufficient and a lot would be poured down the sink.
                              Finally...Back to topic...

Does adding more liquid dilute the cure to the point of whats the use...Im just saying...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X