Can I have your input please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have your input please?

so I started with about a 7 lb shoulder from a pig we killed in the past... this thing has been sitting for about 18months in the freezer... think I saw something in freezing meats and then curing... so I thought I'd try it... I took 1 cup of tenderquick, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup sugar in the raw, 2 tbls dill, 2 tbls smitty, 1 tbls chile powder, 1 tbls honey and I think that was it... oh yeah, tablespoon rosemary... sounds but i bet it will come out nice... did canadian bacon like this and it impressed Steve (walking dude)... well he ate it anyways... so I mixed it all with about a gallon of water and put it in my brine bucket... (5 gallon pail I got from the local wally world in their bakery... had icing in it) let the shoulder thaw enough to unwrap it and then into the bucket with the solution... filled a ziploc with water and put it on top to make sure it stays submerged... so going off of the time vs inch thing... 7days per inch... looking like about 21 days... hmmm... little nervous about it... was started on sunday the 12th... checked it and rolled it over last night and it sure does look pretty... any thoughts?

sigpic

Might wanna think about injecting some of the curing brine into the middle of the meat so it can be curing. The meat in the center could potentially spoil before the cure gets to it.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

dry rub is approx 3-4 days per inch (erring on the safe side)
      A brine would be a little quicker, say 2-3 days per inch - but it certainly wouldn't hurt to inject some :-)
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

right... got that... forgot to mention it... thats why I throw it out there... to make sure I'm thinking of everything... thanks again fellers...

sigpic

Comment

That brine sounds awesome. I bet that pig part is gonna be tasty!
          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Working...
          X