X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bavarian Poppy Seed Tort

Poppy Seed Tort
    by Markus Farminger of the American Culinary Institute

I was listening to Baking with Julia Childs as I was doing my school work. They made this and I just had to make one! Here is the video.
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2256399755/

(The recipe calls for apricots and I could not find any so I had to use nectarines. Not such a great choice, they don't peel well and they get mushier than apricots, but I got through it! The fruit is a little sloppy.)

Ingredients;
    2 sticks butter softened
    12 apricots fresh ripe
    9 cups H2O
    2 cups ice cubes
    1.5 cup sugar
    ½ vanilla bean
    1 wedge fresh ginger
    7 Tbs + ¼ cup powdered sugar
    7 Tbs sugar
    1 Tbs cinnamon
    1 lemon zest
    7 eggs separated, save both
    1 1/3 cups lady fingers grated
    2 ¼ + ¼ cups black poppy seed (blue/gray shells on) ground (coffee grinder)
    1 tbs espresso (brewed)
    ½ lemon juiced
    1 baking round pan (or spring form)
    2 parchment paper circles (to fit baking pan)
    2 cardboard circles
    Spray vegetable oil
    Fresh whipped cream

Blanch 12 apricots and quench in ice water (3cups + 3 cups H2O)
    Peel skin from apricots
    Mix poaching liquid, 3 cups H2O, 1.5 cups sugar, bring almost to boil. Add ½ vanilla bean and ginger wedge

Cool to simmer, add apricots and simmer covered till knife pulls without resistance. Set aside off of heat.

Preheat over to 350°F.

Batter
    Mix 2 sticks butter to loosen, add 7 Tbs powdered sugar, mix slow or medium
    Add 1 Tbs cinnamon, lemon zest, mix to cream.
    Add 2 yolks, mix till smooth, add 2 more yolks, mix. If not mixing smoothly heat mixing bowl on stove. Mix till smooth, add 3 yolks mix till creamy, dull - not shiny. Move to bowl. Clean mixing bowl.

Grate 1 1/3 cups lady fingers (cake crumbs) on to parchment paper. Grind 2.25 cups black poppy seeds in coffee grinder. Pour on top on cake crumbs through strainer. Set aside.

Prepare baking pan, cut parchment circles and cardboard, spray with veg. oil, add parchment to circle to bottom.

Meringue
    Add 7 egg whites and 7 Tbs sugar to mixing bowl, whisk by hand to start, whisk on Med. To soft medium peaks. Fold ½ meringue to batter bowl, fold together easily. Add ¼ poppy seed mix, fold. Add rest of meringue, fold to center, pour in the rest of the poppy seed, fold. Add 1 Tbs espresso and lemon juice. Fold till well mixed. Pour into baking pan, flatten top and mark for 12 pieces.
    Seed and cut apricots in to halves. Place 12 apricot halves on to edge of 12 pieces marked on Tort.
    Place in 350°F oven for 35 - 40 minutes.

While warm, cut sides clear from pan. Place parchment circle, then cardboard on top. Flip and remove from pan. Peel parchment paper off, replace cardboard and flip back over.
    Place remaining 12 apricot halves on top of the 12 already in the tort, dust with powdered sugar. (It was getting late, I forgot the sugar)

Cut and serve with fresh whipped cream on the side and garnished with poppy seeds.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Beautiful! Is it as good as it looks?
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Yes, very good. A really different flavor.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Looks and sounds great. Bet it was good. Like poppy seeds too. But I won't go near them. If you're subject to surprise pee tests, you'll know why.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
          Looks and sounds great. Bet it was good. Like poppy seeds too. But I won't go near them. If you're subject to surprise pee tests, you'll know why.
          I never though of that, naa can't show up as opium, there isn't any in it.
          Mark
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            I never though of that, naa can't show up as opium, there isn't any in it.
            It's not a myth. Know 2 people who tested positive. My brother is one. Both ate a lemon poppy seed muffin for breakfast. Luckily both are in a union. They didn't lose their jobs, but had some explaining to do. I don't. Not worth it to find out.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Ya learn sumptin everyday, not sumptin good jus somptin!
              Mark
              sigpic

Comment

Wow, I looked it up on Snopes, it's true!
                Boy would I fail a pee test right now!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp
                Origins: Drug testing has become more and more prevalent in our society, and while urine and blood analysis are the most common methods employed to that end, the tests themselves are not infallible and can sometimes produce skewed results. Indeed, something as innocuous as the poppy seeds on a bagel or muffin or in a slice of cake can make the drug-free look like heroin users.

Opiates (morphine and codeine) can be detected in urine for at least 48 hours after one eats food containing poppy seeds. As little as a single Poppy seed bread bagel covered with poppy seeds could produce a false positive test for these drugs.

In 1990, a veteran St. Louis police officer was suspended for four months because his drug test showed positive for morphine after he'd eaten four poppy seed bagels the day before the urine sample was taken. He was reinstated with back pay after it was determined that poppy seeds and not drug use had produced those results. His case was especially puzzling to the department because the officer in question had a steady work record and demonstrated no indications of any problems before this incident was flagged during a random drug screen. The department performed an experiment by having another officer eat four poppy seed bagels and take a drug test. He, too, tested positive for morphine, confirming the poppy seed effect theory.
                Read more at http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/...yzgptRl1Z6u.99
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                  It's not a myth. Know 2 people who tested positive. My brother is one. Both ate a lemon poppy seed muffin for breakfast. Luckily both are in a union. They didn't lose their jobs, but had some explaining to do. I don't. Not worth it to find out.
                  Uhmmm yup. A place I used to work at did EXTENSIVE testing on everyone... government contracts... slightest trace of anything lead to interogation and if deemed "guilty of abuse", yo' ass was outta there. Period. Love me some poppy seed tho...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have been looking at this for a few days...trying to figger out how I can get my hands..and teeth! on one. Fabulous flavor. Love poppy seeds! Torts are big in hunky baking too..along with a butter rich pastry dough roll-up called a "Kolatch"

Here's a way-back recipe.... Mmmm poppyseed filling...butter... Ah gads, I'm dyin' here!

http://recipecurio.com/kolatch-recipe-clipping/
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      I have been looking at this for a few days...trying to figger out how I can get my hands..and teeth! on one. Fabulous flavor. Love poppy seeds! Torts are big in hunky baking too..along with a butter rich pastry dough roll-up called a "Kolatch"

Here's a way-back recipe.... Mmmm poppyseed filling...butter... Ah gads, I'm dyin' here!
                      The recipe it there, just leave yourself most of a day the first time. I think I can stream line it a good bit the NEXT time, and I have plenty of poppy seeds. Wish I could find some fresh apricots.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        Wow, I looked it up on Snopes, it's true!
                        Boy would I fail a pee test right now!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp
                        Told you. I have to pee in a cup for every two year physical, randomly and in the event of an accident. The last two are what worry me. I avoid them all together. And I love them. Go figure.

I'd have to eat a slice or two on Friday night, and hope they didn't surprise me on Monday. Or have an accident. Lol.
                        S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Yep...you would. Opioid-like formations. Drug tests are too dumb to know the difference in the metabolites. Well..there ain't MUCH difference...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

oops forgot the recipe...

http://recipecurio.com/kolatch-recipe-clipping/

Comment

Snicker, snicker - they don't test Pool Tech's!
                              Ohhhh, that's right - just in the kitchen open the fridge and.....
                              That wasn't very nice Mark!
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X