Still good after over 30 years.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still good after over 30 years.....

This really is my "go-to" recipe for jerky; we got it from some family friends around 1981 or 82, and in all the years since, I really haven't found one that surpasses it; in fact, I'm making some of this today, using ground venison (it works for meat strips, too).

This recipe is good for probably 4 to 6 pounds of jerky, with 5 pounds as a good average. We'd always just use a gallon jar and fil it up with sliced strips of venison. A person can add a little pepper if s/he chooses, but it really isn't necessary. I am going to commit blasphemy and list the liquid smoke, but we all know how to deal with that.

1/4 cup Morton Tender-Quik (or 1.5 teaspoons per pound of meat)
    1 tsp Alpine Touch (www.alpinetouch.com)
    2 tbsp sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
    1 tbsp liquid smoke
    1/2 tsp garlic salt (I use garlic powder)
    1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
    For those of you who aren't lucky enough to have Alpine touch in your area, a very reasonable clone can be made thusly:

3 tbsp canning or pickling salt
    1.5 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp "Accent" or MSG (optional)
    2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    *1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground juniper berries (the original Alpine Touch had this, but the new stuff doesn't)

I mix this up and put in shaker - yields about 1/3 cup.
    Enjoy ~
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

so do you use any liquid ?

if not how to make sure the spice blend is distributed evenly ?
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for sharing Ron, sounds like a good jerky recipe to try!
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
        so do you use any liquid ?

if not how to make sure the spice blend is distributed evenly ?
        Hi, Alex -

Normally when making this, I use thin-sliced venison, which releases a lot of moisture. The meat is mixed/stirred/turned often during the curing - distributing the cure - and over time it sucks the moisture back up. Since my ultimate goal is to dehydrate the meat, I generally don't add any liquid; however, a person can add liquid of their choice (I've used water and apple juice, and am trying beer next time). The amount is subjective, but "just enough to cover the meat" is not unreasonable.

Today, using ground venison, The meat seemed very moist to me, so I didn't add any. I mixed it for about 10 minutes with an old-fashioned hand-held potato masher until it was just bordering on "spongy." In the past, this has worked very well and I've never had a problem with distribution of cure; however, if one chooses, one can add liquid as mentioned above, perhaps 1 to 1.5 cups for 5 pounds of meat.
        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by Marty
          Thanks for sharing Ron, sounds like a good jerky recipe to try!
          It's pretty dang good stuff, Marty - I think you'd like it if you tried it, either on its own or with Tatonka Dust substituted for the Alpine touch!
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Like you... I tend to seasonings used lightly... so you get some of the meat flavor coming thru in the jerky. That's one of my turn offs of the teriyaki/heavy flavored styles.

I WILL say there is a place for those... if you try pork loin jerky...pork does not have the flavor of beef/venison in my opinion, and can use some help. this is where the heavier flavored mixes shine.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              ... so you get some of the meat flavor coming thru in the jerky.
              You got it! My buddies ask what that flavor is in my jerky, I tell them it is the meat flavor not a cover-up.

Comment

Working...
              X