"Newbie" Mad Hunky test build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Newbie" Mad Hunky test build

Ok. Gotta think like I have never cooked anything before. First, I need a recipe.

BANG! got some Mad Hunky jerky test sample today. I have a really nice Merlot but the spouse says no as I it cost more than a few bucks. OK. What if I was new to this? Go to the store and ask for a red wine I can cook with. Guy sells me this. Costs $6.00

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389479989.410260.jpg

Now I need some lean meat. OK. Rich says five pounds. Check. Found some nice Black Angus eye of round. Two cuts. Little one I will cut cross grain and big one with the grain. Might as well try both....

All sliced and ready for the bath.
    Across:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389480151.241542.jpg

With:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389480168.675918.jpg

Mixed up the sample:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389480190.727313.jpg

Smells really good. Although it is a rather fine grind. I DO NOT recommend sticking your nose in the bag and sniffing really hard. Trust me....

More to come when it's time to dry off!
    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Looking good!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Lookin forward to seeing this one through...

I always heard that ya shouldn't ever cook with a wine that you wouldn't drink...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Two days if marinade. Time to dry out. Wanted to use my favorite lump along with some alder and cherry wood.

But that's not what a newbie would so. What would a newbie to smoking do? Well, the spouse won't give up the oven especially at dinner. So off to a local shop and pick up a food dehydrator.

Let's pretend that I don't have any additional spices (so wanted to use Hot Whang)...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389658912.412881.jpg

Not much liquid remaining. Maybe a couple of tablespoons.

Now the waiting begins!
        sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Agree, you should never cook with any wine that you wouldn't drink. And definitely stay away from anything that says "Cooking Wine", as those are full of salt. The bottle you got is an inexpensive wine that should work fine for you. It is a blend of Syrah, Grenache Noir and Carignan which is going to provide some deep flavors for things such as braises or as a marinade. That one in particular is noted to have hints of cherries, raspberries, cinnamon and pepper would should be great for what you are attempting to do. For 6 bucks you really can't go wrong.

Sure looks like you are going to have something fun when it's all done! Can't wait to see the final results.
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Two hours into the dehydration. Surface moisture is gone. Meat still soft. Interesting color coming through

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389660917.905141.jpg
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
              Agree, you should never cook with any wine that you wouldn't drink. And definitely stay away from anything that says "Cooking Wine", as those are full of salt. The bottle you got is an inexpensive wine that should work fine for you. It is a blend of Syrah, Grenache Noir and Carignan which is going to provide some deep flavors for things such as braises or as a marinade. That one in particular is noted to have hints of cherries, raspberries, cinnamon and pepper would should be great for what you are attempting to do.
              Whad he say?
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Fours hours into it. Nice mild aroma coming from the dehydrator. Still way to moist. Gonna have to get in the night to chalk on things so I don't over do it. Considering the amount of meat, the machine is almost full. That much moisture may take some time. Too bad I can't trust it to run until 0500 when I normally get up.

Based on the micro sample I just tried I think it needs a little more kick. However, I need a full size bite to really discern the flavors. It will make a good foundation for sure then adjust to personal tastes. A little black pepper, perhaps Hot Whang as I mentioned earlier. I also have a tiny bit of jalapeño powder that would go right nicely.
                sigpic

Comment

Yer not the first to say "more flavor". Likely..not the last. I intended to not "offend" anyone eating it. Evidently, I was a little too whimpy. Noted. Also note... I DID say I doubt this will be the only test batch to go out.
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
                    Agree, you should never cook with any wine that you wouldn't drink. And definitely stay away from anything that says "Cooking Wine", as those are full of salt. The bottle you got is an inexpensive wine that should work fine for you. It is a blend of Syrah, Grenache Noir and Carignan which is going to provide some deep flavors for things such as braises or as a marinade. That one in particular is noted to have hints of cherries, raspberries, cinnamon and pepper would should be great for what you are attempting to do. For 6 bucks you really can't go wrong.

Sure looks like you are going to have something fun when it's all done! Can't wait to see the final results.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Whad he say?
                    I'm not 100% sure, but it sounded beautiful.
                    Seriously, where do I find this kind of info on wine???

Comment

Originally posted by MrsB View Post
                      I'm not 100% sure, but it sounded beautiful.
                      Seriously, where do I find this kind of info on wine???
                      I think DS should maybe make a post in "The Barstool" forum. I know very little myself. Beers... got it pretty covered. Bourbon..I can hold forth in a conversation of. Wine?

Altho I DO love ports and sherries. Spanish ones mainly.

Comment

I agree Rich. You can't make to meet everyone's needs. Personally, I prefer the whole package concept as I won't make jerky very often and don't have the resources to jump into the sausage realm. I can see it being ideal for the "newbie" to branch out from. Just wish this cow would dry so I can go to bed!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                          Just wish this cow would dry so I can go to bed!!
                          Ok..I KNOW SOMEONE here knows a cow drying dance, right? Huh? C'mon..hep a brudder oot!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Whad he say?
                            The benefits of living in wine country and drinking lots of wine!
                            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                            Frogmats
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Ok. Final product. 1/4" slices, marinaded 48 hours. On a dehydrator for twelve. The racks were all full so I attribute some of the drying time to volume. "Newbie" point of view: don't have a smoker, don't have a variety of woods, can't use the oven all day (wife), bought a dehydrator on the fly.

Actually, I have a Nesco dehydrator with variable temp control. Ran it at 160 for the first five hours them dropped it to 145 for the next seven.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389740090.794682.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389740127.478855.jpg

Nice crunch on the outside. Just a bit of chewiness on the thicker parts. Mild flavor, hint of wine in there. Color was good. Everyone enjoyed the flavor. Most common comments were more heat or more salt. Opinions based on store bought or others with homemade venison experience. All agreed it is a good base to expand to personal flavor preference.

My experience is that the "kit" dumbs it down in terms of dosing the recipe correctly. (I get SO pissed off when I screw up a homemade rub!). I will make it again for sure. I like better than the Backwoods brand from BassPro Shop and so did others. I countered comments about flavor variety from the retail world that this is truly customizable to your tastes. Someone inquired about a teriyaki flavor but didn't know how best to answer that given salt content. WTF, try it anyway. Too salty? Drink more beer!!

Thanks Rich for considering my input. I think any "newbie" to jerky will find this an easy process. I might recommend asking the butcher to slice the roast before you leave the market just to simplify things at home but remember to check all the pieces and trim away any fat.

Thanks again!!

John
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X