Mad Hunky Test Dummy Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Hunky Test Dummy Report

Got my sample package from Rich and opened it up to give it the sniff test. Interesting. I could detect black pepper and Worcestershire
    and not sure what else. Used 1/2 cup bottled water and 1/2 cup red wine. Mixed liquid in with dry spice mix. Tasted the brine and I thought
    it would be 'on the mark'. I had 4.92# of venison already cut 1/4 thick, some being with and some cross grain. I put the meat in a tote and
    poured the mystry mix over it and mixed it well. Then I put all in a 1 gal ziploc and burped the air and sealed it up.
    Into the fridge for a 36 hr nap. Flipped and massaged 4 times.

When I remover from fridge and drained it, I only got maybe 2T of liquid out of it so it was soaked into the meat well.The meat was
    not dripping with moisture so I put on racks and into the smoker. You could definitely see the spice on the meat. Started it at 140* for about 1 hr
    to warm and dry it a little before adding the smoke. I used pecan pellets in my homegrown 'amazed it works' pellet tray and then ran the temp up
    to 155* for 2+ hrs and then raised it to 170+ til finished. Smoke ran for 4 - 4 1/2 hrs. Jerky started getting done at the 4 hr mark and all finished in
    6 hours.

When all was out of the smoker and cool, I cut it and ready to package (after a few sample tastes). First thought was more tender than mine
    (heard wine does that), not salty at all, (I am used to more), spices were noticeable altho I couldn't tell what they might have been
    other than pepper, there again, not overpowering. Two other people that buy mine felt kind of the same way.
    I feel it needs more salt and spicier. Maybe 25% more on salt and spices. I am used to a saltier jerky, so this is just my opinion.
    Not sure if 4.5 hrs of smoke over might have powered the spices. I sent a bag with my son to take to work and let his co-workers
    (lazy city workers) test it. They all said it was OK but not like mine. Felt too mild all the way around.

Today, after 24 hrs being bagged up, I tasted again and a little more flavor came thru. A couple friends stopped over to pick up some
    jerky and snack stix I had made for them and had them do the test. Same deal, said if was alright but could be saltier and spicier.
    I know Rick was making this a mild mix so it wouldn't be too salty / spicy.

Thanks for letting me give it try Rich. This is just my un-paid, un-professional opinion.

These racks are 1/2 inch opening 12ga. stainless screen.

Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Looks good Don!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks like the real thing...
      Nice review...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Nice overview. Got mine soakin right now. Gonna let it sit for a couple of days before I get the cook on. Will keep you advised.
        sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Nice results, great info for Rich, great job.

Comment

Thanks Don... as we talked... duly noted. I think the mix is OK... just need more of it. And maybe a ittle tweak in the black pepper.

Work in progress...
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice review!

Jerky looks great!
              sigpic

Comment

Nice review, Don. I just got my sample yesterday and will have to wait til next weekend to give it a shot. It sounds like the spice and salt level may be more to my liking. I know, I'm a spice wuss, but too salty & heavy spice just dont do it for me. Perhaps the final retail version can come in 2 different spice levels, like Hot Whang & Hot Ass Whang. Im curious how the differences will play out between sliced and ground beef too?

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Thanks Don... as we talked... duly noted. I think the mix is OK... just need more of it. And maybe a ittle tweak in the black pepper.

Work in progress...
                Rich, Don brined his sliced beef for 36 hrs. I usually do an overnight cure in the fridge when I do GB jerky as recommended by the Hi Mountain mix that I normally use. Do you recommend a longer cure time than overnight for Ground beef jerky too?
                Mike
                Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                  Rich, Don brined his sliced beef for 36 hrs. I usually do an overnight cure in the fridge when I do GB jerky as recommended by the Hi Mountain mix that I normally use. Do you recommend a longer cure time than overnight for Ground beef jerky too?
                  Nope. Matter of fact..with ground... no need to really wait at all..or a couple hours is plenty. Since the meat is so "fine" it cures almost immediately.

Glad I got you in- for the "less spicy" crowd. Indeed I did try to offend no one. Yes..perhaps there will be a few versions... as I really dig a jalepeno jerky too :{)
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Rich, Im looking forward to trying it out next weekend. Smokerdean lives close to me, so I'll send him a PM to be an official taste tester too. I doubt if he will complain.
                    Mike
                    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Glad I got you in- for the "less spicy" crowd. Indeed I did try to offend no one. Yes..perhaps there will be a few versions... as I really dig a jalepeno jerky too :{)
                      Gonna come up with a ghost pepper version that cooks itself?

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                        Gonna come up with a ghost pepper version that cooks itself?
                        throw in some acetic acid and it would literally do that
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                          I just got my sample yesterday and will have to wait til next weekend to give it a shot.
                          Same here.

We actually have a small local butcher shop in town now so I'm going swing by and see if I can get 5 pounds of top round sliced 1/4" rather than mutilated and shredded the way the Safeway butcher does it.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            throw in some acetic acid and it would literally do that

Comment

Working...
                            X