I'm Done With Tomatos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Done With Tomatos

I wanted to make some homemade salsa this summer to can for winter... Ahhhh not so much... With these hot ass Texas summer days just kick the snot out of tomato plants along with spider mites, I'm Done with them... So again I waste space in the garden growing these.. Rather than my peppers so I can make my Chipoltle Sauce.....

So out of a dozen Roma tomato plants this is all I had left on the vines..

I had to put a fork in the pic so you get the idea of the size they are... Tiny arse Romas....This is the most maters I have pulled at one time.. And the vines are bare.. 3 1/2 months again wasted...

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

That sucks Ken. I want to give maters a try next year.
    Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
    Weber Performer
    Weber 22.5" OTG
    Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
    Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
    Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
    BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Are ya gonna cut any in half and smoke them to make salsa with? I've never heard of smokin' tomatoes before, but I bet it would make for some super tastin' salsa.

John

Comment

Wow Ken don't give up. Same problem some friends of mine are having down there, Roma tomatoes too. They decided next year they will put theirs in one of those upside down buckets. Their daughter did that with all her plants and she is having a bumper crop. She lives there in the DFW area, they got heat too. Might think it over and take a look into it. Home grown sure beats store bought. Besides, your from Texas, even nature knows you don't mess with Texas.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
          Are ya gonna cut any in half and smoke them to make salsa with? I've never heard of smokin' tomatoes before, but I bet it would make for some super tastin' salsa.

John
          Smoked then dried tomatoes...Do it! tons of uses...
          Dont give up Ken...After a few years of drought, you'll have floods! After all...Its Texas!
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post

John

John I like taking them and fire roasting them on the grill... Char the skins and then cover the grill to smoke for a few minutes... Pull and let cool.. After cooling I will split and de-seed. Chop and mix with other veggies to make a Fire Roasted Salas..

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
            Wow Ken don't give up. Same problem some friends of mine are having down there, Roma tomatoes too. They decided next year they will put theirs in one of those upside down buckets. Their daughter did that with all her plants and she is having a bumper crop. She lives there in the DFW area, they got heat too. Might think it over and take a look into it. Home grown sure beats store bought. Besides, your from Texas, even nature knows you don't mess with Texas.

Dave I have been fighting this battle for 19 years here at this house... I thought it was the dirt or topsoil I was growing it in...I have added I bet over a ton of organic material to this bed... The only thing left is to send a soil sample to the local Ag and see what they say... All other plants do great other than squash.. I really feel I could grow better tomatoes in the bed of my truck than in my garden...
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Growin in Texas has got to be a challenge...

An old friend of mine ( a self proclaimed Texas redneck) told me that the wind in Texas comes straight outta Hell!
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Sorry about the tomatoes Ken. I had the same problem here, not only with tomatoes, but couldn't grow anything. Too much alkali and clay. Found a truck garden on the other side of town where I can pick tomatoes for $5.00 for almost a bushel pail. No need to waste my time trying to grow them.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Sorry about the tomatoes, Ken. Last year it was in the 80's already in June and the tomatoes went stupid. The cukes, not so good. This year it's been cooler and real dry. The tomatoes aren't doing so hot, but the cukes are going nuts.

Last year I canned tomatoes, this year I'll be lucky to get a BLT. Last year I was lucky to have cukes for a salad, this year I might be making pickles. Go figure.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

i did a organic garden this year no chemicals at all...my tomatoes went nuts and are fully loaded but....the heat is killing them ....nothing i can do but sit back and let them go hopefullly the cooler weather we are gettin, might perk them back up....now my squash is a different story....ken sorry to hear about the maters better luck next year.....
                    Mike
                    Oklahoma City
                    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                    Weber 22.5 Performer
                    GOSM 3405gw
                    Boomer Sooner Drum
                    Maverick ET-732
                    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Sorry about your tomatoes Ken...But you did get some... Up here mine just started to flower... But I'm gardening challenged... I can only hope for the best...
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

That sucks Dude.
                        I absolutely LOVE fresh garden maters.
                        Not that stuff called on the vine in the grocery store.
                        Good last resort, but nothing like the real home grown deal.
                        Maybe a farmers market for your salsa needs?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

Dave I have been fighting this battle for 19 years here at this house... I thought it was the dirt or topsoil I was growing it in...I have added I bet over a ton of organic material to this bed... The only thing left is to send a soil sample to the local Ag and see what they say... All other plants do great other than squash.. I really feel I could grow better tomatoes in the bed of my truck than in my garden...

Wow, 19 years, now thats a fight for ya. But ya know, tomatoes are temperamental plants. That want some warmth, but anything over about 92 gets them into the shut down phase and of course at about 98 they go into the see ya net year phase. I have heard about people putting up 6' stakes the lenghth of their tomatoe beds and then stretching that weed fabric above them. Supposed to just let enough light in, and give them the shielding from the sun. Thing there is, that fabric ain't cheap and it probably wouldn't take much of a storm to do them in. As far as the pick up bed goes...I knew a lady once that did that. They had 3 pick up beds that they grew the garden in. Kept the rabbits out and they had some good veggies in there. but unless you had access to a lot of good clean dirt, buying topsoil and fertilizer would be pretty expensive.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                            As far as the pick up bed goes...I knew a lady once that did that. They had 3 pick up beds that they grew the garden in. Kept the rabbits out and they had some good veggies in there. but unless you had access to a lot of good clean dirt, buying topsoil and fertilizer would be pretty expensive.
                            Not to mention the dirty looks from the neighbors...

Might get away with it in Texas tho...
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

wow thats still a good looken plate and more than i got off my vines.
                              just got to hot to early for mine.
                              Terry here
                              Still have Christene

Comment

Working...
                              X