My BEP's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BEP's

Almost all southerners love BEP's ... You guys up North not so much. My wife is a Southern girl and never really like BEP's ... She said they taste muddy...Didn't taste muddy to me.. So I thought I would try something a bit different.. Its simple and cheap...

The ingredients..

Can of Black Eye Peas
    1- pickled Jalapeno
    Med Onion
    3 TSP Butter

Copped and ready... Don't forget to put the Onion shuck in the compost pile..:wink:

In the melted butter on Medium heat...

Get the onion and pepper up to a boil... Cover and turn it down to as low as you can get.. Just want to simmer..Keeping it covered is a important .. Do not let to much moisture escape... You want to slow caramelize the onions.. Simmer for 10 Min..It should look like this or close to it..

Now at the end of the 10 min. Add 1 TBS. of butter.. Cover and simmer for 5 more min.

Turn heat off... Let stand covered for 5-10 minutes.. Add your can of peas and bring it back to a boil...

Once to a boil cut back to a low simmer covered.. Stirring about every 5 min. If you would like to add Crispy bacon now is the time... The meat only no bacon fat... cook for 45 min. to a hour and a half. Adding water as needed.

Taste test the peas..Make sure they are Soft... Kill the heat and let stand... They should look close to this.. Almost creamy..

The longer they set the better they will taste... The butter with the sugars from the onion come out..Really makes this Side...

You can use dried BEP's .. But it will take longer...

Enjoy.!!!!
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

That looks like a fine meal Ken. I need to start a bean dish folder for all these recipes I guess. The only thing I ever made with BEP's was hoppin john. The BEP Title caught my eye????????????

Comment

Where's that cornbread............? Heck mama put BEPs in my baby bottle, makes my mouth water just lookin atem.
      20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
      36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
      22" webber
      several burners
      pool/spa (of course)
      sigpic

Comment

Well since i'm married to a Linda Lou, you can bet I eat plenty of em! Gonna try em like ya got there!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks real tasty Ken. My whole family loves BEP. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
          Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
            Almost all southerners love BEP's ... You guys up North not so much. My wife is a Southern girl and never really like BEP's ... She said they taste muddy...Didn't taste muddy to me.. So I thought I would try something a bit different.. Its simple and cheap...

The ingredients..

Can of Black Eye Peas
            1- pickled Jalapeno
            Med Onion
            3 TSP Butter

Copped and ready... Don't forget to put the Onion shuck in the compost pile..:wink:

In the melted butter on Medium heat...

Get the onion and pepper up to a boil... Cover and turn it down to as low as you can get.. Just want to simmer..Keeping it covered is a important .. Do not let to much moisture escape... You want to slow caramelize the onions.. Simmer for 10 Min..It should look like this or close to it..

Now at the end of the 10 min. Add 1 TBS. of butter.. Cover and simmer for 5 more min.

Turn heat off... Let stand covered for 5-10 minutes.. Add your can of peas and bring it back to a boil...

Once to a boil cut back to a low simmer covered.. Stirring about every 5 min. If you would like to add Crispy bacon now is the time... The meat only no bacon fat... cook for 45 min. to a hour and a half. Adding water as needed.

Taste test the peas..Make sure they are Soft... Kill the heat and let stand... They should look close to this.. Almost creamy..

The longer they set the better they will taste... The butter with the sugars from the onion come out..Really makes this Side...

You can use dried BEP's .. But it will take longer...

Enjoy.!!!!
            sweet. thats is them. it has been a while since you posted them. my O my time flys. and they still are great. thanks TH
            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

THIS Yankee loves black eyed peas... thank you! An' those look great!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

nice.
                SCOTT

Comment

do like me some beans.

Have to try this.
                  Unfortunately I'm the only one in the house who likes refrito beans.
                  These might have more mass appeal
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I'm born and bred Californian, but both my folks are Upstate NY they love BEP. traditional good luck dish for New Years Eve. And yeah Ken, I've always thought they had an "earthy" taste to em too
                    I do mine with a ham hock but those look great too!
                    JT

Comment

looks great. i fry up a little bacon ends & pieces w/ garlic for mine before adding the rest. gotta have @ least once a month.
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

cant say i ever had them cept maybe in one of them 12 bean soup mixes or something, but never on there own... definitly give it a whirl... i like beans pretty much so be a nice addition. thks for sharing Ken!!!
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Tried these many,many moon's ago, and didn't care for them, when I lived down in FLA.
                          But back then as a youngster, too damn picky.
                          But being older and wiser, and knowin how I love most southern foods,
                          I'm just gonna have to give it a try! peas-bacon-creamy-heat?
                          Damn-that looks awful good Tex. !

Comment

Never have tried them, but the way you fixed them looks pretty good. On the list
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, And Praise the lord and pass the corn bread:)

Comment

Working...
                              X