MH ground beef Jerky test under way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH ground beef Jerky test under way

Now that the Weekend is here, I got my MH Jerky test batch in the dehydrater now. Im used to being the odd man out, so mine is made with Ground beef. Mrs Otis had her front teeth crowned as a kid from a bicycle fall, and has since been leery of having to tear food with her front teeth. So, ground beef jerky is the jerky we have made here for a while now, and I really like it too. Thanks Rich for letting me try your test sample.

Here's the ingredients. The VO & Coke are going to the cook for "direct absorption", not in the jerky mix

Luckily, Safeway had 93% lean ground beef on sale and they usually have very good meat.

Not being a wine drinker, I relied on Google to rate this wine. They seemed to like it and it has a Kangaroo on the label (Cant be all bad). Actually, I heard Yellow Tail is a good, if mass produced wine. Tastes like wine to me very dry wine.

All mixed up! Better make another me VO & Coke to celebrate! In the Fridge for an overnight cure. Rich says you dont need to do that with GB, but the Hi Mountain mix and others I used state to do it, so I decided to do it anyway (plus it was a Friday night). Hope it doesnt change anything.

This morning, I grabbed the Jerky cannon and Im ready to get after it.

It worked out perfect! 5 lbs completely filled 4 dehydrater trays. Ready for the final step. 2 trays went straight into the dehydrator in the garage and 2 trays went into the ChinaMasterbuilt for 6 hrs of Hickory smoke with BBQ Island Hickory pellets in my AMNPS.

Its been in the Dehydrator for about 2 hrs now. Man I cant wait to try the first "chef's sample". Our garage is smelling pretty good about now.

I printed up some test report sheets using Merril's categories of Taste, spice level, smokiness, salt level, and overall impressions to pass out to my certifiable taste testers.
    To Be Continued.....
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Looks great so far.....
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

Nuttin wrong with ground meat jerky...

I like that yer doin smoked vs. non smoked...
      Good job...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Looking good, nice to see this type made for Rich's test. And you say you have certifiable testers. Is that certifiable by a psychologist type of certifiable?

Jus' wondering, thought it was pretty funny.

Comment

Looking good!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

I like that yer doin smoked vs. non smoked...
            Good job...
            I do too! Thank you for that Mr. Otis!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looking good. I got positive feedback from my testers. Most agreed that it is a good base from which to expand personal tastes.
              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
                And you say you have certifiable testers. Is that certifiable by a psychologist type of certifiable?

Jus' wondering, thought it was pretty funny.
                With my group, I'd say by the psychologist definition.
                Mike
                Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Glad you're trying the ground meat too. Like your thorough approach. Will be watching.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Looks good from here...
                    God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                    Weber Performer Gold
                    Masterbuilt 26" twins
                    Big Chief Electric smoker
                    Brinkmann barrel smoker
                    LEM sausage stuffer
                    Cabela's pro HD grinder
                    Maverick ET-732
                    ThermoWorks Thermapen
                    GrillGrates

Comment

Both versions are done. My initial thoughts are the salt level is just a smidge light, but dont go too much more. Spice level is mild too, but the flavor is great! Mrs Otis likes it as is, as for me, a tad more heat would be great!

The hickory smoked version was the winner, hands down. The cold smoking for 6 hrs was spot on to give it a smoky flavor w/o too much smokiness.

This is the first time Ive made jerky with wine, but will definitely do it again. The wine taste comes through in a subtle, but noticeable way that compliments the spices. I'll post the scores when my brew crew comes by.

Rich, you're on the right track and the final product will surely be in my jerky kit when you're done. Thanks for the opportunity to give it a try.
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Great work Mike... I appreciate it! Mods to your specs have been made... as everyone else pretty much agreed on the same points.

I'll come up with some sort of special for you guys when it's done. One can't buy this kind of support...but one can support it.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

looks good.
                          And for a totally thorough test

One thing you could do rich, is to package a little spice boost with it, for sprinkling on afterwards.

I've done this a couple of times with whole muscle jerky and with the sausage crisps - which were deliberately made bland for exterior flavouring. A light dusting on the outside of the jerky really adds a solid hit of flavour - it's what i did to the pigeon I sent you.

That way you can make the original jerky recipe and then just spice up for those who want more bite.

You grind the boost ultra fine and 1 teaspoon does 2-3 lb cooked jerky.
                          In fact just use very finely ground hotwhang
                          You add it while the jerky's warm and that way it sticks to the fat and moisture that's still present on the surface.

It's a scaled down version of one of the jobs I used to have when I worked at the cookie/biscuit factory. Crackers are always backed healthy and dry - then the flavour is mixed with oil and sprayed on the crackers as they come out of the oven.

When I was on flavouring I used to flavour over 1,000,000 mini-chedars an hour.
                          That was actually one of the better jobs lol
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            looks good.
                            And for a totally thorough test

One thing you could do rich, is to package a little spice boost with it, for sprinkling on afterwards.

I've done this a couple of times with whole muscle jerky and with the sausage crisps - which were deliberately made bland for exterior flavouring. A light dusting on the outside of the jerky really adds a solid hit of flavour - it's what i did to the pigeon I sent you.

That way you can make the original jerky recipe and then just spice up for those who want more bite.

You grind the boost ultra fine and 1 teaspoon does 2-3 lb cooked jerky.
                            In fact just use very finely ground hotwhang
                            You add it while the jerky's warm and that way it sticks to the fat and moisture that's still present on the surface.

It's a scaled down version of one of the jobs I used to have when I worked at the cookie/biscuit factory. Crackers are always backed healthy and dry - then the flavour is mixed with oil and sprayed on the crackers as they come out of the oven.

When I was on flavouring I used to flavour over 1,000,000 mini-chedars an hour.
                            That was actually one of the better jobs lol
                            Thanks for the points, CA.
                            Good idea on the flavor packet too. I think I'll give that a try with some Hot Whang on a few sticks and see how it comes out.
                            Mike
                            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Great write up!
                              sigpic
                              BGE XL
                              BGE Mini
                              MAK 1 star #385
                              Bradley OBS w/Mods
                              Weber 22.5 WSM
                              Weber 22.5 Kettle
                              Pit Barrel Cooker
                              La Caja China
                              Mini-WSM